C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished HUD install

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 06:40 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,804 Likes on 4,236 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Default Just finished HUD install

I just wrapped up installing a HUD unit in my 1LT Grand Sport. I purchased a used unit off eBay that came with the bezel and switch as a package. I ordered a custom wire harness also off eBay & all totaled I saved a little over $100 than buying the parts new.

There are plenty of write-ups on how to install this & I did cut the air duct to get it in. Now the unit I purchased you could tell had seen a good amount of sun. The plastic lens had some fine cracks and was pretty brittle & the black anti-glare material was also full of cracks.

I purchased a 12” x 12” piece of 0.03” thick Lexan for $5.70 & free prime shipping off amazon to replace the plastic lens covering. I also scraped off the black anti-glare material and sanded the area smooth. I then picked up a 8” x 12” piece of black felt from Walmart for $0.23. I cut it to shape & used some spray adhesive to attach it. New 3M double-sided tape and I attached the new Lexan lens. The unit looks good as new. Got it all installed today & works perfectly.

Last edited by JABCAT; 11-20-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:00 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Granted you never know anybody's financial situation or know whats in their pocket. But isn't saving $100 on a part of this delicate nature penny wise dollar foolish when you could have bought it all new? You said yourself it's a little beat up from the sun and isn't the sun this parts worst enemy? I would have thought $100 bucks more for new would be total piece of mind on a part of this nature.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:09 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
Granted you never know anybody's financial situation or know whats in their pocket. But isn't saving $100 on a part of this delicate nature penny wise dollar foolish when you could have bought it all new? You said yourself it's a little beat up from the sun and isn't the sun this parts worst enemy? I would have thought $100 bucks more for new would be total piece of mind on a part of this nature.
Saving $100 on a HUD projector is a good deal. There is very little that cannot be repaired in them should they fail. For me, even if I could easily afford the extra $100, I enjoy working on the car so I would likely save the money too.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:29 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
Saving $100 on a HUD projector is a good deal. There is very little that cannot be repaired in them should they fail. For me, even if I could easily afford the extra $100, I enjoy working on the car so I would likely save the money too.
PCMusicGuy, I'm not one to spend more money on something than I have to & $100 is $100 which just covered 2/3 of my custom seatbelts that I'll be installing tomorrow. And let me re-phrase, if you can find a new HUD unit as two dealerships's parts departments told me they were not being produced any longer & they couldn't get one. Most of the kits being sold online are refurbished units (from what I can tell). That being said, the unit I purchased had free returns so if it didn't work I would have just sent it back. It's like paying $1k to have your door panels covered in leather from one of the forum vendors or ordering the leather from J-F Customs in England for $300 & doing it myself; I'll save the $700 & have the satisfaction to say I did that.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:32 PM
88redconvert
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Congratulations on a successful job. I've been thinking about doing it to mine. How long did it take you?
The following users liked this post:
JABCAT (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 07:45 PM
Dman302
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Bought a used unit, reinforced the mirror mounts, new lens and installed for 300. Saved 200-300 from a new unit and it’s good to go.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:47 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Looks good Jabcat!

And I am right there with you on saving money where some ingenuity, and your own labor make the finished task that much more enjoyable, and memorable!
JABCAT (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 07:49 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by 88redconvert
Congratulations on a successful job. I've been thinking about doing it to mine. How long did it take you?
Thanks! I started working on it on Saturday taking dash apart (surround, gauge cluster, etc ). I was also installing a front camera at the same time so I was taking other parts apart as well figuring out where I want to mount the camera, a trip to Lowes for some electrical tape, wire taps & other parts I didn't have. Ran the wires for the camera, hooked it up & realized my head unit couldn't run 2 cameras so I ordered another head unit & waited for that to get here. Then I had some weird issues with the head unit so I focused on that. I cut the first piece of Lexan incorrectly (should have measured 3 times before cutting) so I ordered another piece yesterday got it today. Wrapped up the install today in a couple hours.

