C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Stealth Cold Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 01:39 PM
lknox21
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stealth Cold Start

Greetings all,

Im doing my homework and almost ready to pull the trigger on a Z but there is still one question hanging around in my head. My HOA can be kind of "strict" and I'd rather not move just to have a particular car, I kinda of like my house. I've been doing some searching on the Mild to Wild switch and it looks promising but Im still not sure.

Is there a way to switch to stealth mode in the exhaust without constantly digging into on screen menus every time I go home? Also, does the M7 always cold start with the valves open?

In an ideal world, I would like to hit a remote and close my valves when I enter my neighborhood, leave them closed when I start it back up again in my garage then be able to hit the same remote to open once Im out of the gulag.

If I can work out some way to tame things down when Im in my neighborhood easier than on screen drilling then I can be free to do all the mods my heart desires

During my search here on the forum, I've found conflicting information and no definitive confirmation to my situation.

Would an of you fine peeps be able to help a noob out?
Old 12-11-2018, 01:54 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

The Dashlogic display controller will do exactly what you are wanting. It uses the side mirror switch to override the NPP modes. When you select your right mirror it forces the baffles closed, center selection uses whatever you selected in your screen, and left mirror is full open.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:16 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

stealth mode will also open the valves for cold start, fyi.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:28 PM
revo1059
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Not that you want to open that can of worms, but I don't see how an HOA could have any leverage to do anything when the car is stock (I can't stand HOAs).
The following 2 users liked this post by revo1059:
kenownr (12-12-2018), rogergcam (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 02:53 PM
Newb73
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
stealth mode will also open the valves for cold start, fyi.
Don’t believe this is accurate. I have the same concern as OP and just change exhaust settings on screen before shutting her down. Stays on Stealth in the morning and keeps neighbors at bay.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:00 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

You can leave the on-screen settings in their default position, and use the rotary dial on the center console for the exhaust. If you turn the dial to "touring" a few blocks before shutting the car off (which will keep the valves closed at lower throttle settings), it will start again with the valves closed.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 12-11-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:07 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

M2W is great. I live in an HOA as well. I close my valves prior to starting early in the morning. Works great and no issues with the neighbors. Also great for coming home late at night. Programs to Homelink so no fuss with an extra controller 👍🏻
Old 12-11-2018, 03:18 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
You can leave the on-screen settings in their default position, and use the rotary dial on the center console for the exhaust. If you turn the dial to "touring" a few blocks before shutting the car off (which will keep the valves closed at lower throttle settings), it will start again with the valves closed.
Exactly. Works just fine. Why the need for additional devices/gadgets?
The following users liked this post:
GNTZ06 (06-27-2022)
Old 12-11-2018, 03:24 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Exactly

Old 12-11-2018, 03:30 PM
ssbowtie1
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Aren't the valves vacuum operated? I don't think they can close until there is manifold vacuum to close them, so they will always start open for a a second and then close.
Davewhitegt (01-14-2020)
Old 12-11-2018, 03:39 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
Aren't the valves vacuum operated? I don't think they can close until there is manifold vacuum to close them, so they will always start open for a a second and then close.
No, they are controlled by electronic motors mounted to the exhaust valve. You can often hear them move if you turn the car on but do not start and change modes.

Last edited by fleming23; 12-11-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:41 PM
lknox21
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
Exactly
I’ve been getting conflicting stories about the cold start being open or closed, even inside this thread. If it’s as simple as putting the car in touring when entering the neighborhood and having it stay there the next time I start it up, that’s totally good with me.

I have a house at a 90* from my garage so the side of their house faces my garage. I have a feeling they wouldn’t appreciate a h/c/i + exhaust corvette as much as I would. I’ve checked and yes they do have the power to fine me or put a lean on my house if I get too many noise complaints. This place is full of yuppie soccer moms who are just looking for ways to ask for a manager.

On a side note, if you get headers and x pipe but leave the npp exhaust, is it still relatively silent in stealth? Please excuse my ignorance as all the guys with corvettes and mods in my area are ***** the the wall as loud as possible all the time with land of their own.

