C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Criswell Chevrolet Service...Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 01:48 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Criswell Chevrolet Service...Opinions?

Here I am again, asking another question as I get ready to have my hauler go to Criswell in Thurmont, MD and pick up my new Z06. I've read enough articles over the last couple of years and experienced severe stone chipping with my previous C7 Z06, that it sounds like the ACS front wheel XL splash guards are a good investment. So I ordered a set out of Quebec (where they are made) and have them being sent to Criswell/Thurmont to install them prior to me having the car picked up. Now the owner of ACS says these are simple to install, takes about 10 minutes per wheel. This statement seems to be pretty well supported by several You Tube videos on the web. As I asked to have the ACS guards mounted on the front and plain GM Corvette splash guards mounted on the rear, I was told the price was $195 for labor. Criswell's mechanic apparently is saying you have to remove the wheels and I'm guessing this is where the high number comes from, yet ACS says the wheels don't need to be removed and that is what the You Tube videos show. Has anyone that reads this thread had any experience with the Thurmont service store and do they have a reputation of gouging the Corvette customer?
Old 12-12-2018, 02:23 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

I’m buying the XL rock guard plus other things from them. I watched all the videos and doing them my self. You don’t have to remove the wheels. I would not be paying 195.00 to have them put on when you can do them yourself.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:41 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZO6 cracker
I’m buying the XL rock guard plus other things from them. I watched all the videos and doing them my self. You don’t have to remove the wheels. I would not be paying 195.00 to have them put on when you can do them yourself.
Thanks for your comments. I totally agree with you, unfortunately my body can't handle it. I'm 71 years old and actually in really good shape for my age, except I had a double lumbar spinal fusion on August 6th and bending down for any period of time is extremely difficult. What a paradox for me....that's difficult and forking over $195 for this job is difficult!
Old 12-12-2018, 02:54 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

I’m sorry to here that. I know it is not easy doing some stuff on the cars with bending and knealing. I have issues sometimes just doing things to our cars. That just seems like a lot of money just to install them especially since you are buying the car from them.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:03 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZO6 cracker
I’m sorry to here that. I know it is not easy doing some stuff on the cars with bending and knealing. I have issues sometimes just doing things to our cars. That just seems like a lot of money just to install them especially since you are buying the car from them.
Thanks for your thoughts. I will say that this is one of the most difficult and painful operations one can ever experience. I had a single fusion in 2011, got thru it in 5 months, played golf again and it never bothered me. This year, I started to have weird feelings in one leg, had an MRI and they found my spinal cord bent....so another fusion, this time a double. It's invasive as hell and you are heavily drugged for several weeks and the healing time is 5-6 months. Glad it's over for the most part, wish I could install these, but I'll pay the tariff as necessary. I just don't want to be screwed in the process!
Old 12-12-2018, 04:32 PM
0HorsePowerAddicts
Former Vendor

Received 166 Likes on 118 Posts

We purchased our 15 Z06 from Criswell. Easy to deal with. We are only around 1.5 hours from them. If you want to set up picking the car up and driving to us for the splash guard install. You wouldn't be here long and we could cut a decent amount off your original quote for the install.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:42 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

I don't care how "reliable and trustworthy" any dealership is. They're out to rip you off one way or another. $195 to install splash guards is a kick right square in the *****.
I'd tell them to stick it right up their *** and just get you the car. It literally is a 10 minute job that you can do with the wheels on. They're lying, period.
Seriously, please don't give them the satisfaction of knowing they screwed you over by paying them. Please don't.

Pay a neighbor kid $20 to put them on while you instruct him. Or, take it to a local mechanic you trust.

Dealerships **** me off!
Old 12-12-2018, 08:09 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Originally Posted by Crushinator
I don't care how "reliable and trustworthy" any dealership is. They're out to rip you off one way or another. $195 to install splash guards is a kick right square in the *****.
I'd tell them to stick it right up their *** and just get you the car. It literally is a 10 minute job that you can do with the wheels on. They're lying, period.
Seriously, please don't give them the satisfaction of knowing they screwed you over by paying them. Please don't.

Pay a neighbor kid $20 to put them on while you instruct him. Or, take it to a local mechanic you trust.

Dealerships **** me off!
Hate to admit it, but the same thoughts went thru my head. I'll deal with it from a higher level. Thank you for your very direct opinion!
Old 12-12-2018, 08:48 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,226 Likes on 734 Posts

Good luck ,it only took me about 20 min to install mine. 195.00 corvette tax.
I did not take off my wheels to add ACS splash guards.

Last edited by oldC5; 12-12-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:11 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

The wheels definitely don't have to come off because the one screw that holds each guard in place is on the bottom pointing downward. Maybe they are just giving a generic quote based on some other vehicle.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:03 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback and information. Coupling your comments and the You Tube video on installing the ACS XL splash guards for the C7 Z06, I had the necessary information to have a very nice conversation with the store's service manager and he readily admitted that the quote I received was completely incorrect. This gentleman was very nice and very attentive to this issue and I can see now why so many positive things have been written about Criswell on this Forum. Thanks again, for all your help.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:37 PM
ZeeOh6Nut
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Every service I've had from any Chevy dealer has had the cost breakdown available for my review prior to the work being performed as written up. I've found that it is not the dealership that impacts the costs so much, but whatever GM states the procedure (I.E. incl. removing wheels) and labor costs are.

195 is high for a simple install, but, I can understand how it escalates to that for scheduling, the car taking up space in the shop, and the little bit of labor required from the service writer and even down to the person who drives the car into and out of the service bay.

Hoping the OP's back ailments improve. I have some frequent back issues and when they are bad, you can't think of anything else.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:33 AM
rico750sxi
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 137 Posts

Tzoid9, where are located? I know if I were close I’d come over and do it just for the chance to talk cars and meet a new car loving friend. I suspect there’s someone close to you that would do the same. I installed mine without removing the wheels in about a half hour.

Get notified of new replies

To Criswell Chevrolet Service...Opinions?

Quick Reply: Criswell Chevrolet Service...Opinions?