C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling Holley/Tanks Inc EFI gas tank owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 02:01 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Calling Holley/Tanks Inc EFI gas tank owners

Please give any installation insights or tips on these monster, over engineered tank straps! Biggest problem I'm having is the hook portion that attaches to the tank support between frame rails. The strap hook end is longer than original and doubled over and spot welded farther up the strap (see photo). So its impossible to bend that portion, so the strap protrudes out from the tank support and then bends up and over the tank. It looks unsightly and also shortens the overall strap length which doesn't allow the use of both bolts to hold the bracket that allows strap to go over the sending unit on top of tank.

Barring any suggestions, I'm thinking of drilling out spot welds and cutting out a portion of the doubled over portion so the strap will bend up vertically earlier. Shouldn't have to do this so I feel like I'm missing something and just don't see it. Plus did a search and although there were mentions on difficulty bending straps nothing like this.

Thanks!

Old 12-09-2018, 10:51 PM
502 C-3
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I used my original straps with the Tanks fuel tank on my 74.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:13 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by gearheadz
Please give any installation insights or tips on these monster, over engineered tank straps! Biggest problem I'm having is the hook portion that attaches to the tank support between frame rails. The strap hook end is longer than original and doubled over and spot welded farther up the strap (see photo). So its impossible to bend that portion, so the strap protrudes out from the tank support and then bends up and over the tank. It looks unsightly and also shortens the overall strap length which doesn't allow the use of both bolts to hold the bracket that allows strap to go over the sending unit on top of tank.
Barring any suggestions, I'm thinking of drilling out spot welds and cutting out a portion of the doubled over portion so the strap will bend up vertically earlier. Shouldn't have to do this so I feel like I'm missing something and just don't see it. Plus did a search and although there were mentions on difficulty bending straps nothing like this.
Thanks!
Hi. Yes the straps are a bit weird. Here is what I did:
1) Bent the straps to match the old ones as much as possible
2) hook straps into the slots in the cross member
3) Push on the cross member to Slide the tank up into place
4) Put the two bolts into the straps in the back just loosely
5) Push the cross member into place and put the 2 bolts on each side enough to hold it in place. You will have to be pretty forceful here. This will start to bend the straps into their final shape. Keep an eye on where the strap goes over the wiring connections at the top and don't let it move around.
6) Tighten down the bolts in back then tighten the cross member bolts
7) Have a beer
Old 12-10-2018, 02:11 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Thanks Scott for the very detailed process ... very helpful! One question ... Prior to starting the process, did you attach the passenger side strap to the provided guide that goes over the sending unit with both bolts?
Old 12-10-2018, 02:16 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 502 C-3
I used my original straps with the Tanks fuel tank on my 74.
Thanks 502C3 ... Same question asked to Scott ... what did you do with the guide the elevates the strap over the sending unit?
Old 12-10-2018, 02:30 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gearheadz
Thanks Scott for the very detailed process ... very helpful! One question ... Prior to starting the process, did you attach the passenger side strap to the provided guide that goes over the sending unit with both bolts?
After trying to anticipate where the bolts needed to be for several fits, I left them loose on the final fit so it could adjust as the straps tightened. That helped and the straps certainly hold it in place.

Double check your fuel line tightness. I even used some aviation gasket sealer because it was a pain finding a leak after it is up in there.
The following users liked this post:
gearheadz (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 02:44 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by scottjamison
After trying to anticipate where the bolts needed to be for several fits, I left them loose on the final fit so it could adjust as the straps tightened. That helped and the straps certainly hold it in place.

Double check your fuel line tightness. I even used some aviation gasket sealer because it was a pain finding a leak after it is up in there.
Makes sense. Allows the strap to slide over the guide as its tightened. I've paid a lot of attention to making sure all gaskets and line fittings are sealed and snug.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:44 PM
502 C-3
Instructor

I did use the aluminum guide piece with the original straps.
gearheadz (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 05:51 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

I did use the aluminum guide piece with the original straps.
Yeah they fit and look much better. Probably going that route too.

Last edited by gearheadz; 12-10-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:55 PM
502 C-3
Instructor

I used the originals because I didn't feel like going through the hassle of forming the new straps to the new tank. The old straps worked out just fine.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:59 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

I used the originals because I didn't feel like going through the hassle of forming the new straps to the new tank. The old straps worked out just fine.
The only problem with the original straps are that they do not have the slots for the spacer over the sending unit. I personally thought it was going to be more of a hassle to cut those into the strap than form the straps correctly. Using the new ones is super easy.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:06 PM
73racevette
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

Here is a picture of mine. Used the Tanks straps and seemed to work fine. Hope it helps.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:10 PM
73racevette
Pro

The front side of the tank as well.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:18 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 73racevette
Here is a picture of mine. Used the Tanks straps and seemed to work fine. Hope it helps.

Wow. I wish I had a garage that big!!!! #GarageEnvy.....
73racevette (12-10-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 11:03 AM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 73racevette
The front side of the tank as well.
73racevette ... Nice! I notice the hooks that go into the slot on the tank cross member are bent differently than how they come from tank vendor. I assume you bent those to fit? See my attached photo. I can do the same as yours but I'll have to heat the strap with a torch and re-bend to conform to crossmember slot.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:06 AM
73racevette
Pro

No heat needed with mine. Just a bit of elbow grease to stretch them over the tank. Mine looked just like yours out of the box.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:12 AM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by scottjamison
Wow. I wish I had a garage that big!!!! #GarageEnvy.....
Scott ... it is a definite advantage! I did my frame off in a standard 2 car garage with 8 ft ceilings. A challenge but it can be done.

Get notified of new replies

To Calling Holley/Tanks Inc EFI gas tank owners

Quick Reply: Calling Holley/Tanks Inc EFI gas tank owners