C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Storing your C7 with 1/4 tank of fuel

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 09:57 AM
dckotwicki
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Storing your C7 with 1/4 tank of fuel

I saw this video about storing Generation 5 - 6 and 7 with 1/4 tank of fuel to protect a sensor.
I have always filled the tank and added fuel stabilizer. Am I wrong?

Facebook Post

Old 12-11-2018, 10:43 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

See this thread a little farther down. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-of-fuel.html for more discussion.--Bob
Old 12-11-2018, 10:56 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

They are trying to protect the fuel level sensor resistor from being soaked in gasoline during storage. The problem as I see it is there are two sensors in the car. One in the driver's side tank and one in the passenger's side tank. When fuel is used it is first drained from the passenger side tank and once it is empty the fuel is then drawn from the driver's side tank. Basically that means a 1/4 tank on the gauge means the driver's side tank is half full. I have no idea how low the resistor portion of the sensor is located in the tank but it is more than likely somewhere around that half way point as the float has to be able to move up and down with the fuel level inside the tank.

On top of that I am not sure how much that plan buys you as far as saving the sensor. Even when not being stored most Corvettes aren't driven very much so they have the potential to have fuel in the driver's side tank for extended periods of time if the owner refills the tank when they see it drop to less than half full but before it drops to 1/4 full.

Most of the damage to fuel level sensors comes when the local refinery makes a mistake and delivers fuel with too high of a sulfur content although the sensors can wear out as well. When the passenger side sensor in my C6Z went bad the wiper that passes over the resistor portion of the sensor wore out and wasn't touching the resistor anymore.

Bill
Old 12-11-2018, 11:03 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
They are trying to protect the fuel level sensor resistor from being soaked in gasoline during storage. The problem as I see it is there are two sensors in the car. One in the driver's side tank and one in the passenger's side tank. When fuel is used it is first drained from the passenger side tank and once it is empty the fuel is then drawn from the driver's side tank. Basically that means a 1/4 tank on the gauge means the driver's side tank is half full. I have no idea how low the resistor portion of the sensor is located in the tank but it is more than likely somewhere around that half way point as the float has to be able to move up and down with the fuel level inside the tank.

On top of that I am not sure how much that plan buys you as far as saving the sensor. Even when not being stored most Corvettes aren't driven very much so they have the potential to have fuel in the driver's side tank for extended periods of time if the owner refills the tank when they see it drop to less than half full but before it drops to 1/4 full.

Most of the damage to fuel level sensors comes when the local refinery makes a mistake and delivers fuel with too high of a sulfur content although the sensors can wear out as well. When the passenger side sensor in my C6Z went bad the wiper that passes over the resistor portion of the sensor wore out and wasn't touching the resistor anymore.

Bill
Do you think that storing the car with 1/8 of a tank of fuel would be the magic bullet everyone is looking for?
Old 12-11-2018, 12:54 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I have always stored every C5,C6 or C7 with a full tank and put a bottle of Techron in the tank on the last fillup. Never had a fuel sender issue. That will take care of any potential sulphation issue.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:00 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
I have always stored every C5,C6 or C7 with a full tank and put a bottle of Techron in the tank on the last fillup. Never had a fuel sender issue. That will take care of any potential sulphation issue.
not necessarily if you have been reading the forums. There have been posters that still have had problems with their sender unit.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:29 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I read the Forums too much. Are you talking about people who have used Techron that are still having issues with the send units? Just bad send units or did they attribute the problem to the gas sulphation issue? Maybe I'm just lucky.

Get notified of new replies

To Storing your C7 with 1/4 tank of fuel

Quick Reply: Storing your C7 with 1/4 tank of fuel