C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Any recommended shops in Northern Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 02:07 PM
glide
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'19

Default Any recommended shops in Northern Virginia

I'm looking to change my 4 speed transmission to a 5 speed for better (and quieter) drives on the highway. Does anybody know a good (and fair) shop in NoVa? I live in Manassas, Virginia. Found a shop but they wanted $7k minus $2k for my old tranny (original). Are we in the ballpark? Seems high to me. Should I even give up original 4 speed? Original motor is already gone, so I figures if I add a modern trans to the new crate engine I can call it a resto mod, eh. Also looking to upgrade original radio, speaker.... Like to get this done before Christmas if possible. Oh, I'm talking about my 1966 Coupe with a sbc).

TIA
Glide (John)
Old 11-20-2018, 04:57 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Contact Chuck Berge, Haymarket Va. He operates Still Crusing Corvettes. 703-754-1960, or 703-629-0206 Hopefully he can help.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:19 PM
glide
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13,'19

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Contact Chuck Berge, Haymarket Va. He operates Still Crusing Corvettes. 703-754-1960, or 703-629-0206 Hopefully he can help.
I have his card from a show I attended. I'll give him a call. It helps that somebody else has heard of him. Did he do any work for you or a friend?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2018, 07:28 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

He has not done work for me, but he does have a good reputation in Maryland and Virginia and is a long time Vette enthusiast. What rear ratio do you have? How much driving do you do in a year in 65-80mph range where the RPM's are really buzzing the motor? Do you have side exhaust? Spending 4-5K , maybe more on this conversion will buy a lot of gas. Some conversions also get the crossmember mod so the install is much easier,= extra cost. Keep your trans since someone in the future just might consider it a point in the sale of the car. Search the archives for "radio upgrade". Many on here have had their radio gut upgraded including a speaker. As far as getting tis done before Christmas, I wish you luck. Dennis
Old 11-20-2018, 07:30 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

John, I've known Chuck Berge since the 80's, since before he moved to Haymarket. (He actually used to live in Manassas.) Chuck definitely has his finger on the pulse of the Corvette hobby in your area. If he can't or doesn't do something himself, he will surely know who can. I would definitely trust his opinion.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 11-20-2018, 08:46 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

This shop is really good
https://www.tonyscorvetteshop.com/
Old 11-20-2018, 08:59 PM
MagicDragon
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny both Tony's and Chuck's shops are mentioned in this post. I have known both of these guy's for 20+ years. Tony inspected my first Callaway for the buyer and is known and respected throughout the area. Chuck appraised my second Callaway and also has a great reputation for doing great work. You can't go wrong with either of these stand-up gentlemen. GL with your swap, I think you will enjoy the change.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:59 AM
5821driver
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Anyone have any opinions or experience with Fantom Works?
Old 11-25-2018, 12:11 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by 5821driver

Frankie the Fink
(aka, FTF) has visited the facility and commented on them in the past. You might send him a PM and ask him.

I met and spoke with Dan a while back at Corvettes at Carlisle and was impressed with his background and general lack of BS when answering questions. His show had recently started but there was little evidence of 'stardom' in the way he responded to folks.

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 11-25-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:39 PM
hcallaway
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 345 Posts
Default Opinion Only

One person told me about his experience with Dan. His opening question pretty much was how much do you have to spend.Not what do you need done. Others have said that he can blow a final bill up like no other. His shop tends to have a high turnover, this may be the result of exposure that allows his employees to go on their own. Plenty of shops in general with better reputations. I do think his builds are getting better on TV.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:30 PM
5821driver
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I really only know him from his show. I am impressed with his work when I see the end result on TV. As a fellow retired military test pilot as Dan is, I do like his attitude of no BS and everything should be done one way, the right way! He gets upwards of $100/hr labor charge. Does that seem right to everyone? I live in Florida and will have to ship my 67 to him to do a complete evaluation of the car to see what needs to be done. *A little history: I was the original of this 67 coupe, sold it in 73 so haven't seen it in almost 47 years. I am now buying it back, mainly for posterity but do want it to be in excellent condition so that's why I need a complete and honest evaluation of the car". Don't know where else to look. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:11 AM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

I wouldn't bring a bicycle to that shop. JMHO
Old 11-26-2018, 09:50 AM
C2Scho
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 496 Likes on 304 Posts

