C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an Awesome Exhaust possible for $500???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 07:05 PM
Stew24
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Is an Awesome Exhaust possible for $500???

Got to follow my wife driving my Grand Sport today, and although the looks were there, the exhaust didn't sound anything like I thought I'd heard from inside! (Wife was pampering it ) Got lots of things I'd like to do with car, but at the moment ... was wondering if any innovative ideas are there that could get some awesome sound for $500 or so bucks? Thinking an X Pipe alone won't get there
Old 11-20-2018, 07:11 PM
Pineapple
Burning Brakes

Received 794 Likes on 381 Posts

You can buy some nice Corsa quad tips and have a good muffler shop weld on straight pipes (muffler delete) for around $500 or less.

Last edited by Pineapple; 11-20-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:18 PM
Stew24
Pro

Originally Posted by Pineapple
You can buy some nice Corsa quad tips and have a good muffler shop weld on straight pipes (muffler delete) for around $500 or less.
That would lose my NPP valve control though, right? ... Would kinda like to keep the NPP option ....

Last edited by Stew24; 11-20-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:19 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

A few questions before you go crazy.

1. What mode was the exhaust set at? Tour, Sport, Track?
2. Auto or Manual? and was she at least above 1700 rpm? In Track mode the NPP valves won't open until 1700rpm. In Tour and Sport they don't open til even higher rpm levels.

If you want the valves to remain open all the time then you can pull the fuse. I would definitely not hack up the nice NPP exhaust you have on the GS already for a muffler delete. You will lose the ability to control the exhaust volume with the valves and imo it just cheapens the car.

There is nothing else you can do for $500. If you want a real upgrade then you would have to look at the NPP compatible systems from companies like Borla, Corsa or BBE but you are talking $1800+ for a nice setup. I would do another test and have her wind out a gear so you can really hear it. When I set my NPP exhaust to Track mode in my GS Vert and I have the top down, good lord it sounds awesome and loud. At about 4500rpm and up it generates a nice loud and raspy note that should be easily heard.

Last edited by falcon5619; 11-20-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:32 PM
Stew24
Pro

Originally Posted by falcon5619
A few questions before you go crazy.

1. What mode was the exhaust set at? Tour, Sport, Track?
2. Auto or Manual? and was she at least above 1700 rpm? In Track mode the NPP valves won't open until 1700rpm. In Tour and Sport they don't open til even higher rpm levels.

If you want the valves to remain open all the time then you can pull the fuse. I would definitely not hack up the nice NPP exhaust you have on the GS already for a muffler delete. You will lose the ability to control the exhaust volume with the valves and imo it just cheapens the car.

There is nothing else you can do for $500. If you want a real upgrade then you would have to look at the NPP compatible systems from companies like Borla, Corsa or BBE but you are talking $1800+ for a nice setup. I would do another test and have her wind out a gear so you can really hear it. When I set my NPP exhaust to Track mode in my GS Vert and I have the top down, good lord it sounds awesome and loud. At about 4500rpm and up it generates a nice loud and raspy note that should be easily heard.
Falcon, .. I thought I had the manual exhaust settings setup in Track Mode? ... Haven't been to that page in settings but maybe once, but I thought I had it set to perform as if the car was in Track mode. I do know that i had set the drive mode to "Economy" for her, because I wanted the most compliant ride while she had it. Just happens that I ran into her on the way home and got behind the car to listen to the exhaust!
Old 11-20-2018, 07:43 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stew24
Falcon, .. I thought I had the manual exhaust settings setup in Track Mode? ... Haven't been to that page in settings but maybe once, but I thought I had it set to perform as if the car was in Track mode. I do know that i had set the drive mode to "Economy" for her, because I wanted the most compliant ride while she had it. Just happens that I ran into her on the way home and got behind the car to listen to the exhaust!
That probably explains it. If you have the sound management tied to drive mode then ECO would basically put the exhaust in Tour or maybe even Stealth mode, which means those exhaust valves are basically closed and you won't hear much. You can decouple the the Exhaust sound and steering settings for that matter from the drive mode. For example, go into the sound management settings and hard set it to Track mode and then it will stay in Track mode regardless of the drive mode you select (ECO, Tour, Sport, Track). I personally like my exhaust set to Track, Steering set to Sport and Drive Mode set to Tour for around town.

By the way, ECO/Tour have the same suspension setting as far as the magnetic ride goes. Sport and Track will firm up the shocks.

Last edited by falcon5619; 11-20-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:03 PM
Stew24
Pro

That probably does explain a lot. I do think I have it set to Track Mode in Sound Management, but I'm pretty sure she never got above 2,000 rpms while I was listening. An addition of a Borla X-Pipe might get me closer to where I want to be after all then? By the way, ... I saw a Youtube video where a new Z06 had installed an "Armytrix X-Pipe and Axle-back Valvetronic" exhaust, ...and ... even without headers, ... This had to be the most wicked C7 Corvette exhaust I've ever heard! I was listening though my earbuds plugged into my desktop, and .. OMG!!!
Old 11-20-2018, 08:18 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

That probably does explain a lot. I do think I have it set to Track Mode in Sound Management, but I'm pretty sure she never got above 2,000 rpms while I was listening. An addition of a Borla X-Pipe might get me closer to where I want to be after all then? By the way, ... I saw a Youtube video where a new Z06 had installed an "Armytrix X-Pipe and Axle-back Valvetronic" exhaust, ...and ... even without headers, ... This had to be the most wicked C7 Corvette exhaust I've ever heard! I was listening though my earbuds plugged into my desktop, and .. OMG!!!
If that was they case then that explains it. the NPP valves were pretty much closed and you don't hear much at 2000rpm. Have her do a flyby while her foot is to the floor and she it at like 4500 rpm or higher. I think you will change your mind and think your exhaust sounds pretty good.

