C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer install question LS2

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 10:50 AM
PrecisionVette
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Harmonic Balancer install question LS2

I am installing an ATI dampner with an ARP bolt. Ive pressed the dampner on with the proper tool but I noticed the AC pulley on the dampner seems to need to go back a tiny bit more to line up with the tensioner and the AC comp pulley. Should I use the tool to press it back more or should I put the ARP bolt in and torque to 235 to bring it vack the rest of the way? Its real close to being where it should be but I can see the belt could be more centered on the tensioner if pressed the dampner back a bit more.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:17 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

the nose of the crankshaft should be recessed into the balancer bore between 2.40 and 4.48mm. if installed between this measurement your belts and accessories will line up correctly.if not within these measurements put your installation tool back on and tighten to get it within these spec's.if your that close to proper recess depth you can torque your old bolt to 240 lb/ft to fully seat the balancer

Last edited by irok; 12-12-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:05 AM
PrecisionVette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by irok
the nose of the crankshaft should be recessed into the balancer bore between 2.40 and 4.48mm. if installed between this measurement your belts and accessories will line up correctly.if not within these measurements put your installation tool back on and tighten to get it within these spec's.if your that close to proper recess depth you can torque your old bolt to 240 lb/ft to fully seat the balancer
Excellent. Would those specs go for aftermarket dampners as well? I have an ATI 918848 25%/10%AC dampner if that matters.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:27 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

should be the same for the ATI.I have an ATI 8 rib balancer on mine and ran the 6 rib belt for a few years before I switched to all 8 rib pulley's and don't recall having to do anything differently with it.you can call the ATI tech line and check with them also
Old 02-16-2019, 09:42 AM
PrecisionVette
Intermediate

Stock vs ATI 919848
I thought Id follow up here for future reference. It turned out that the balancer was indeed not quite seated. I put the install tool back on and cranked it down a little more but I felt like it was bottomed out. The pulleys were still a tiny bit askew so I decided to just put the ARP bolt in and try to achieve the 235 ft lbs torque spec. While on my back under the car I put out as much torque as I could, and at what I would estimate as around 220ish ft lbs....the pulley kind of "popped" and seated. This actually scared the s*&t out of me; thought I broke something. But nope; pulley seated and all pulleys where aligned. I ended up having to stand up to finally get the bolt to 235. Man, thats alot of torque. Braced my foot against a wall. 2 months later the witness marks I put on the balancer and bolt head havent moved. Btw if you get the ATI 919848 that I did and the arp bolt FYI youll have to grind down the diameter of the washer that comes with the bolt because it wont fit into the balancer hub. Not really a big deal though. Did it on a bench grinder. That is not in any of the instuctions but was confirmed to me by an ATI tech that the notes to do so are actually in his computer.

Last edited by PrecisionVette; 02-16-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Balancer install question LS2

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer install question LS2