Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mudguards/Flaps/Fender Extenders help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 03:00 PM
MyRedVette1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mudguards/Flaps/Fender Extenders help.

Excuse my British inability to explain myself, but l only speak English!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.(Joke guys!).....

My new-to-me 20yr old almost immaculate Vette gets annoying kick ups of dirt or even the dreaded mud on all 4 underside areas behind the wheels along the lower bodywork.
Is there a mudflap/guard/extension rubberized package that l can buy that preferably doesn't need the bodywork drilled for it to fit?
Also, where will l get that fake air intake that some people fit forward of both back wheels & back from the door??

Old 12-10-2018, 10:50 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

When I had my C5, I used a product from RPI Designs called Stealth Splash Guards. The fronts attached with existing screws and the rears used a clip to attach - nothing damaged any painted surface. The fronts are wide enough to really protect behind the front wheels, but the rear guard may or may not keep mud off the back end. The rear did keep the rock chips off though.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:24 AM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,015 Posts
2021 Corvette of the Year - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
When I had my C5, I used a product from RPI Designs called Stealth Splash Guards. The fronts attached with existing screws and the rears used a clip to attach - nothing damaged any painted surface. The fronts are wide enough to really protect behind the front wheels, but the rear guard may or may not keep mud off the back end. The rear did keep the rock chips off though.
This is a first time ever Jack, but I respectfully disagree with you on the Stealth Splash Guards.
I purchased a set to put on my car for paint protection on a road trip to Houston. I had just had my rear "real" Z06 brake ducts overlayed with real carbon fiber the winter before.
The rear splash guards were a total PITA to install with the clips, and actually scratched my paint during install. The front ones were very easy as they installed using the factory screws as I recall, but I got a big rock chip on my passenger side rear brake duct, and that negated the whole reason for buying them.
Also in my opinion they looked like dog turd, on my car. I was 100% dissatisfied with them. This is not a knock on the vendor at all as I think other vendors sell the exact same product and it is made by someone else.
That being said I don't see how anything on the market currently could/would work any better, because the so called "stealth" ones appeared to look like they stick out away from the body more than the rest, and I have zero tire poke.

As to the Ops issue with mud, I don't/won't ever drive my girl in the rain or on anything other than asphalt or concrete roads. That's my cure for not throwing mud.
Maybe you don't have that luxury where you live. If so, I truly hate that for you. I would probably consider a 4 wheel drive if that were my situation.

If anyone knows of a better looking and functioning product, like the Op, I'd like to know.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:48 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

Just look for

Corvette C5 Mudflaps

on ebay
Altec makes several styles like these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/C5-97-04-CORVETTE-REAR-ALTEC-FENDER-GUARDS-BOTH-LEFT-AND-RIGHT-SIDES-MUD-FLAPS/131207474697?epid=1841162516&hash=item1e 8c932e09:g:W4AAAMXQ9otTjsNF:scUSPSPriori ty!14206!US!-1:rk:7:pf:0

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 12-11-2018 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:35 AM
MyRedVette1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, they are that price on Amazon, thanks for the heads up, but l'll read the reviews & wait for more input on the forum before deciding.

ALSO, have any of you fitted these fake air intake vents??
The reviews are either great or terrible, do C5's bodies vary alot, or are some owners just not competant at fitting such an easy mod?
​​​​​​
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by MyRedVette1; 12-11-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:40 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MyRedVette1
Wow, they are twice that price on Amazon, thanks for the heads up, but l'll read the reviews & wait for more input on the forum before deciding.

ALSO, have any of you fitted these fake air intake vents??
The reviews are either great or terrible, do C5's bodies vary alot, or are some owners just not competant at fitting such an easy mod?
​​​​​​https://www.amazon.com/Corvette-Rear...IDES+MUD+FLAPS
They fit ok but you may have to file them a bit to get them perfect.

Eventually got the real ones

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 12-11-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:09 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

I recently got a set of L5 splash guards but have not test fit them at this point. Reviews seem to be hit or miss on fit and looks. I will dry fit them this week to see what I think about them. I currently have “mud flaps” that were on the car when I got it. Ironically I have become so accustomed to them being there that I don’t even notice them although I’m sure others do. The pervious owner was interested in protecting the rockers more than appearance and I’m sure they helped but they were not fool proof.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:28 PM
Jake Welder
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What brand are your rocker panel side skirts? Do they prevent rock chips on the rocker in front of the rear wheel? My c5 is lowered and 4 hours of driving on the freeway with traction sand layed down (thanks D.O.T.) ruined my rockers. They are chipped through the paint and into the fiberglass in several spots. I do not usually drive in such conditions but had no choice. I am looking for a real solution, so I don't have to repaint my rockers every year. I have considered clear vinyl protection film, but these seem permanent, and looks like they might prevent the chips instead. Thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited by Jake Welder; 02-27-2019 at 05:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-28-2019, 06:01 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

I have these minimal 40.00 RPI Designs ones.
They work good.

https://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1949

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 02-28-2019 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:23 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

I have GM C6 splash guards modified according to your countryman, DeeGee described eloquently. I had them on my Z as well as my current pewter. Because they are designed for the C6, you must drill. I have no intentions for selling the car, and if a potential buyer doesn’t like them, that’s their choice. Didn’t stop a guy from buying my Z at the time.
They require a minimal amount of “Dremeling”, you can use a couple of existing mounting holes, they paint match very well, and most importantly they do the job, yet are not obtrusive and are not as pricey as some others that are available.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:37 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

I use black poly splash guards similar to the RPI product. I got mine from APSIS. I only installed the fronts which installed with the existing hardware and into existing holes and required no drilling. I didn't even have to remove the wheels. They blend in with my tires and black paint and are practically invisible.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:30 PM
apsisusa
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 604 Likes on 408 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

We do make Z06 Style Splash Guard for C5. There are many pictures on our web. Please go check it out. Here is the link.

http://apsisusa.com/c5-splash-guard/

Get notified of new replies

To Mudguards/Flaps/Fender Extenders help.

Quick Reply: Mudguards/Flaps/Fender Extenders help.