C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any step by step to separate drivetrain from body?

Old 12-09-2018, 07:20 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Any step by step to separate drivetrain from body?

Searched and didn't find one. I'm just looking for tips to help expedite. I have a 2 post lift and already have the calipers hung, upper control arms and shocks disconnected. It appears i can just unbolt and suspend the abs module (y2k so it's up front). I have had the rear cradle out so I know that the brake lines will stay w/ the body but I don't recall if the wiring has to stay of if there is a master plug under there I can unplug and just take the entire rear harness out w/ the drivetrain. Up front I think I read that I can unplug the main engine harness from the firewall or somewhere near there? What about front brake lines? I read something about having to bend them? I can wire up the AC compressor during drop also. Any gotchas i'm missing here?

Thanks much

Dave
Old 12-10-2018, 01:35 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

A number of us have done this in different ways. I too used a 2-post lift.

I couldn't find a master plug for the rear wiring, but it's really not that big of a deal. Just disconnect everything you can find that goes to the drivetrain, there's really not much. The entire harness rests in clips in the torque tube, but it's really easy to slide out as you start to lift the body off.

Same with the front. I just disconnected everything from the engine (there's not that much really), and watched carefully as I lifted the body. I'd lift it a few inches, stop and check for any connected wires. I'd repeat that until everything was clear.

The front right brake line goes underneath the steering rack from the ABS controller. When you lift the body with the brake lines in tact, you'll need to get the steering rack out of the way. I took it out entirely, but you could probably just disconnect it and slide it over to the right to let the brake line clear.

It's really not a bad job at all as long as you take your time and pay close attention to what things could get caught up. I also recommend taking pictures of EVERYTHING you can before you disconnect it so you know how it goes back together later.

I know others have done it differently, but this is how I tackled it.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:51 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
A number of us have done this in different ways. I too used a 2-post lift.

I couldn't find a master plug for the rear wiring, but it's really not that big of a deal. Just disconnect everything you can find that goes to the drivetrain, there's really not much. The entire harness rests in clips in the torque tube, but it's really easy to slide out as you start to lift the body off.

Same with the front. I just disconnected everything from the engine (there's not that much really), and watched carefully as I lifted the body. I'd lift it a few inches, stop and check for any connected wires. I'd repeat that until everything was clear.

The front right brake line goes underneath the steering rack from the ABS controller. When you lift the body with the brake lines in tact, you'll need to get the steering rack out of the way. I took it out entirely, but you could probably just disconnect it and slide it over to the right to let the brake line clear.

It's really not a bad job at all as long as you take your time and pay close attention to what things could get caught up. I also recommend taking pictures of EVERYTHING you can before you disconnect it so you know how it goes back together later.

I know others have done it differently, but this is how I tackled it.
thanks. Yeah I've had the entire Driveline out in pieces I've never taken it all out from the bottom since I just acquired a lift this year. I'm just looking for any type of advise to expedite, like I said really the only concern I think I had was that front brake line and almost sounds like it'd be easier just to disconnect it and re bleed the brakes. I also have a tech 2 so any air that gets in the ABS module wouldn't be an issue for me.

Last edited by T_Vert; 12-10-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:58 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 367 Likes on 314 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

You can unbolt the calipers and use zip ties to hang them to the bracket on the frame where the brake lines connect to the hard lines. I would use 1 zip to circle the caliper front to back and run another through that zip tie and the bracket.

Like you I have had both subframes and the driveline out but have never lifted it all off at once. just go slow and watch for wires, lines, sensors. etc.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:28 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 93Polo
You can unbolt the calipers and use zip ties to hang them to the bracket on the frame where the brake lines connect to the hard lines. I would use 1 zip to circle the caliper front to back and run another through that zip tie and the bracket.

Like you I have had both subframes and the driveline out but have never lifted it all off at once. just go slow and watch for wires, lines, sensors. etc.
. I have a 2 post lift and already have the calipers hung, upper control arms and shocks disconnected.
Anyone who has done it, what did YOU do about that front brake line across the kmember?

Last edited by T_Vert; 12-10-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:39 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 367 Likes on 314 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Old 12-10-2018, 07:06 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 93Polo
Sorry that came off wrong. I have it ready to drop just looking for any type of streamline suggestions for those who've done it. I'll most certainly be raising the body an inch at a time and checking everything but any gotcha's would be good to know in advance.

