C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley Hyperspark Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 06:02 AM
Greengear
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Holley Hyperspark Install

Just finished install of Holley Hyperspark. This allows the Holley Sniper ecu to control timing and fuel. Im impressed. You can cold start and immediately back out of a steep driveway no surging or stalling. Also vacuum level seems better than I was getting with HEI. Brake pedal is easier to depress.
install was straight forward. I wired the ignition box to the same power leads I previously ran directly to the battery for sniper fuel injection. I also previously added a fuse very close to the battery positive terminal. This fuse holder contained a 10 amp fuse which blew during first test drive. I replaced that fuse with a 25 amp fuse and test drove again. I will replace the 25 with a 30 when I get a chance to grab more fuses.
With only 2 short night time test drives around the neighborhood I cant say exactly how much performance is improved but I can say that idle and cold start performance have improved drastically. For some reason I was getting poor rough idle with sniper alone. It was obviously ignition related since hyperspark install totaly solved that issue. This system
constantly varies timing at idle like the oem
set ups that came out in the 1990’s. The computer looks at fuel injection related sensors to adjust ignition timing.
This replaces my hei that I carefully recurved using Lar’s paper. Recurving the HEI improved driveability significantly. This new ignition system
improved things again in roughly equal measure.
Having spent about $2k on the complete Holley fuel
and ignition system I am pleased with driveability and the quality of parts I recieved. The real test will be long term reliability. I am sure that no amount of tuning would have gotten my qjet and hei to run like my car runs now.

Last edited by Greengear; 12-11-2018 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:22 AM
BlowAMouse
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, nice car and nicely installed. I have the Sniper setup on my camaro but waiting for the funds for the Hyperspark.

Small word of advice, SAVE YOUR TUNE. Read the Holley Sniper forum and learn how to operate the unit when the O2 sensor fails. Don't ask how I know... Camaro is awaiting O2 sensor....

Enjoy the ride !!
The following users liked this post:
ajrothm (12-16-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 09:38 AM
Greengear
Racer

Originally Posted by BlowAMouse
Thanks for the feedback, nice car and nicely installed. I have the Sniper setup on my camaro but waiting for the funds for the Hyperspark.

Small word of advice, SAVE YOUR TUNE. Read the Holley Sniper forum and learn how to operate the unit when the O2 sensor fails. Don't ask how I know... Camaro is awaiting O2 sensor....

Enjoy the ride !!
I read about that. My AEM gauge came with the same o2 sensor so I have an extra. Im going to save the tune too. I usually dont connect the little sniper screen when I drive. I might connect it after driving for a few days, save the tune and turn self learn to a very low percentage.

Last edited by Greengear; 12-11-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:28 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by BlowAMouse
Enjoy the ride !!
I had hoped that Holley would have corrected this issue by now. A friend went through 2 new ones from Holley, 3rd one they sent has been fine the past 2 seasons.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:09 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

I made my own hyperspark on the camaro... i dont know how much it costs but all you need is a harness pigtail and a AC delco 8 pin HEI module

although i did already have the trigger distributor, but thats all you need for the HALL effect

Last edited by naramlee; 12-13-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:33 AM
Greengear
Racer

Originally Posted by naramlee
I made my own hyperspark on the camaro... i dont know how much it costs but all you need is a harness pigtail and a AC delco 7 pin HEI module

although i did already have the trigger distributor, but thats all you need for the HALL effect

awesome build!
I had grand plans to build my own sniper controlled HEI set up but I ended up buying ready made components from Holley.
On the set up pictured the gm hei unit switches the coil power on and off and sniper ecu controls timing correct?
Old 12-13-2018, 11:10 AM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Greengear

awesome build!
I had grand plans to build my own sniper controlled HEI set up but I ended up buying ready made components from Holley.
On the set up pictured the gm hei unit switches the coil power on and off and sniper ecu controls timing correct?
Yup, it just needed a pigtail adapter for the Termanator harness then it goes from the HEI module to a MSD box.

I used a Terminator setup on my Ford 408 and liked the computor controlled TFM distributor so much I couldnt live without it and so i made my own. The reason i couldnt use the ready-made one was height restrictions of the 4th gen Camaro, its waaaaay to tall to make it under the firewall.

Last edited by naramlee; 12-13-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Holley Hyperspark Install

Quick Reply: Holley Hyperspark Install