Last edited by lknox21; 12-11-2018 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Mistyped sentence
Old 12-11-2018, 08:46 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Newb73

Don’t believe this is accurate. I have the same concern as OP and just change exhaust settings on screen before shutting her down. Stays on Stealth in the morning and keeps neighbors at bay.
I just checked the code and you're right, I forgot I edited mine to be open for cold start in all modes. Stock configuration is cold start closed in Touring and Stealth and cold start open in Sport and Track.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Since you have an M7 the exhaust will work in the following manner: Set the exhaust in Stealth Mode by using the Engine Sound Management system it will be quiet on start up. With the M7 and the Exhaust set in permanent track mode you will blow the windows out of the neighbor's house with a cold start in the morning. However, if you have the Exhaust Linked to Drive Mode with Drive Mode set to Weather or Eco the exhaust valves will stay Closed at all times. If you want a loud exhaust all the time then set the Exhaust to Track Mode and the only time the valves will close is when the car is in Eco Mode and the engine is running in V4 mode. The A8 cars are similar to this but they are programmed to run in V4 mode outside of the Eco setting so the valves will close anytime the engine switches to V4 even if you are in Touring, Sport, or Track drive modes. The only way to get around that is to operate the transmission in manual mode. Then it will behave like the M7.

You will still get people who swear the M7 exhaust doesn't perform this way but it does on my M7 and GM didn't make the cars that individualistic. The FSM isn't lying.
Bill
nmerhaut (12-14-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 10:09 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by lknox21

I’ve been getting conflicting stories about the cold start being open or closed, even inside this thread. If it’s as simple as putting the car in touring when entering the neighborhood and having it stay there the next time I start it up, that’s totally good with me.

I have a house at a 90* from my garage so the side of their house faces my garage. I have a feeling they wouldn’t appreciate a h/c/i + exhaust corvette as much as I would. I’ve checked and yes they do have the power to fine me or put a lean on my house if I get too many noise complaints. This place is full of yuppie soccer moms who are just looking for ways to ask for a manager.

On a side note, if you get headers and x pipe but leave the npp exhaust, is it still relatively silent in stealth? Please excuse my ignorance as all the guys with corvettes and mods in my area are ***** the the wall as loud as possible all the time with land of their own.
That's all you need to do. No extra expense or hassle of wiring up gizmos/gadgets to your car. Simple and effective.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:52 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Car will start valves open period!! They shut off a second later but still open on start up! i always left engine sounds according to driving modes, so in eco its quiet and tracl and sports it loud...on a turn of a ****! No need for a M&W switch in a C7!
Old 12-12-2018, 09:33 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
Car will start valves open period!! They shut off a second later but still open on start up!!
This is just dead wrong. I have my exhaust linked to my drive mode. I like it in track mode, but usually drive around in sport mode for the following reason: If I turn my car off in track mode, when I start it back up, it's in touring mode and since my exhaust is linked to my driving mode (default behavior, no need to change anything - OP), it starts in stealth mode and i don't get that awesome growl when it starts. If you start the car in touring, weather, or eco, it's going to start in quiet/stealth mode. There's no starting loud and then going quiet.

Last edited by Toddiesel; 12-12-2018 at 09:36 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Stealth Cold Start

Old 12-12-2018, 10:05 AM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

My 2016 starts loud for a second or two and then gets quiet in touring mode, it has done that since new.
timmyZ06 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 10:09 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by gve
My 2016 starts loud for a second or two and then gets quiet in touring mode, it has done that since new.
Then you should take it in to get checked. That's not expected behavior. Now ANY car will be SLIGHTLY louder for a second when you crank it, but you can tell the difference between "loud" in stealth mode, and "loud" in sport/track mode. When I start mine in sport mode, it's LOUD for a second (maybe slightly less than a second) and then gets quieter, but still loud and in sport mode. In touring mode, it's loud-ER for the first second than the remainder of run time, but it's still nowhere near as loud as in sport mode. I think you folks are mistaking the initial startup noise that any car makes with the difference between loud and stealth NPP

Last edited by Toddiesel; 12-12-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:14 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by lknox21
My HOA can be kind of "strict" and I'd rather not move just to have a particular car, I kinda of like my house.
Smallest house on my block is $5M and I start mine in Sport, so maybe point -that- out if they hassle you. But to be nice (which I do before 9AM and after 8PM) I'll start it in Tour and it's actually quiet, and doesn't bark -much-. I really can't imagine anyone complaining about a Tour or Stealth startup.

If you start it on Tour or Stealth and they still give you gumption, just do what I did: run for President and take over the HOA!

However, all that said, if yours is "barking" on start even in Tour and THEN closing, I think that's a defect.

Last edited by davepl; 12-12-2018 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Stealth Cold Start