C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems Starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 06:41 PM
SunSet08
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems Starting

Was told that my Battery my have a bad cell. Had it check and it check out ok for a 2 year old battery. Have had to charge battery and the car would start, but now I only get a click when I try to start it. C6 corvettes do not have the trickle charge system. Could it be the starter or the starter push switch.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:19 PM
StingBeeZ06
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

If it was my car, I would go through all the battery connection points and make sure there was nothing loose and no corrosion first.
The car will act like it has a bad battery when there is corrosion or a bad connection.
Also if charging it fixes the issue for a short time, you might have a parasitic drain on the battery from a control module somewhere in the car. A good dealer or repair shop can track it down for you.
Best of luck tracking down the issue.

Last edited by StingBeeZ06; 11-20-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:11 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

I love your color matching pocket square in your suit coat pocket!
As for the battery...if it sits for a while it should be on a battery tender/maintainer. You can go big bucks and buy the GM issue, less bucks for the Battery Tender JR, or the cheap (but long lasting) Schumacher from Walmart. I have a couple that I bought for around $20.
Charge the battery, check for parasitic draw, and put it on the tender when not in use,
Old 11-20-2018, 10:20 PM
G6612
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 21 Posts

My daughters car was acting the same way had the battery checked and it tested ok. Would jump the car and would be ok for a few days then go dead again. Turned out to be the positive connection was loose. Tightened up and all is well as posted before check all of your connection points.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:27 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Our first Corvette was a 2005 Base Coupe with the A4 transmission. Anytime it sat in the garage for more than 3-5 days it wouldn’t start without being jump started. We bought a new battery and all was well. This seems to be common problem in early C6’s. FYI, it seems 24 month batteries aren’t always as good as they used to be. If your C6 isn’t daily driven, a new battery just might be in order. Best of luck.

Last edited by Jstan2014; 11-20-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:21 AM
kperez
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by StingBeeZ06
If it was my car, I would go through all the battery connection points and make sure there was nothing loose and no corrosion first.
The car will act like it has a bad battery when there is corrosion or a bad connection.
Also if charging it fixes the issue for a short time, you might have a parasitic drain on the battery from a control module somewhere in the car. A good dealer or repair shop can track it down for you.
Best of luck tracking down the issue.
this is probably your best bet, my vette had the same issue and it ended up being that the positive terminal had bad contact with the wiring so i ended up just replacing the terminal and has been starting up since
The following users liked this post:
StingBeeZ06 (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 07:28 AM
tmsmedic
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kperez
this is probably your best bet, my vette had the same issue and it ended up being that the positive terminal had bad contact with the wiring so i ended up just replacing the terminal and has been starting up since
Last Saturday I experienced the exact same symptom you are describing. Agree with kperez...but would also add if you are not daily driving your car it needs a battery tender. As far as my issue, I feared it was the solenoid going out on the starter...but after replacing both terminals, have not had an issue since.

Whoever designed the terminals for for the car should be fired at GM.
The following users liked this post:
StingBeeZ06 (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 07:38 AM
bruno06
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 74 Posts

This may sound crazy but do you have your cell phone in close proximity to you key fob? If my IPhone is within 2 feet of my key for, all I get is a click. Move the phone, car starts right up. Just a thought.

Get notified of new replies

To Problems Starting

Quick Reply: Problems Starting