Last edited by C2Scho; 07-05-2020 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:02 AM
hcallaway
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 345 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...63-vert-2.html

Read this thread and you will not go any where near this shop.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:20 AM
iflyto
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Used Tony's Corvette shop for an alignment after replacing trailing arms a few years ago, they did a great job and was reasonably priced.
Alex
Old 11-26-2018, 12:54 PM
Jonz79
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

There is this shop in Chantilly VA. (link below) However, I know NOTHING regarding the quality of their work. Please do let us know who you end up using, if any. I also live in NOVA, and would like to know, if needed, of a good/trusted shop that is not drinking the NOVA Kool-Aid, (which induces the falsehood that everyone who lives here is stupid, and rich). For instance, I,....... am just stupid.

https://corvettemotorsports.com/
Old 11-27-2018, 03:55 PM
glide
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13,'19

Originally Posted by Jonz79
There is this shop in Chantilly VA. (link below) However, I know NOTHING regarding the quality of their work. Please do let us know who you end up using, if any. I also live in NOVA, and would like to know, if needed, of a good/trusted shop that is not drinking the NOVA Kool-Aid, (which induces the falsehood that everyone who lives here is stupid, and rich). For instance, I,....... am just stupid.

https://corvettemotorsports.com/
Joe (above) is a one man band and charges $105/hr. Seems to know his **** and it's the 'slow season' so I might git ur done before New Years. He's going to send me a quote but he said between 10 and 15 hours, parts about $4k. I've got a quote on the way from Chuck in Haymarket too. Tony's never got back to me...

Get notified of new replies

To Any recommended shops in Northern Virginia

Old 11-28-2018, 10:30 AM
Jonz79
Instructor

Glide,
Excellent. I am anxious to hear of you go with him (Joe), and how it turns out. I will tell you: I did a TH400 swap years back to a Muncie 4sp, on a 72 Z/28. With parts (I sourced all), rebuilt M-22, and labor - all in at $5,200. I used a speed shop in MD to do the work, and they did a fair job at best. I will not mention them here, nor would I refer them to anyone. Joe's price seems very fair. Let me know how it goes, and what his shop looks like. I have found the condition of the shop, says volumes about the work coming out. I see you are in Manassas. I am up in Sterling/Potomac Falls VA - 20165. Let me know if you ever up this way, would love to see your Vette. I am fairly new to the C2 scene, so to speak, but an old-timer to the classic-car group overall. Had many over the years. (55 years young) Best to you - Jon
Old 11-28-2018, 11:52 AM
glide
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13,'19

I got a $7900 quote from Joe at Corvette Motor Sports in Chantilly yesterday. This morning he called and lowered it to $6900. I found the Tremac 5 speed kit for $3999 but he said he has to charge more so "he can make some money". $3K for 15 hours? What happened to $105 an hour? Sounds like he is making plenty money on the labor, and that sounds like way to long to put a tranny in. I was thinking around $5k total. That's what I paid for the motor install (including short block), But that was in Florida. He said "Most people in this area are rich". They drop off their cars and say fix it with out even asking the price. His shop was empty. He has to go down at least another grand before I'll consider him. Still waiting on two more quotes. What do you think I can get for my perfect original M21? Where?

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2018, 12:19 PM
Jonz79
Instructor

lol......Ayep, he clearly is guzzling the NOVA Kool-Aid. I had another local speed shop owner say similar to me - "People around here have tons of money to burn,.......and hey,....I pay have to pay a high rent and my guys". Really?? Where did these numbskulls come from?
My buddy and I put an M-21 in my 71 Chevelle, under his front yard shade tree, on our backs, in four hours flat! That included the new clutch. Granted, we were young, and could contort like pretzels, but we did it. No post-work/adjustments needed. Clearly, we don't expect these shop-owners to match that, but the notion that we are willing to pay anything seems the norm here. I cringe at the thought of needing work someday, (beyond my skill, or available time), and having to fork over $$ to a guy that sees me as a rich lemming. I am surprised after that exchange you would consider using him, but I can relate - you simply need/want it done!
I paid $400 for the M-22 5 years ago, but it needed synchros. I was all in for around $550. I would think you could easily get between $650-950 for a good working M-21. Maybe even $1K+ to the right Corvette buyer.

Quick Reply: Any recommended shops in Northern Virginia