C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

beadlock crimper

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 05:38 PM
number3
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Default beadlock crimper

Well, i am at the point where i need to get the a/c lines on my vintage air kit crimped. I called a "mobile mechanic" on cl to see if he could handle it he said yeah i'll schedule you and call you saturday, never heard back. I see crimpers on line , ebay, called hydra crimp , sounds like china stuff but where it wont be used very much (probably only once ) i was wondering if it would be worth buying rather than paying someone to come over to do it. Anyone have any info on this ? Also the kit has reduced barrier and regular crimps , what does vintage use for hoses ? Could i drive my car to an a/c shop without damaging the compressor without the r134a in it ? All help is appreciated thanks guys .
Old 12-11-2018, 06:20 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

I believe VA will crimp the lines for you if you send them in.

Larry

PS: Yes you can drive the car without refrigerant in the system. Just don't try and run the compressor during this time.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:49 PM
number3
Pro

Thanks powershift , i know they would crimp them but the other ends are connected to the evaporator and its already installed , and there is no way on gods green earth i am taking it out , that was the worst pain in the *** getting it in there as well as the 2 switches that you have to retrofit on the dash! The guy who designed this set up has either never had to do the install, a contortionist , or just enjoys pain. At 66 and never a very patient human being i'm surprised that i did in fact get this far. If nothing leaks i'll be surprised , happy but surprised, if something does leak I guess i will have a very expensive heater .lol Thanks for the reply i appreciate all help , but do you know anything about the crimp sets and if the hose they use is reduced barrier ? Thanks again
Old 12-11-2018, 08:20 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by number3
Thanks powershift , i know they would crimp them but the other ends are connected to the evaporator and its already installed , and there is no way on gods green earth i am taking it out , that was the worst pain in the *** getting it in there as well as the 2 switches that you have to retrofit on the dash! The guy who designed this set up has either never had to do the install, a contortionist , or just enjoys pain. At 66 and never a very patient human being i'm surprised that i did in fact get this far. If nothing leaks i'll be surprised , happy but surprised, if something does leak I guess i will have a very expensive heater .lol Thanks for the reply i appreciate all help , but do you know anything about the crimp sets and if the hose they use is reduced barrier ? Thanks again
This very same question was asked here about a year ago. I believe one of the guys sent the OP a set or original crimping tools and dies for him to use and return. It should be in the archives. Perhaps VA will also do this if you put down a security deposit. You could ask them.

Barrier hose is specified/required for R134a for NEW hose to keep the refrigerant from seeping thru the pores in the rubber hose. So I would think VA is using barrier hose for their installs. I will try and find old post when I have more time........but you can look also.

Larry

EDIT: Here is the link: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ping-tool.html

Last edited by Powershift; 12-11-2018 at 08:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
number3 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 08:49 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

You might try inquiring at some local AC shops. After installing VA in my '64 I also needed the three finishing bead crimps done. Asking around at 4 or 5 different AC shops, one was found that had the bead crimp equipment. The shop also evacuated and charged the system with 134A.

Nothing like installing VA in these cars to test one's mettle............oh what fun!

​​https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...y&p=1598483955

​​​​​John

Last edited by mrg; 12-11-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:02 AM
number3
Pro

I hear that mrg , it tested more than my mettle, I feel like my back is twisted in a pretzel ! thanks for the help .
Old 12-12-2018, 06:08 AM
number3
Pro

Originally Posted by Powershift
This very same question was asked here about a year ago. I believe one of the guys sent the OP a set or original crimping tools and dies for him to use and return. It should be in the archives. Perhaps VA will also do this if you put down a security deposit. You could ask them.

Barrier hose is specified/required for R134a for NEW hose to keep the refrigerant from seeping thru the pores in the rubber hose. So I would think VA is using barrier hose for their installs. I will try and find old post when I have more time........but you can look also.

Larry

EDIT: Here is the link: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ping-tool.html
THank You Larry ! that link sure did help , one of the members is only a few towns away and he has the tool !! I'm gonna contact him soon thanks again .
Old 12-12-2018, 12:27 PM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

I have the Master Cool portable hydraulic crimping set, I use it quite a bit since I can crimp the hoses on the vehicle, I can also crimp the barrier hoses which are different sizes than the conventional hoses,

Bill
Old 12-14-2018, 05:35 AM
number3
Pro

these are for sale on ebay , will they do the job? https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-71500-H...pJyY:rk:13:pf:

Get notified of new replies

To beadlock crimper

Quick Reply: beadlock crimper