C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 10:27 AM
Grit66
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

Considering 2013 gs auto Tran
know it’s a can of worms but we on snow day here in va.
What tire is best ride for low noise level best ride ect
car will be strictly a cruiser. Garage queen weekend road trips etc.
my wot days are behind me. Looking for best ride possible.
Either run flats or not.
Thanks for your opinion
​​​​​​
Old 12-10-2018, 04:44 PM
CHEV AGAIN
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Grit66
Considering 2013 gs auto Tran
know it’s a can of worms but we on snow day here in va.
What tire is best ride for low noise level best ride ect
car will be strictly a cruiser. Garage queen weekend road trips etc.
my wot days are behind me. Looking for best ride possible.
Either run flats or not.
Thanks for your opinion
​​​​​​
I bought Hankooks for my GS and a PFADT street alignment.
I couldn’t be happier. Quiet great grip, softer ride and the alignment has doubled the tire life at least.

Mark
Old 12-10-2018, 05:40 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

The nitro invo ia the lowest performing tire in gs sizes, so that's probably the quietest tire for the gs. I have hankooks kn mone, and while I cant Gove them a true review yet, they're not exactly quiet tires, but I didnt expect them to be.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:53 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Hankook EVO'2 K120 on my 10' GS, coming up on my fourth season 20,000 miles on them excellent ride and handling much smoother than run-flats! drove the Tail of the Dragon, drove up to Mount Washington New Hampshire drove up to Acadia National Park in Maine and many trips to Watkins Glen International for IMSA races!
Old 12-10-2018, 06:09 PM
Ssnobrakes
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Check into Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires. They are non run flats at a very reasonable price. They are very quiet, handle well and have a nice looking sidewall and tread design. They are perfect for a weekend cruiser fun car. They are also ranked very highly on Tirerack.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:21 PM
Grit66
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply’s folks.
This will be my first “high performance” car so please excuse the newbie questions
I am wondering about the summer rating on some of the tires and what it means.
Tks again
Old 12-10-2018, 09:13 PM
tmryann
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 is a decent choice. They grip really good which allows me to take corners with more confidence. Road noise is very minimal. The wet performance of these hankook tires is just ok.

Last edited by tmryann; 12-10-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:53 PM
fireparamed
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Grit66
Thanks for the reply’s folks.
This will be my first “high performance” car so please excuse the newbie questions
I am wondering about the summer rating on some of the tires and what it means.
Tks again
The summer rating can refer to a temperature rating that the tires shouldn’t be used below. In th case of my tires is 40 degrees.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:12 AM
BackInBlack05
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

Prolly not the BEST ride, but a good one and maintains run-flat is the Michellin A/S (I think it's the +3 now). Wear like iron too. With Pfadt street alignment I got 50K on the fronts and bound to go 60K on the rears.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:29 AM
ProCycle
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm pretty happy with my Pirelli P-Zero all season tires. Quiet and smooth.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:36 AM
CWIC
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BackInBlack05
Prolly not the BEST ride, but a good one and maintains run-flat is the Michellin A/S (I think it's the +3 now). Wear like iron too. With Pfadt street alignment I got 50K on the fronts and bound to go 60K on the rears.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Run Flats!
Old 12-11-2018, 03:29 AM
Gator6977
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I'm about 5k on my Hankooks and have been very happy with them. As some have mentioned above, they do hold a summer rating. I personally have found that at 50 degrees I start to lose traction under wot from a roll, such as an aggressive highway pass. From a stop, they break loose really easily until the computer slows things down. And that's at a spirited take-off, not heavy. All in all, I'd buy another set as the ride is very nice and so much quieter than the Michellin's. In all fairness they were pretty bald.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:52 AM
gliderdriver
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I emailed Firestone to understand the low temperature limit for my Firehawk Indy 500 kicks ... they have not replied unfortunately. Until I hear something definitive, I have been using 40F as my low limit and drive conservatively - and have not seen any handling issues.

But I do have a concern - I have read summer tires can be damaged or crack if used at too low a temperature ... is that 20 or 30 or 40 ... and it probably differs for each tire ... wish the information was published.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:26 AM
TucoTom
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I went to Tire Rack and searched Performance Winter Tires......
Looks to me like you need a Winter wheel/tire along with a Summer wheel/tire setup.
My question is would it be better to run the same diameter wheel/tire combination for the winter setup?
Old 12-11-2018, 11:33 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

I have had four sets of tires on my 08 (132K at present). and recommend the Bridgestone RF. I got over 43K out of them and they were the quietest of the lot. I previously had the Goodyears and Michelins. I am currently running Michelins because I could not get the Bridgestones when I needed them. I was on the Tire Rack site today and noted they are not currently listing the Bridgestone RFs so they may have been discontinued or are out of production for the time being.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:48 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by gliderdriver
I emailed Firestone to understand the low temperature limit for my Firehawk Indy 500 kicks ... they have not replied unfortunately. Until I hear something definitive, I have been using 40F as my low limit and drive conservatively - and have not seen any handling issues.

But I do have a concern - I have read summer tires can be damaged or crack if used at too low a temperature ... is that 20 or 30 or 40 ... and it probably differs for each tire ... wish the information was published.
They dont even have to be used to crack. Many tires will crack just being exposed to the temperatures. I suspect it isnt a cut and dry answer and depends on things like how quickly they cha ge temperature, how old the tires are, how many heat cycles theyve been through, etc.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:35 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by gliderdriver

As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic. The tire industry uses the term "glass transition" to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. This means the summer performance tires that provide predictable traction in warm to hot conditions will be found to be very challenging to drive in cold to freezing temperatures. This is especially true when the tires first begin to be driven or if the driver aggressively applies gas pedal pressure with today's turbocharged fours or high-torque sixes and eights. Fortunately, glass transition is a reversible condition that allows the tires' normal traction to return as the ambient temperatures climb.

When faced with near- and below-freezing temperatures, drivers should leave their summer performance tire-equipped vehicle at home and drive a vehicle equipped with all-season or winter tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=273

Get notified of new replies

To Tires

Old 12-13-2018, 10:00 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 898 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by TucoTom
I went to Tire Rack and searched Performance Winter Tires......
Looks to me like you need a Winter wheel/tire along with a Summer wheel/tire setup.
My question is would it be better to run the same diameter wheel/tire combination for the winter setup?
Having a set of winter wheels is a great solution. Typically you want to keep the wheel diameters the same so you don't run into brake caliper clearance issues. However, a narrower rim and tire is usually a good idea, particularly in GS sizes. Slightly higher aspect ratio too to keep the tire OD constant.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:51 AM
Rdgdawg
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CWIC

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Run Flats!
+3... did much research... LOVE mine (non run-flats)... haven't driven in snow but 12 degrees and no problem. Had them about 600 miles now, MUCH smoother on rough WI roads over OEMs.

Up to 4" snow (Tire Rack article I read some time back) these will do fine...
Old 12-13-2018, 12:51 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssnobrakes
Check into Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires. They are non run flats at a very reasonable price. They are very quiet, handle well and have a nice looking sidewall and tread design. They are perfect for a weekend cruiser fun car. They are also ranked very highly on Tirerack.
I put them on my 06 vert about 6 years and 14-K miles ago. Very decent tire.....relatively quiet.....decent handling.....reasonably priced. My only complaint is that the sidewall doesn't come out enough to cover the hard edge of the wheel so the very fine line of unfinished wheel shows. But thats not necessarily the tires fault.

Quick Reply: Tires