An X-pipe will increase volume a bit since we have two sets of cats and you can delete one set with the X-pipe. If you add Long Tube headers it will be even louder but I would start by making sure your NPP exhaust settings are set correctly before dropping a bunch of money.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:46 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

If you want to keep the NPP functionality, then you will “generally” need more than $500 for any compatible cat-back system. You could go with headers, but tuning is “generally” required and raises concerns about the warranty. Your best bet, based on information that you’ve provided, is to start with a cat-delete X-pipe, i.e., Borla, Corsa, etc., and go from there... It’s an inexpensive and easy install that will increase volume without throwing codes, and will not affect the NPP.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:54 PM
ahero4eternity
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Remove the fuse first. If that's enough for you and you want to keep NPP, then Mild2WIld it is.

Otherwise, if you want to maintain NPP with an aftermarket exhaust...$2k.

That said, I have long tube headers and x-pipe (catless) with the OEM NPP mufflers on my Z. The car is still way to quiet (and I have M2W with the fuse "off" most of the time).

I just ordered an aFe axleback. Hoping that will get me where I want.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 11-20-2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 11-20-2018, 09:04 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Just an FYI, the Z06 will sound different. The camshaft profile of the LT4 delivers greater valve lift and duration than the LT1. Also, LT4’s compression ratio is 10.0:1 compared to 11.5:1 for the LT1. Moreover, the Z06 measures 5+ decibels louder than the LT1 NPP. While this isn’t a dramatic difference, it is noticeable, particularly when listening to them side-by-side.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:31 PM
Stew24
Pro

Originally Posted by sTz

Just an FYI, the Z06 will sound different. The camshaft profile of the LT4 delivers greater valve lift and duration than the LT1. Also, LT4’s compression ratio is 10.0:1 compared to 11.5:1 for the LT1. Moreover, the Z06 measures 5+ decibels louder than the LT1 NPP. While this isn’t a dramatic difference, it is noticeable, particularly when listening to them side-by-side.

Wow, .. I had wondered if there was that much difference in the LT4 and the LT1? ... With ppl saying buy a GS and add a ProCharger, they had made it seem like there wasn't that much difference.! ... Good Info there!
Old 11-20-2018, 09:41 PM
Stew24
Pro

Originally Posted by ahero4eternity
Remove the fuse first. If that's enough for you and you want to keep NPP, then Mild2WIld it is.

Otherwise, if you want to maintain NPP with an aftermarket exhaust...$2k.

That said, I have long tube headers and x-pipe (catless) with the OEM NPP mufflers on my Z. The car is still way to quiet (and I have M2W with the fuse "off" most of the time).

I just ordered an aFe axleback. Hoping that will get me where I want.
Man, listen to this Armytrix system! in this video. Start at either 15:20 or 16:20 then wath the exterior acceleration scene!
The following users liked this post:
John Micheal Henry (11-21-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 09:51 PM
ahero4eternity
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

I've seen Armytrix exhausts on Bimmers. They're nice. But I like the design of the aFe better. That said, I haven't heard any sound clips from this exhaust except the short crappy video aFe has themselves. Hoping it sounds good, but we'll see!

The Armytrix sounds, to me, less impressive here:

Last edited by ahero4eternity; 11-20-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:32 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Keep your NPP as is.

Upstream of the cats, have a bypass exhaust valve installed. Similar to a "mildtowild" remote controlled. This will open up your exhaust just past the collectors. It'll be plenty LOUD.
It'll "pop" too on decel.
You might be able to "tune" the EPA lean "pop" out, with help from a person who knows "How to tune."

Then, you can close it and return home after midnight, all stealth like.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:59 AM
Stew24
Pro

Originally Posted by NORTY
Keep your NPP as is.

Upstream of the cats, have a bypass exhaust valve installed. Similar to a "mildtowild" remote controlled. This will open up your exhaust just past the collectors. It'll be plenty LOUD.
It'll "pop" too on decel.
You might be able to "tune" the EPA lean "pop" out, with help from a person who knows "How to tune."

Then, you can close it and return home after midnight, all stealth like.
Hmm, ... need to know more of what you mean ... "have a bypass exhaust valve installed"??? Not understanding what you mean at all? I know an X-pipe would take away the main Cats, but aren't the pre-cats a part of the exhaust manifold? How can you "bypass" this with a valve? Sorry, ...but I'm totally lost ...
Old 11-21-2018, 06:19 AM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Just pull the fuse on the NPP. It locks the valves open and makes it sound like it is supposed to in the first place without the "BOOM" you get when the valves open at low RPM. The best part is....its free. (Trust me...you won't miss the selectable exhaust note)

Get notified of new replies

To Is an Awesome Exhaust possible for $500???

Quick Reply: Is an Awesome Exhaust possible for $500???