Dave
Old 12-10-2018, 07:14 PM
jpb1978
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have seen a few youtube videos of this. But I don't have them bookmarked.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:16 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jpb1978
I have seen a few youtube videos of this. But I don't have them bookmarked.
Yeah I looked there and the ones I saw just showed them lifting it off w/ no real description. For some reason I see many people are pulling the compressor when they're doing it, not sure why.

Dave
Old 12-10-2018, 07:25 PM
jpb1978
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is a link to one that has been dropped with a walk around showing everything to be removed.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:25 PM
493lszosix
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by T_Vert
Anyone who has done it, what did YOU do about that front brake line across the kmember?

Make sure it’s released from the plastic clips then you just have to maneuver it to clear, it usually gets hung up on the balancer so I usually just raise the body a couple inches at a time and check everything front to rear, if you leave shifter or shifter box bolted in make sure it doesn’t hang up on the fuel lines also
Old 12-10-2018, 09:13 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 493lszosix

Make sure it’s released from the plastic clips then you just have to maneuver it to clear, it usually gets hung up on the balancer so I usually just raise the body a couple inches at a time and check everything front to rear, if you leave shifter or shifter box bolted in make sure it doesn’t hang up on the fuel lines also
​​​​​​ if that's the video with the broken control arm he cut a bunch of stuff out including compressor lines, coolant and Brake hoses
Old 12-10-2018, 09:27 PM
493lszosix
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

​​​​​​ if that's the video with the broken control arm he cut a bunch of stuff out including compressor lines, coolant and Brake hoses
I haven’t watched the video just giving reference from when I did mine, I’ve dropped the whole drivetrain a few times

on the a/c I have access to a/c machine so I removed the freon and unbolted the line on back of compressor, for the brakes I unbolted the calipers and zip tied them up, pull the rear axles from diff so the rear lines can clear, just disconnect all the coolant hose, make sure all the wiring unplugged and grounds unbolted from motor
Old 12-11-2018, 12:16 PM
Ahrmasos14
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I left the rack and abs attached to crossmember, unbolt the master from the booster and no bleeding required..
Old 12-11-2018, 12:18 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ahrmasos14
I left the rack and abs attached to crossmember, unbolt the master from the booster and no bleeding required..
you do realize the entire driveline is coming out in one piece right? The brake lines have to stay w/ the body unless i want to bleed the system.
Or are you saying you took all brake lines out w/ it? If so that's not a bad idea either if the clips are easy to get out along the way.
Dave

Last edited by T_Vert; 12-11-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:37 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Thanks that is helpful. That would make sense then with people saying they bent the front line out of the way a bit, perhaps to clear the balancer. I'll have all the black clips disconnected from the front crossmember. I've had both out before so as long as I can get the motor around that front line I should be good to go.

I haven’t watched the video just giving reference from when I did mine, I’ve dropped the whole drivetrain a few times

on the a/c I have access to a/c machine so I removed the freon and unbolted the line on back of compressor, for the brakes I unbolted the calipers and zip tied them up, pull the rear axles from diff so the rear lines can clear, just disconnect all the coolant hose, make sure all the wiring unplugged and grounds unbolted from motor
Yeah that is the video I thought it was. He cut and disconnected all brake lines and abs pump so that doesn't help me but thanks anyway.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:35 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

thanks Ahrmasos, I did a quick look today and that seems the best way, sadly I already unbolted all the calipers Will put back on. It even seems the hard line clip to body at caliper is bolted in which is nice.

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Any step by step to separate drivetrain from body?

Old 12-11-2018, 01:36 PM
Ahrmasos14
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

you do realize the entire driveline is coming out in one piece right? The brake lines have to stay w/ the body unless i want to bleed the system.
Or are you saying you took all brake lines out w/ it? If so that's not a bad idea either if the clips are easy to get out along the way.
Dave
Yes, master cylinder and lines drop out with subframes, no bleeding..
Old 12-12-2018, 07:50 PM
Bubba91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They did this on Two Guys Garage, called Project C5. A quick Utube search will get you there. I think it is a three- part, if I recall correctly.
pretty cool!!
Old 12-12-2018, 07:53 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Thanks didn't find it. Only the part 1 which is pulling the engine out from the top.

Dave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any step by step to separate drivetrain from body?