C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can’t run w/ big dogs

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 07:13 AM
John Vance
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Can’t run w/ big dogs

Wow you all are freaking awesome. Thanks so much for the support😁😁

Last edited by John Vance; 12-10-2018 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Jumped the gun. Did not realize how great you all are.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:04 AM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

Most of us are in the same boat as you. It is easy to get envious of the fancy new LS engine or tube frame but take pride in the wrenching you do that others had to pay for. It is also easy to focus on the expensive new vendor parts but there are actually a lot of threads in this forum about fabricating parts yourself (fan shroud, transmission cross member, C4 rear, junkyard Camaro T5, junkyard seats, bodywork, Impala control arms, all come to mind). Somewhere in this forum is a thread of custom tools people have fabricated to get jobs done.

Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 12-10-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:41 AM
John Vance
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dynra Rockets
Most of us are in the same boat as you. It is easy to get envious of the fancy new LS engine or tube frame but take pride in the wrenching you do that others had to pay for. It is also easy to focus on the expensive new vendor parts but there are actually a lot of threads in this forum about fabricating parts yourself (fan shroud, transmission cross member, C4 rear, junkyard Camaro T5, junkyard seats, bodywork, Impala control arms, all come to mind). Somewhere in this forum is a thread of custom tools people have fabricated to get jobs done.
Thanks. I’m not sure if I’m replying correctly. But if you find that page for the homemade tools shoot me a link. Thanks again. Doesn’t feel so intimadating.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:02 AM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I've always been thrifty when it come to my car hobby, because it's a hobby and I have more important thing to spend money on.
Still I've been able to make a pretty wild LS-swapped restomod. No lift, 90% used parts, and tons of DIY time.
Check my restoration thread.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:09 AM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Can't tell you how many paint jobs, engine pulls and other stuff done laying on the grass.. Pad of concrete used to be a dreammof mine let alone a roof.
I remember changing starter on my 67 Cadillac in the gutter when it was January... Let's just say it was warm enough for the snow to melt and ice water to rush down my back as I was doing it.
I used one small toolbox, floor jack and one set of jack stands forma long time. I'm still a cheap SOB but have managed to scrape a decent setup together after decades.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:20 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Also the prevailing attitude towards interior parts is fix yours. They fit your car. Not rugs or seat vinyl, but most everything else. Welcome aboard. Now go find something busted or worn out in the Beastie...
Old 12-10-2018, 12:44 PM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

If you find you need to do something and don't have access to the tools, just ask here. Chances are, whatever you're working on has been done before, lots of times. Some people will tell you to buy the tool----easy to say if you got money. I'm 70 years old and have never wanted to spend money if I can do it myself. I've made some stupid looking tools in my time but they worked for what I needed.
Welcome to the forum---- don't be bashful!
Stump
Old 12-10-2018, 12:54 PM
gmmeyerIII
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I ended up stripping and painting the whole frame, tear out and rebuild the compete rearend, drop the fuel tank, channel inserts and caged frame nuts under patio just like you see her here.
I had to eventually raise the body higher and drop the frame lower, but its all a just a matter of how you get it done.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:09 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 882 Likes on 767 Posts

Dude. I go to the pick-a-part junkyard to buy stuff. Every once in a while I have to buy stuff because it gets to the point where the repair vs replace vs time crossover-cost-point just gets reached. When I order parts I look around for either free shippiing or cheapest shipping and just wait. One of the best things about this forum is that lots of folks fabricate, modify, and repair parts..... and also that they point out where to get stuff.

Don't be concerned with what others can afford... it is also fun to watch and read what the folks that are willing, and can afford to, spend large bucks. None of this is required so it's all fun and games.

Originally Posted by John Vance
I must be on the wrong forum. After looking around on Here. I think I’ll have to get off the porch. Because I can’t run with you all big dogs. Everybody had lifts, fancy tools, new parts galore,, I must be redneck poor man. I try to make the specialty tools needed for jobs and try to be conservative on parts shopping. WOW you boys do not play around. I’m not trying to restore my vette to show room specs I’m just wanting to get her running for weekend jaunts around town. Does anybody know of a poor mans forum ??
Old 12-10-2018, 01:24 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 191 Posts

All of my work (suspension completely pulled and redone, brakes the same, engine pulled with trans, wiring harness changes) were done in my little garage with a floor jack, jack stands, and an engine hoist I bought for $250.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:34 PM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

John Vance- yes there are big dogs on this forum, bigger than other forums Ive been on but don't get discouraged.. There are many knowledgable, helpful enthusiasts that will help you with any question or issue you have. I rarely see any question, regardless of how mundane, go unanswered.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:40 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Yesterday my wife walks into the garage and sees me on my back under the '70. She says, "you don't have one of those rollie things?" (creeper) I'm just a regular guy with a socket set, jack stands and a jack.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:22 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Yes there are big and small dogs here. I'm a do it yourself guy who works by himself. I enjoy the CF because of the knowledge base. I could care less about what the big dogs have and spend. There are plenty of people here with no attitudes and willing to help someone for FREE.

Craig
Old 12-10-2018, 03:40 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Just finished a rear gear swap, and custom converter install myself,....literally, with jackstands and a floor jack.
It can be done.

There are guys here blessed with nice workshops, and guys here like you, and quite a few in between.
Just try to remember,....some of us have been working on our toys for decades, and what you see in the posted pics are the result of years of work.

Hang in there, and enjoy this forum.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:04 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'm as cheap as can be- when I can. If I can figure out how to repair something with the stuff I have on-hand and make it appear like it came that way, that's what I'll be doing instead of spending cash.

Last edited by TimAT; 12-10-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:59 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

I trash pick rolled up rug on trash day. Backyard *******'s creeper. Just test sniff to be sure you aren't rolling around in canine wee-wee fragrance. Glass work requires touch and patience, not big money. One guy (Lowbuck72) painted his car with yellow Rust-Oleum and foam rollers. Nice job too. This was after he cut the coupe roof off and made it into a convertible. Nice job too.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:01 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Some guys on here know some good helpful ****, hang around.

Get notified of new replies

To Can’t run w/ big dogs

Old 12-10-2018, 06:31 PM
mic575
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

There are some low cost fix and restore threads around here and when they come up they are some of the most popular. Its worth sticking around, there are some good and talented folks here with a wealth of knowledge and experience.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:49 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,936 Posts

John,
I purchase parts for my resto/mod and they go into storage until I can start my Corvette project.
I have the same tools I've collected over the past 50 years.
Nothing high tech, just your basic tools, no lifts, but I do have an old compressor.
I'll do all my own work, where I can and have to save the money for the work I cant do.
I do have to question your post when I look at your photo and notice you are sitting on a all chrome, custom motorcycle that go for $70,000.00 + with a $5,000.00 to $7000.00 paint job.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:48 PM
John Vance
Instructor

Default Eating crow (can’t run w/ big dogs)

Hey everyone
i have to take back the previous post and calm down. Every body on here have all been positive and surporrtive. If I can fig out how to remove the oringnal big dog comment I posted. But I have to say I have never read a more positive forum. You all rock. I really look forward to getting into it more. THANK YOU ALL😃😃😃.

Quick Reply: Can’t run w/ big dogs