C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there more performance using "S" with A6?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 06:37 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

Default Is there more performance using "S" with A6?

I cannot test this since my car is in storage for the winter. It's a 2006 A6 that I purchased in August. I thought if I chose "S" I had to use the paddle snifters. But I read something online that if I put it in "S" and do not use the paddle snifters, the computer will shift it for me. If that is true, will the shift points be faster in this case and more performance oriented in "S" ?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 11-24-2018, 06:53 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Trebor
I cannot test this since my car is in storage for the winter. It's a 2006 A6 that I purchased in August. I thought if I chose "S" I had to use the paddle snifters. But I read something online that if I put it in "S" and do not use the paddle snifters, the computer will shift it for me. If that is true, will the shift points be faster in this case and more performance oriented in "S" ?

Thanks,

Bob
In Sport mode and not touching or snifting the paddles , the trans will shift 200 RPM later than in Drive. So yes, it'll be a bit quicker. If you touch the paddles, you'll have to shift back to Drive to get out of paddle mode.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:11 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by HOXXOH

In Sport mode and not touching or snifting the paddles , the trans will shift 200 RPM later than in Drive. So yes, it'll be a bit quicker. If you touch the paddles, you'll have to shift back to Drive to get out of paddle mode.
Yup ...
Old 11-25-2018, 01:13 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

"snifting the paddles"

Old 11-25-2018, 07:15 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
"snifting the paddles"

As I have gotten older, I have noticed that my computer sometimes does not print the words I have entered.
The following users liked this post:
astaggs (11-28-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 08:16 AM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

Thank you for the information. Definitely will try this in the spring. I am not used to an automatic. I sold my 2011 LS3 Camaro after 7 years and before that I had an LT4 .96 Collector Edition Corvette for 6 years.. An accident in late April messed up my left hip and leg so the clutch became difficult.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:58 AM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

If you get a tune from a reputable tuner, they can make that A6 feel MUCH better. Research the tuner. A big known shop out by me did a headers and trans tune for me. They shut off torque management and knock sensors I have a new tuner now.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:03 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

And search sites other than this for the reputation of the tuner, because some sponsors that are "tuner gods" here are despised on other sites.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:25 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Curt D
If you get a tune from a reputable tuner, they can make that A6 feel MUCH better. Research the tuner. A big known shop out by me did a headers and trans tune for me. They shut off torque management and knock sensors I have a new tuner now.
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
And search sites other than this for the reputation of the tuner, because some sponsors that are "tuner gods" here are despised on other sites.
There are "feel good" tunes and there are performance tunes, depending on what floats your boat. Know the difference.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:25 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

LOL, you feel good about it unless something fails.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:26 PM
MilstarVette
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trebor

Thanks,

Bob
Also, note that in S mode, the trans will start out in second gear instead of 1st, then will shift 200rpms higher if you aren't using the paddle shifters.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:42 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by MilstarVette
Also, note that in S mode, the trans will start out in second gear instead of 1st, then will shift 200rpms higher if you aren't using the paddle shifters.
This is not correct. If you start off in S mode, the transmission will always start in 1st UNLESS you activate the paddles. I will say that in 11 years of driving between D and S, there is not enough difference between the two to matter. You certainly don't notice it daily driving.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:24 PM
MilstarVette
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
This is not correct. If you start off in S mode, the transmission will always start in 1st UNLESS you activate the paddles. I will say that in 11 years of driving between D and S, there is not enough difference between the two to matter. You certainly don't notice it daily driving.
Thank you for the correction.....I guess I always use the paddles!
Old 12-11-2018, 10:29 PM
jbripps
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I notice a pretty big difference in "s" mode. Car def. revs higher (not sure it's only 200 rpm in mine), but my car was tuned by prior owner. You will also notice the auto downshifting much more in S mode. LOVE the paddle shifters as well, although I wish they activated faster....the newer cars are almost instantaneous when you shift gears via paddles. Enjoy the car! I recently installed NPP mufflers (on my own, thanks to this forum). Still need to do the NPP in a box, but not in any rush as I love the sound, even with the droning at low rpm's. It is a WORLD of difference with the NPP, an entirely different car, IMO.

Jon
Old 12-13-2018, 06:43 PM
TucoTom
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm under the impression that the shift points in Sport Mode are one of the options addressed in a tune.
I recently purchased a Diablo tune and changing shift points was a selling point.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:00 PM
Jbeautexas
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jbripps
I notice a pretty big difference in "s" mode. Car def. revs higher (not sure it's only 200 rpm in mine), but my car was tuned by prior owner. You will also notice the auto downshifting much more in S mode. LOVE the paddle shifters as well, although I wish they activated faster....the newer cars are almost instantaneous when you shift gears via paddles. Enjoy the car! I recently installed NPP mufflers (on my own, thanks to this forum). Still need to do the NPP in a box, but not in any rush as I love the sound, even with the droning at low rpm's. It is a WORLD of difference with the NPP, an entirely different car, IMO.

Jon
Jon, suggestion find a good tuner. Had my 06’ A6 tuned and now there’s zero lag in shifting and the beast lurches forward immediately. The shift is now hard, fast and solid.

Before the tune, she shifted like an average street car. Now the Vette shifts and performs like a race car.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:11 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

my 2012 has the factory upgraded trans programming. it always squawks the tires on wot 1-2 shift, even does it using the paddle shifter

Get notified of new replies

To Is there more performance using "S" with A6?

Quick Reply: Is there more performance using "S" with A6?