C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chipped distributor lower gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 07:19 PM
teamo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Default chipped distributor lower gear

Just noticed a small chip in the lower gear. Does this need replacing or just file the edge down a little? Not sure why only one tooth would have a chip in it. Hopefully, the cam gear is ok

Last edited by teamo; 12-10-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:57 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Where do you suppose the piece is? Oil filter maybe? Pump pickup screen?

Just file lightly it will be fine.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:59 PM
teamo
Pro

Not sure where that piece is. The motor hasn't run for 26 years. I had the oil pan off and the oil pump out and I cleaned the screen so hopefully, it came out with the oil. Thanks
Old 12-10-2018, 08:44 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

hows the cam gear?
Old 12-10-2018, 08:57 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

The middle of the gear is where the cam gear hits first and most.that very end probably never contacts the cam. Gear was either chipped by being dropped or that flaw was there since new. Also chip is on the back side of the gear. You can see the wear pattern on the gear teeth at the bottom of the pic.

Last edited by derekderek; 12-10-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:44 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
The middle of the gear is where the cam gear hits first and most.that very end probably never contacts the cam. Gear was either chipped by being dropped or that flaw was there since new. Also chip is on the back side of the gear. You can see the wear pattern on the gear teeth at the bottom of the pic.
Think that arrow is pointing to the chip in the middle of the tooth bottom directly behind where the arrow ends

Last edited by Hammerhead Fred; 12-11-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:23 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

DD is correct about location of wear pattern
Dist turns CW when viewed from above
Also when viewed from above, Dist is located just to passenger side of motor centerline
Cam turns CW when viewed from front of motor (same as crank)

what may be mistaken for chewed teeth may be encrusted old dried sludge on Non-thrust sides of teeth

-edit if that one chip is all, then I'd use gear maybe dress the chip with file or stone as others say. Otherwise, a new, correct gear is under $40 acdelco pn 10456413

Last edited by jackson; 12-10-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Not that my opinion on this really matters..... but if it were in my shop it would get a new gear....only because I have replaced a few distributor gears over the past few decades that the teeth were really bad and the distributor would not turn. And if the owner wanted me to modify it...I would tell them do it themselves so if and when it failed...they had themselves to blame and not come back at me like I do not know what I am doing.... and forget all about me telling them they needed a new gear.

Let it blow apart and then you will be removing the oil pan to get the shrapnel out....and see the cost of a new gear is not that big of a deal.

DUB
Old 12-11-2018, 08:54 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Also DUB, your cars are customer's not your own. And none of your customers will bat an eye when you say this part needs replaced.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:38 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

As a guy that has seen bunches of these, it looks fine to me. That little chip is irrelevant. The wear surface looks fine.
If someone wanted a new gear, I would save that one for me.
I have seen them looking like razor blades. Bronze ones are good for shaving.

Last edited by Big2Bird; 12-11-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:22 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Probably like that when made. Damage is NOT in the wear area. Good to go!
Old 12-12-2018, 10:50 AM
DUB
Race Director

So if this missing metal of the gear is NOT in the wear area. How did it come off in the first place??? So...maybe it begins to further fracture and fall apart.... and pieces get into the gears of the oil pump and lock it up and THEN it really goes bad from there....which I have seen personally. I guess people can figure out how they would deal with this and I guess it is alright on however they deal with it. I know what I would do.

DUB
Old 12-12-2018, 03:06 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Not that my opinion on this really matters..... but if it were in my shop it would get a new gear....only because I have replaced a few distributor gears over the past few decades that the teeth were really bad and the distributor would not turn. And if the owner wanted me to modify it...I would tell them do it themselves so if and when it failed...they had themselves to blame and not come back at me like I do not know what I am doing.... and forget all about me telling them they needed a new gear.

Let it blow apart and then you will be removing the oil pan to get the shrapnel out....and see the cost of a new gear is not that big of a deal.

DUB

Really. How expensive can it be? It's easy and the distributor is already out. I would just replace it.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:45 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

The gear appears to have had some handling damage PRIOR to final machining and hardening. You can see that the edge of the damaged ares shows no signs of breakage.

This is a NON-issue. (and still not in the 'wear area' of the cam worm drive gear).
Old 12-13-2018, 10:29 AM
DUB
Race Director

Fair enough...then let it ride....simply due to only one photo and not being able to hold it in my hand and take my jewelers loupe to it...it might be just as you say. Still nonetheless... I would not feel good about putting it back in and due to the cost of a new gear is not an issue at all due to being so inexpensive....I would more than likely replace it. Others can do as they wish. And if this thread were that of a customer asking you opinions and information and you tell them to not replace it.. That customer then can sign off on it so I am not responsible for any problem if anything does happen with it.

DUB
Old 12-13-2018, 10:51 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Understand your concern, DUB. But there is more to see in that photo than I chose to detail...just for expedience. The gear has been in use for a substantial period of time (I assume). That being the case, there are two very telling clues which convince me that this was damage PRIOR to final machining and heat treat:

1. There are NO 'bright metal' worn areas at the edge of the missing material--which means that the damage was done BEFORE final machining.

2. The area of missing material is heat treated as evidenced by the same coloration of that area as at the ends of the teeth (bottom surface of gear at the teeth).

Further: At any one instant in time, there are at least 3 of those gear teeth which will be in contact with teeth on the cam drive gear. The bad area at the end of the damaged tooth will never see full-loading...it will be shared by the others. And if that tooth cannot provide any loading at that point in time, the other two can easily support that light amount of load.

It'll be fine.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 12-13-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

I was concentrating in another area. The area with the BLUE circle was not what I was looking at.

I copied the photo and magnified it and what I THOUGHT I saw is not really how it looks.

The YELLOW circle is what I was looking at like a chip of metal came off the end of the tooth. When in reality...it really is not and it is more of an optical illusion at first glance. Ora t least that is what read into it.

SO...YES...this gear would work.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To chipped distributor lower gear

Old 12-13-2018, 06:05 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
As a guy that has seen bunches of these, it looks fine to me. That little chip is irrelevant. The wear surface looks fine.
If someone wanted a new gear, I would save that one for me.
I have seen them looking like razor blades. Bronze ones are good for shaving.
x2 I wouldnt worry about that, run it
Old 12-13-2018, 06:29 PM
teamo
Pro

I see what you're saying DUB. The quality of the photo doesn't show it too clearly. Other than that chip that is circled in blue the rest of the teeth look really good. Looks like the gear will be ok as it was a defect during manufacturing as the other's have said. Now on to the next problem. At the top of the shaft, there is a splined area where the mechanical advance plate for the springs mount to. The top piece is able to pull down a very small distance, probably about 1/16th of an inch. I don't think it has moved from its original orientation on the splines but I am worried that it might come loose. I ran some high strength red lock tight around the area but it didn't work. I cleaned it again and put some more lock tight on it so hopefully, it will work this time. Is this top piece welded or just peened over on the top? I could hit it with the welder if that would lock it in but I don't want to do any damage to it with the heat.

splined area
Old 12-13-2018, 07:01 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Braze it on top. The repops are done this way, and it works fine.

A few tacks with a tig would also be fine.

Quick Reply: chipped distributor lower gear