C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor P0452 Code

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 08:44 AM
Terry J
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor P0452 Code

I have done a bunch of reading on this and it has been suggested that it could be the hoses connected to the evap purge solenoid or the cab on that solenoid line or the code actually states its the Fuel Tank Pressure sensor. So what I was wondering is How often have we seen the the actual sensor go bad? What would be the part numbers to replace the hoses since mine are obvioulsy not factory or in good shape from the looks of them. If factory parts are not available what are the AN Connectors that I will need to replace the hoses. with steel or nylon braded? I have both types of hose and a few hose fittings.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:26 AM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,687 Posts

The P0452 is most likely either a bad FTP sensor or or associated wiring. Don't know about those part numbers for the hoses...don't know if you'll be able to use an AN fitting on the solenoid side but it looks like the fitting on the manifold side might be a #4 AN...I think it might be easier just going with an OEM hose !!
Old 12-13-2018, 09:26 AM
Terry J
Instructor

Originally Posted by rwobs777
The P0452 is most likely either a bad FTP sensor or or associated wiring. Don't know about those part numbers for the hoses...don't know if you'll be able to use an AN fitting on the solenoid side but it looks like the fitting on the manifold side might be a #4 AN...I think it might be easier just going with an OEM hose !!
Do you have a part number for the sensor by chance?
Old 12-13-2018, 09:30 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Terry J
Do you have a part number for the sensor by chance?
No I don't but whatever sensor you buy I'd stick to an OEM one !!....you can check at Rock Auto or GM Parts Warehouse !!
Old 12-13-2018, 09:35 AM
Terry J
Instructor

No I don't but whatever sensor you buy I'd stick to an OEM one !!....you can check at Rock Auto or GM Parts Warehouse !!
Yeah thats what i was trying to do. rockauto not the other parts companies list it in their system. only the dang pigtail. Think i may have found it in a previous post. 16238399
AS302 and Denso
8162384090 are also some numbers

Last edited by Terry J; 12-13-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:45 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah thats what i was trying to do. rockauto not the other parts companies list it in their system. only the dang pigtail. Think i may have found it in a previous post. 16238399
AS302 and Denso
8162384090 are also some numbers
Best way to order the part is by VIN number...that way you KNOW you'll be ordering the right part...now it "could" be a wiring issue but if you'd rather just go ahead and change the sensor go for it !!!
Old 12-13-2018, 03:45 PM
Terry J
Instructor

Best way to order the part is by VIN number...that way you KNOW you'll be ordering the right part...now it "could" be a wiring issue but if you'd rather just go ahead and change the sensor go for it !!!
I plan on running down the wiring to make sure its not that first but figured for 10$ i would order one and have it handy. Better have and not need then the opposite. The previous owner had a clutch put in so I plan on going through all the grounds to make sure they are clean and make sure all the connections are in the right spots. I hate cleaning up after mechanics but it is what it is with a 20yr old car.

Last edited by Terry J; 12-13-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:59 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

I plan on running down the wiring to make sure its not that first but figured for 10$ i would order one and have it handy. Better have and not need then the opposite. The previous owner had a clutch put in so I plan on going through all the grounds to make sure they are clean and make sure all the connections are in the right spots. I hate cleaning up after mechanics but it is what it is with a 20yr old car.
Not necessary to clean ALL your body grounds since the FTP sensor uses a PCM ground. The sensor is a 3 wire sensor (5 volt ref, a signal, and a low ref.(ground) which all come from the PCM. If you have a scan tool which can look at your fuel tank pressure VOLTAGE it makes the diag a little easier. The signal voltage increases as tank pressure decreases and voltage decreases as tank pressure increases. I think that the DTC will set if the voltage is very low...can't remember the exact number but less than 1 volt...if you have a scan tool you can see if that sensor voltage is less than what sets the DTC.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:31 PM
Terry J
Instructor

Not necessary to clean ALL your body grounds since the FTP sensor uses a PCM ground. The sensor is a 3 wire sensor (5 volt ref, a signal, and a low ref.(ground) which all come from the PCM. If you have a scan tool which can look at your fuel tank pressure VOLTAGE it makes the diag a little easier. The signal voltage increases as tank pressure decreases and voltage decreases as tank pressure increases. I think that the DTC will set if the voltage is very low...can't remember the exact number but less than 1 volt...if you have a scan tool you can see if that sensor voltage is less than what sets the DTC.
I was mainly gonna clean all the grounds just to eliminate future issues and make sure for my piece of mind they are all in the proper locations. I'm very OCD when it comes to wiring and making anything that is out of place look as factory as I can. My Brother has HP Tuners. I'm going to hook it up this weekend and see what all we have. My front abs sensors also have a code so I have to track that down as well.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:53 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

I was mainly gonna clean all the grounds just to eliminate future issues and make sure for my piece of mind they are all in the proper locations. I'm very OCD when it comes to wiring and making anything that is out of place look as factory as I can. My Brother has HP Tuners. I'm going to hook it up this weekend and see what all we have. My front abs sensors also have a code so I have to track that down as well.
SUPER !!...if you can read the tank pressure with HP Tuners let me know what you have...should NOT be 0 volts (open or short to ground on the signal wire). P0452 is circuit LOW (open) /SHORT DTC...A quick test if you don't have the voltage reading is to disconnect the pressure sensor harness. Jump the 5 volt ref. (GRAY/BLACK) and the signal) DARK GREEN to each other...clear your code and then run the car. If a P0453 (circuit high) sets now your wiring is good and the sensor is bad. What you did by jumping the 2 wires was pulling up the 5 volt ref. to 5 volts on the signal wire. P0453 sets if it the PCM sees more than 4.9 volts on that signal circuit. WARNING WARNING WILL ROGERS...DO NOT JUMP THE 5 VOLT REF. TO GROUND OR POOF GOES THE PCM IF THE DRIVER IS TURNED ON BY MISTAKE !!!...The Ref. ground wire is GRAY so make certain it is the gray/black wire. These wire colors are for a 2001.

Last edited by C5 Diag; 12-14-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:59 PM
Terry J
Instructor

SUPER !!...if you can read the tank pressure with HP Tuners let me know what you have...should NOT be 0 volts. P0452 is circuit LOW/SHORT...A quick test if you don't have the voltage reading is to disconnect the pressure sensor harness. Jump the 5 volt ref. (GRAY/BLACK) and the signal) DARK GREEN to each other...clear your code and then run the car. If a P0453 (circuit high) sets now your wiring is good and the sensor is bad. What you did was pull up the 5 volt ref. to 5 volts on the signal wire. P0453 sets if it the PCM sees more than 4.9 volts on that signal circuit. WARNING WARNING WILL ROGERS...DO NOT JUMP THE 5 VOLT REF. TO GROUND. The Ref. ground wire is GRAY so make certain it is the gray/black wire. These wire colors are for a 2001.
Very good to know. Thanks!! Mine is a 1999.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:33 PM
Terry J
Instructor

Well it's all fixed now. Ended up being wiring. The harness from the sensor to the main harness had either been chewed apart at one time or pulled apart. A few inches from the main harness had been cut and about a foot from the sensor looked like it had been chewed apart and the section in between missing so I scrounged up some close to matching wires and cut and soldered and spliced in a new section. Turned the key on and reset the code and started the engine and no more code! All good now. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:44 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Great !!...always good to look at the wiring first !!

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor P0452 Code

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor P0452 Code