Sponsored by:

Strange Radio Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 12:16 AM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

Received 434 Likes on 363 Posts
Default Strange Radio Problem

I have a 73 vert with AC, 4 manual tran, PB, PS, small block. PO changed out the distributor to MSD electronic system. I removed the aftermarket junk radio and installed the correct year Delco Stereo Radio and Convector, with the appropriate speakers. The radio sounds fine, I do hear a little whine when I first turn on the radio, but no big deal. The other day, I am sitting in the car waiting for the wife, and turn off the engine. I turn the key to Accessory, and all I heard is static, really distorted sound. I restart the engine, when she finally returns, and the radio is fine. I don’t see any capacitors on the turn signal relay, or under the hood. Any help would be appreciated. It seems backwards that the sound is ok when the engine is running, and terrible when on accessory (battery)?
Old 12-12-2018, 06:45 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,291 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Sounds like a loose ground on the antennae. If you crawl under the rear corner where the antennae is you might be able to see the Antennae and the ground plate. I had to clean mine and run a new ground wire. I dont have a traditional exhaust so its not in the way and I can get up in there easy
Old 12-12-2018, 07:59 AM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Since the static only happens when your key is in the Accessory position, I suspect that the electrical contact there may be dirty or a loose wire connection causing the static. This may be the result of little use in that position compared to the On position where the radio sounds fine. Electrical contact cleaner spayed on the contacts may cure the problem. You may have to take the steering wheel off to get a better look at it and also tighten any loose wires.
Fran
The following users liked this post:
Eliredandblack (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 09:37 AM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

Received 434 Likes on 363 Posts

I will take a look at the ground on the antenna. There is tons of undercoating under the car that will need to be removed. The problem with the key switch could also be the culprit, since it seldom used. I had to tear into the steering column to repair the horn contact located on the turn signal switches, and I was afraid to go any further to investigate the key “left in the ignition” contact. If I get my courage up, maybe I could fix both items at the same time. Thanks for everyone’s input.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange Radio Problem

Quick Reply: Strange Radio Problem