C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How to support front when removing radiator core support

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 08:35 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default How to support front when removing radiator core support

Did a search and found my exact question asked 3 1/2 years ago. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-support.html Since resurrecting threads that old is sometimes frowned upon, here's a new thread. That previous question produced ONE reply, and while I have no problem with that answer I'd like to ask if others agree or have different suggestions.

My '64 convertible body is on a dolly (unlike the one in that old thread, which was still on the frame.) I need to remove the radiator core support. How best to support the body when doing that? The suggestion for that poster was padded jack stands under the turn signal housings. Agree, or something different?
Old 12-11-2018, 09:02 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Railroadman
Did a search and found my exact question asked 3 1/2 years ago. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-support.html Since resurrecting threads that old is sometimes frowned upon, here's a new thread. That previous question produced ONE reply, and while I have no problem with that answer I'd like to ask if others agree or have different suggestions.

My '64 convertible body is on a dolly (unlike the one in that old thread, which was still on the frame.) I need to remove the radiator core support. How best to support the body when doing that? The suggestion for that poster was padded jack stands under the turn signal housings. Agree, or something different?
The best place IMO is at the upper control arms... My car sat like this for several months sans the radiator core support with no issues. Anywhere else would be insufficient support or in the way of the work area....

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you several hi-def pictures of EXACTLY how to do it as an experienced body shop does it...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-11-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:17 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Thanks Frank! But I'm talking about supporting the body itself, which is off the chassis. Right now the front of the body is supported by the radiator support sitting on the wooden body dolly. If I take that metal support out, there is nothing forward of the firewall to support the nose. Control arms are on the chassis, which does not enter into this equation, unless I'm misunderstanding what you are getting at.
​​​​​​​
Old 12-11-2018, 10:13 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,524 Likes on 2,784 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

RR, since body mount #0 is at the frame ends where the core support connects to the frame. Can you place jack stands under the actual body mounts and still access the core support hardware?
Old 12-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

IF your body is in good shape I don't see any reason why you need support at all. This is how I supported the body on two of my cars for months while doing body and paint work with no ill effects. I you want added insurance, why not put a vertical brace from the ground to the metal header reinforcement bar running side to side behind the headlight buckets. Or, if you'll be moving the car around, put a diagonal bar from the header bar back down to the bottom of your dolly under the firewall.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:34 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,900 Likes on 883 Posts

Hey Don,

I marked my exact location where the core support attached to the body. I then used jack stands padded with towels. I removed the core support, cleaned it up and repainted it. Then I just simply installed it back into position.

I didn't detect any movement at all, but I wasn't confident enough to leave it like Ken has pictured.

Looks like I may not have had to worry about movement at all.

Pat
Old 12-11-2018, 10:35 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Railroadman
Thanks Frank! But I'm talking about supporting the body itself, which is off the chassis. Right now the front of the body is supported by the radiator support sitting on the wooden body dolly. If I take that metal support out, there is nothing forward of the firewall to support the nose. Control arms are on the chassis, which does not enter into this equation, unless I'm misunderstanding what you are getting at.
​​​​​​​
Gotcha !
Old 12-11-2018, 11:31 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Factoid, those mounts are part of the radiator support, when it comes out there is nothing metal there to support under.

Ken, maybe you have the answer, apparently a lot of support is not needed. As Pat, and also the poster from the old thread have suggested, a set of jack stands might provide a little insurance and peace of mind.

I'm going to remove it, and will have to cut and weld a replacement bottom on it. Paragon has this piece https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-36...r-section.aspx which should be just what I need. $100 for that beats a $350 replacement of the whole piece.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:40 AM
Vettegeezer
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

According to GM photo archives, the body drop was performed by supporting the body by padded hooks under the 4 wheel wells. So, why not fabricate a (wood), beam spanning the front of the car with some sort of structure extending down and supporting under the front wheel wells? The beam itself would extend out further and be supported by saw horses or the like.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:59 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

That has possibilities as well. Or something like a cross piece on the floor and a couple verticals coming up to the wheelwell, with some padding.

After hearing from those on here who have gone without, I'm thinking I don't need to go all-out on this. I'd feel better with SOMETHING but apparently it's not as critical as I was worried it might be.

Get notified of new replies

To How to support front when removing radiator core support

Quick Reply: How to support front when removing radiator core support