C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Biography of a Sports Car - 1963 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 12:24 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Default Biography of a Sports Car - 1963 Corvette

Don't know if this has been posted before, but I'm sure some of you have seen it. It's a pretty good and original GM documentary showing the development of the 2nd generation Corvette for 1963. I wonder if the "prototype" is still around?

I just love how simply these things can be put together... don't you? Heck, I'm sure they even come apart as quickly and easily...

GUSTO
The following 6 users liked this post by GUSTO14:
3JsVette (12-10-2018), BIGTIDEFAN (12-10-2018), Frankie the Fink (12-10-2018), happymike63 (12-10-2018), ptjsk (12-11-2018), SJW (12-10-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-10-2018, 03:18 PM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

Received 624 Likes on 364 Posts

Someone was just questioning in another post, the dual positions for the tie rods that are mentioned in this video.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:08 PM
Steve Stone
Racer

Received 836 Likes on 167 Posts

January or February of 1964 we were invited to here Eddie Sachs speak at the Cedar Rapids, Iowa VFW. I did go and enjoyed his speak. Later in the 1964 a bunch of us Corvette people decided to go to the Indy 500. We were seated just across from the entrance to pit road. I have home movies of the car crash that Eddie Sachs and Dave MacDonald perished in. I do not watch them often. It was my first and last Indy 500 race. I had not been back to the track until last year when my wife and I attended Bloomington Gold. I did not know that Dave MacDonald was so involved with the Corvette Sting Ray development until few years ago.

I changed my tie rods to the front holes when I needed to replace the original tires at 19,000 miles in 1963. I think it took away about a half a turn from lock to lock. I have never had power steering and even with the bigger tires I can still go down the road OK.

Happy holidays and safe driving to all,
Steve Stone (original owner 1963 triple black convertible, 570,000 miles)
Old 12-10-2018, 08:21 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

That is a seriously cool bit of historical video.

Live well,

SJW
Old 12-10-2018, 08:32 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Stone
January or February of 1964 we were invited to here Eddie Sachs speak at the Cedar Rapids, Iowa VFW. I did go and enjoyed his speak. Later in the 1964 a bunch of us Corvette people decided to go to the Indy 500. We were seated just across from the entrance to pit road. I have home movies of the car crash that Eddie Sachs and Dave MacDonald perished in. I do not watch them often. It was my first and last Indy 500 race. I had not been back to the track until last year when my wife and I attended Bloomington Gold. I did not know that Dave MacDonald was so involved with the Corvette Sting Ray development until few years ago.

I changed my tie rods to the front holes when I needed to replace the original tires at 19,000 miles in 1963. I think it took away about a half a turn from lock to lock. I have never had power steering and even with the bigger tires I can still go down the road OK.

Happy holidays and safe driving to all,
Steve Stone (original owner 1963 triple black convertible, 570,000 miles)
Thanks for your comments Steve. I have never attended an Indianapolis 500, but I had two uncles that traveled from the East Coast every year throughout most of the 50's, 60's & 70's to do that. Many years in a converted school bus, a working mans RV. It was the only real vacation they took each year and they would be there for the week of time trials and the race itself. We would listen to each race on the radio until it became televised (or we had a television ) and imagine what our uncles were seeing in person. We always looked forward to their return when they would regale us with their stories from the great Indy 500.

I can still remember vividly that day in 1964 listening to the race when the crash occurred. And even later as it was shown repeatedly on television. It had a profound impact on all of us as fans of the Indy 500 and what it might mean to the sport of racing. At that time Eddie Sachs was more well known in the USAC world, but the loss of both he and Dave McDonald, followed by the death of Fireball Roberts from an earlier NASCAR crash a little more than a month later, was a lot to absorb by a bunch of youngsters dreaming to one day be just like them.

It wasn't until years later that I learned of Dave McDonald's involvement with Corvettes and Carrol Shelby's Cobras. I can only imagine now what a career in racing Dave McDonald might have had, had he not decided to drive Mickey Thompson's Sears-Allstate Special that year.

GUSTO
The following users liked this post:
Steve Stone (12-12-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Biography of a Sports Car - 1963 Corvette

Quick Reply: Biography of a Sports Car - 1963 Corvette