C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand sport bilstein shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 12:00 PM
Beef97
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Grand sport bilstein shocks?

I know this topic has been covered a bit and I’ve read everything I could find on the subject but haven’t seen anything posted in recent years. I’m wanting to upgrade the shocks to either HD or Sports but don’t want an overly stiff ride. I’ve read conflicting reports and I know the personal taste of one person will be different than another but wanted some opinions. I don’t have the car lowered so not sure why everyone says that sports are for lowered vehicles (is the GS that much lower than base c6??) but I also have no plans of lowering it either. My suspension is the stock non mag setup. I really appreciate all the info on this forum and the time y’all take out of your day to respond!!
Old 12-12-2018, 02:05 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

When people say "the sports are for lowered cars"; this means that the Sports can handle a car that has been lowered. The car doesn't have to be lowered, it can remain the stock height.

I *think* the GS sits about 1/2" lower than the base.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:52 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
When people say "the sports are for lowered cars"; this means that the Sports can handle a car that has been lowered. The car doesn't have to be lowered, it can remain the stock height.

I *think* the GS sits about 1/2" lower than the base.
The GS, Z51's, Z06's and ZR1's all sit a little lower than the base. Front height with minimal difference, however the rear height is about 1/2" lower. This is according to GM's trim height specifications.

Bilstein advertises the "Sport Shock" "For use with lowering spring sets and production sport suspension". I have the sports shocks on my Z51 and did not notice any ride height differences. Maybe someone can comment on the base suspension with the sport shocks and if any, ride height difference?

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 12-13-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:22 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

FWIW...the "sports" are now called B8's.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:57 PM
QuickSilverC6
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Get the ridetech coilovers. They are amazing. I considered Bilstein at first. I rode in a friends and it wasn’t that much different thank stock stocks. Atleast with coilovers you can make adjustments to the ride and dial
in exactly how you want it.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:16 PM
Beef97
Pro

True but how much do those bad boys cost?
Old 12-14-2018, 12:39 AM
QuickSilverC6
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

About $2000 but it’s worth it.

My opinion the billstines are only a “new” shock. If you bought new stock shocks and put them in same car. It would feel same. People will swear by them. But it’s not really an upgrade. Coilovers is upgrade.

Coil overs also eliminates the leaf spring.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:05 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

I disagree, Bilsteins shocks don't hop over bumps like the oem's and will last longer. I replaced the stock Z51 shocks with the Bilstein Sports at around 40k because they were worn. The ride felt choppy and around turns unstable. The Bilstein Sports with over 40k miles ( car has 82k+ miles now) feel more planted over bumps and more stable around turns, more so than the oem shocks when new.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 12-14-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:17 PM
Beef97
Pro

Any idea how the HD compares to stock? I wish they had a way to mathematically describe the stiffness similar to the way they list specs on sway bars. Thanks for all the replies so far
Old 12-15-2018, 01:04 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Beef97
Any idea how the HD compares to stock? I wish they had a way to mathematically describe the stiffness similar to the way they list specs on sway bars. Thanks for all the replies so far
I had the Z51 shocks that came on my 08 and they are fine on a good road,but on bad roads they were just to stiff and i hated the ride.From advise on this forum Beltiens HD was recommended to soften the ride some because the sport's were a stifter shock so i got the HD's installed and they are like night and day over the stock Z51 shocks......Go for them.Don't need to spend $2000 for coil overs unless you have a big wallet.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:18 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

HD shocks are the B6 shocks, and intended for the softer ride of the base models.

So shock wise, can go with the B8's or if you are trying to deal will more of off caliper surface chop, then the Koni FSD shocks isntead.

As for track use, then the DRM shocks, since they are just better valves B8 shocks isntead (will keep you more flat in the corners)..
Old 12-15-2018, 06:19 PM
Beef97
Pro

It sounds like that out of the three (stock GS shocks, HD and Sports), the HD are softest, stock in the middle and sports are stiffer?
Old 12-16-2018, 12:40 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dano523
HD shocks are the B6 shocks, and intended for the softer ride of the base models.

So shock wise, can go with the B8's or if you are trying to deal will more of off caliper surface chop, then the Koni FSD shocks isntead.

