C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded radiator options with big Boost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 03:33 AM
ss4luck
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Upgraded radiator options with big Boost?

almost finished with an Iron 408/YSI-B swap in my car and figured I need to touch on cooling a little. I already have a cut down DeWitts radiator, but I’m worried the new setup will push the cooling system a little over its comfort zone especially on 60-170ish pulls. With the V3-Si setup I know I’d see temps creep into the low 220, cruising hung nicely in the mid 190s. The car has a 180° thermostat and an electric water pump, as well as a large external oil cooler.

Would it be worth it to have a radiator built to put to put in place of the stocker? Something I could have made to max dimensions and increase the width some? Or is there a good drop in replacement. I know the C6 guys rave over the D3 setup for their cars, but I’ve never seen anyone talk much about radiator replacements for C5s other than road race guys.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:40 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

first step most people go to is the DeWitts, or they go straight to the Ron Davis. i'd give either one of them a call given your build & still getting hot - i'm willing to bet there's some custom ducting that could be done to improve the airflow over what you've got now.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:39 AM
ss4luck
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I already have the DeWitts, the car isnt running yet, im just figureing while it was all apart if there was a common setup that i had somehow missed I would pick it up and throw the car together with it already in there just to save myself the headache down the road
Old 12-10-2018, 05:34 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
first step most people go to is the DeWitts, or they go straight to the Ron Davis. i'd give either one of them a call given your build & still getting hot - i'm willing to bet there's some custom ducting that could be done to improve the airflow over what you've got now.
I have a ttix turbo car that runs really hot. I went with ron davis with a pair of spal fans and a tiger shark nose

I think the nose really helps with the ducting With the thicker cooling stack you definitely need some strong fans to keep temps in check with ac on in traffic

on the tiger shark, I have a vented hood which helps too
Old 12-12-2018, 01:18 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by ss4luck
I already have the DeWitts, the car isnt running yet, im just figureing while it was all apart if there was a common setup that i had somehow missed I would pick it up and throw the car together with it already in there just to save myself the headache down the road
sorry - i thought you meant that even with the DeWitts, it was still getting that hot. hopefully, the rad itself helps keep temps in check, but if not, a lot of guys swap on the tigershark nose since it's got the huge opening in the middle. if not, there's the license plate cut-out that a ton of folks also run.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:47 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by ss4luck
The DeWitts rad is good but on my c7 I still went with a set of D3 fan set up for the car. It does almost 3 times the air over the stock fan set up, Plus I run waterless from EVANS in the c7..You will be good with your rad you have now with the stock fan set up are should be any way.. Robert

Get notified of new replies

To Upgraded radiator options with big Boost?

Quick Reply: Upgraded radiator options with big Boost?