Lots of stupid stuff added time like removing the lower air duct & then trying to get the little pushpin on the back side of it to seat in the hole when I put it back. I have pretty big hands & arms so I kept dropping that stupid push pin & having to fish it out. The custom wire harness I purchased seemed almost too short so I had to keep messing with that after I put the gauge cluster back in (remove gauge cluster several times) so I could get the wires to clip into the HUD switch. If I were to do it again, I would estimate I could get it done in about 2 hours give or take.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:55 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by rkj427
Looks good Jabcat!

And I am right there with you on saving money where some ingenuity, and your own labor make the finished task that much more enjoyable, and memorable!
The other part I enjoy is I get to teach my kids how to do these things. In our technologically advanced age where everything is either done for them or right at their fingertips, I like to give them hands on experience with modding cars at least. And it's cool because they see me learn as I go (I've never fixed up or installed a HUD before), and that things don't always go smoothly. For example I could not find one of the bolts holding up the steering column I had removed to give myself a little more room. I had to retrace my steps and remove everything I had just reinstalled, & finally found the bolt hung up on some wires inside the housing - problem solving skills
Powelltc1 (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 08:10 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I'll be interested to hear your impressions and see the seat belts.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:32 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by doomi
I'll be interested to hear your impressions and see the seat belts.
They're supposed to arrive tomorrow so I'll post a review & pics. So far I have been impressed with the communication from Safety Restore. I shipped my OEM belts out Friday, they received them yesterday & shipped them back out to me yesterday. They've been great with email communication & even sent me an email update yesterday when they were finishing up the new belts.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:33 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
The other part I enjoy is I get to teach my kids how to do these things. In our technologically advanced age where everything is either done for them or right at their fingertips, I like to give them hands on experience with modding cars at least. :
you are also teaching them that not everything has to be thrown out just because it is worn, or broken. Most kids today have no concept of "repair". I think what you did was very smart.
The following 2 users liked this post by buckmeister2:
JABCAT (11-20-2018), Powelltc1 (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 08:42 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I actually agree with this if the savings was only $100 and if he could of found a new one. I'm not a fan of buying used or refurbished unless there is a significant savings. In todays markets, I see many used items going for almost new prices. Or even used items being listed for new or more than new prices. And then they sell. Makes no sense to me.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:46 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 705 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Congrats on a great upgrade! Enjoy!
JABCAT (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 10:15 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
I actually agree with this if the savings was only $100 and if he could of found a new one. I'm not a fan of buying used or refurbished unless there is a significant savings. In todays markets, I see many used items going for almost new prices. Or even used items being listed for new or more than new prices. And then they sell. Makes no sense to me.
This is only going to get worse with a lot of OEM parts for our cars not being produced any more & some OEM parts are just ridiculously priced also (plastic ashtray insert $80 or the radio bezel for $480 for example).
Old 11-20-2018, 11:10 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Congrats on the new addition. you will love the HUD
JABCAT (11-20-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 02:13 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

HUD is a cool upgrade I wish I’d gotten around to. Looks good.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:43 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Cool upgrade. I added one to my C5 years ago. I had a 98 with not 'quite' the right cluster, so mine didn't work 100% at the start, buttons didn't work, etc. Mine was a 98 and obviously must have been when they were working on the firmware for the HUD but didn't have it working yet. I found a newer cluster with almost exactly the same mileage as mine and stuck it in, everything worked perfect. Back then, Gene Culley (forum vendor GM Partshouse) was selling them here NOS for a deep discount. I think I had $230 or so in the unit new from GM including shipping. Sorta like buying the leftover LS1 crate motors, if you were asleep at the time (like me) you didn't get one. I think they were like $1200 or $1500 or so. I didn't find out till they were all gone.

Get notified of new replies

To Just finished HUD install

Quick Reply: Just finished HUD install