As for track use, then the DRM shocks, since they are just better valves B8 shocks isntead (will keep you more flat in the corners)..
The HD is for the Z51 to give it a softer ride...The base model has a soft ride from the factory.....Now if you have a base model and want a Z51 ride then go with the sports.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:43 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

It sounds like that out of the three (stock GS shocks, HD and Sports), the HD are softest, stock in the middle and sports are stiffer?
That is correct.You can call Beltien and they will help you decide...Good Luck.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:11 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
The HD is for the Z51 to give it a softer ride...The base model has a soft ride from the factory.....Now if you have a base model and want a Z51 ride then go with the sports.
Yes, the HD will soften the Z51 ride.

However, the "Sports or B8" shocks are designed for a sport suspension and a slightly lower ride height for which both the Z51 and GS suspension have. Suspension components work with one another and sometimes a mix and match combination is not necessary a better ride. Spring rates are matched with shock valving. A stiffer shock can be matched with a softer spring and visa versa. As in the case of the Z51 and GS, the rear spring is 12 lbs. softer than the base rear spring. Now add a stiffer shock to the stiffer rear base spring and the ride can be a bit more choppy and increase oversteer. GM engineers felt a 12 lbs. lighter rear spring rate would improve the Z51/GS ride and most likely reduce oversteer. Also, adding thicker sway bars can make a car feel flatter around turns, but the breakout threshold can have a narrower margin. That margin further decreases in wet weather.

My point is just make sure whatever the suspension changes you make will safely, achieve your goal,

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 12-16-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:31 PM
Beef97
Pro

So the Sports will be closer to the stock GS suspension? Just wanting to replace my nearly 9 year old shocks and didn’t really want to go with OEM. Not really looking for stiffer or softer and definitely don’t want something that won’t match well with my stock suspension. Could not thank y’all enough for all the advice!
Old 12-16-2018, 08:29 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

So the Sports will be closer to the stock GS suspension? Just wanting to replace my nearly 9 year old shocks and didn’t really want to go with OEM. Not really looking for stiffer or softer and definitely don’t want something that won’t match well with my stock suspension. Could not thank y’all enough for all the advice!

Yes, "Sports" are now called "B8" and designed to replace the OEM Z51/GS shocks.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 12-16-2018 at 08:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Grand sport bilstein shocks?

Old 12-17-2018, 12:49 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
Yes, the HD will soften the Z51 ride.

However, the "Sports or B8" shocks are designed for a sport suspension and a slightly lower ride height for which both the Z51 and GS suspension have. Suspension components work with one another and sometimes a mix and match combination is not necessary a better ride. Spring rates are matched with shock valving. A stiffer shock can be matched with a softer spring and visa versa. As in the case of the Z51 and GS, the rear spring is 12 lbs. softer than the base rear spring. Now add a stiffer shock to the stiffer rear base spring and the ride can be a bit more choppy and increase oversteer. GM engineers felt a 12 lbs. lighter rear spring rate would improve the Z51/GS ride and most likely reduce oversteer. Also, adding thicker sway bars can make a car feel flatter around turns, but the breakout threshold can have a narrower margin. That margin further decreases in wet weather.

My point is just make sure whatever the suspension changes you make will safely, achieve your goal,
Good point,but i only did the change to Belsteins because the OEM's were worn out, the rubber top bushing on the passenger side was torn to sh$t and banging like hell.I only use it now for a short erand trips.Less than 10 miles per week...But it rolls like a Cad...
Old 12-17-2018, 08:09 AM
Beef97
Pro

Went to Bilstein website and typed in my GS info and both B6 and B8 were listed as options. I’m going to call them today and see if they have anything else to say about it. Will update later
Old 12-17-2018, 12:45 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I ran the Sports on my old '03 C5Z, and I kicked myself for not doing it sooner. I was around 20K miles on that car when I made the swap. The valving on those shocks are more progressive that OE...so they are smoother under normal conditions, and stiffen up when needed. The OE shocks were just always stiff, so you felt every crack and pebble in the road, and the rear end had the typical "jitters" that everyone who had a C5Z (or C6Z) can relate to. Those symptoms completely disappeared with the sports. Much smoother ride over pavement irregularities, rear end jitters were gone, tires stayed planted; and yet over big dips (etc.) the car soaked them up much better than the OE shocks did.

I run the DRM Bilsteins on my '09 C6Z...light years better than the OE shocks as well.

Quick Reply: Grand sport bilstein shocks?