C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Crossfire guys, check my parts before i go assembling this thing.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 08:36 PM
HPaddic3d
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crossfire guys, check my parts before i go assembling this thing.

Hey guys. Just wanted to make sure im not doing anything that red flags to my 84 corvette.

promaxx 180cc aluminum heads 64cc chambers

Comp cams 12-242-2 + lifters and pushrod kit

felpro gaskets and seals

renegade intake manifold

tbi "police interceptor" injectors (86lbs. ?) Fuel capability at max duty cycle

Stock transmission (auto 700r4) (not sure i will be able to run this engine at full go through the tranny till it is rebuilt. Ive heard that the 700r4 limits at about 350 ft. Lbs. Torque. Correct me if im wrong)

Dynamic EFI EBL Flash II ECM

New HEI distributor

New plugs (anyone got a good sparkplug brand or just stick with ACDelco?)

90' C4 fuel pump.

make sure im not on my way to trouble and we'll be good to go guys!
Old 12-10-2018, 08:43 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

What about your exhaust? You have to be able to get that new air flow out as well.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:26 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

You're repinning the ecm connector or do you have a ham board too?

Check the intake over very carefully and make sure all the gaskets line up.

Your static compression is going to end up around 10.25:1 which brings your dynamic around 8.5:1. There is more than compression in play but I'd be willing to bet you have to run 91+ and may have some pinging issues still. Personally I'd run a 70cc chamber and play it safe or go to a slightly larger cam.

The stock exhaust is fine but you're going to leave a ton of power on the table.

Depending on fueling you may need a variable fuel pressure regulator...

I want to build mine but I also only want to do it once... because of that I'll probably just build up a roller block. It's a lot less headache in the long run and you can build that well beyond what a crossfire system can ever handle.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:47 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Stock transmission (auto 700r4) (not sure i will be able to run this engine at full go through the tranny till it is rebuilt. Ive heard that the 700r4 limits at about 350 ft. Lbs. Torque. Correct me if im wrong)
The early ones were pretty weak.. Bad (small) sprags were a particular problem.

When you go to rebuild it, post a thread and you can upgrade it with stock parts (Newer "E" stuff will retro) to more than handle your combination. Shouldn't cost a fortune either.

No problem. Don't even worry about it. Enjoy your build..

Old 12-11-2018, 01:46 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Those Promaxx heads don't have the exhaust "crossover" ports that the Renegade (or the original) intake manifold needs for the EGR to function. (If you care.)

Old 12-11-2018, 11:12 AM
HPaddic3d
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Those Promaxx heads don't have the exhaust "crossover" ports that the Renegade (or the original) intake manifold needs for the EGR to function. (If you care.)

hey man. so im wondering about this. does that mean the engine will run rougher? I want this to be streetable so I don't want to kill off parts that make the engine run well. also, if I put the egr back onto the engine but it doesnt have the crossover ports will the engine still run well or will that severely affect performance?
Old 12-11-2018, 11:16 AM
HPaddic3d
Advanced

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
You're repinning the ecm connector or do you have a ham board too?

Check the intake over very carefully and make sure all the gaskets line up.

Your static compression is going to end up around 10.25:1 which brings your dynamic around 8.5:1. There is more than compression in play but I'd be willing to bet you have to run 91+ and may have some pinging issues still. Personally I'd run a 70cc chamber and play it safe or go to a slightly larger cam.

The stock exhaust is fine but you're going to leave a ton of power on the table.

Depending on fueling you may need a variable fuel pressure regulator...

I want to build mine but I also only want to do it once... because of that I'll probably just build up a roller block. It's a lot less headache in the long run and you can build that well beyond what a crossfire system can ever handle.
Thanks for the info! I have a few questions about what you said. firstly this is a streetable engine. or that's the goal at least. Will it run fine on premium gasoline 91? or will I constantly have to use octane additive to run the car well? secondly, I got a quote from my local build shop to do a cat back 3" dual exhaust with an X pipe for about 400$. is 3" too much or to little? do I need bigger headers and piping from the Heads back to the cat to accommodate a 3"+ true dual system? Thanks!
Old 12-11-2018, 11:34 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HPaddic3d
Thanks for the info! I have a few questions about what you said. firstly this is a streetable engine. or that's the goal at least. Will it run fine on premium gasoline 91? or will I constantly have to use octane additive to run the car well? secondly, I got a quote from my local build shop to do a cat back 3" dual exhaust with an X pipe for about 400$. is 3" too much or to little? do I need bigger headers and piping from the Heads back to the cat to accommodate a 3"+ true dual system? Thanks!
You can get it to a streetable point through tuning but your timing curve may or may not leave a lot on the table depending. There are hundreds of other variables to take into account and compression is just one of them. With 70cc heads you probably could run regular or midgrade and be fine and you'd have a head that you can use if you go 383 without too much problems down the line. I don't know too much but I've always heard to keep dynamic compression ratio around 8:1 for street cars. The half a point of compression loss won't equate to much of a noticeable difference.

There are guys on here that know way more than I do, and I'm sure you have local builders you can talk to who know a thing or two as well.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:16 AM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

I'd definitely assembly the intake dry, seems there been some fitment issues with those renegade intakes. Make sure it fits before you lay down the rtv.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:07 AM
HPaddic3d
Advanced

Originally Posted by ex-x-fire
I'd definitely assembly the intake dry, seems there been some fitment issues with those renegade intakes. Make sure it fits before you lay down the rtv.
Yeah man. I've heard that. would your order the intake from eddie or from summit, jegs maybe? I wanna build the engine up so that as soon as I get the intake in I can dry fit it to make sure it works. If it doesn't I wanna be able to get a new one from customer service as quickly as possible. which one of those websites have the best customer service in that regard?
Old 12-13-2018, 09:16 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HPaddic3d
Yeah man. I've heard that. would your order the intake from eddie or from summit, jegs maybe? I wanna build the engine up so that as soon as I get the intake in I can dry fit it to make sure it works. If it doesn't I wanna be able to get a new one from customer service as quickly as possible. which one of those websites have the best customer service in that regard?
If you call summit they'll pull one off the shelf and check it for you. They generally do this for known problem items if asked.

Get notified of new replies

To Crossfire guys, check my parts before i go assembling this thing.

Quick Reply: Crossfire guys, check my parts before i go assembling this thing.