C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Service Active Handling"message

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 05:03 PM
rumen1
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "Service Active Handling"message

Hi all, I got this message 2 times now. I have read the forum and it seems, that C6s are suffering a lot from this problem, but unfortunately the people who got this message described different error codes than the ones I got. I got these one time, then erased them and used the car for about a week and today the problem occured again. Can this be a faulty brake switch? Here are my errors:

Old 12-12-2018, 05:20 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

maybe a wheel speed sensor going bad? may get more/better responses in the tech section

Last edited by hmmmm16417; 12-12-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:08 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I get them from time to time...I just ignore them...they go away after a few minutes. Usually happen going around a sharp corner and hitting a bump or hole, causing the car to jerk one way or another. Goes away after a few miles.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:18 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Once every so often I get the msg to (engine & car not warmed up). It occurs within a hundred yards from the house upon making a hard aggressive right turn. The msg goes away within 4-6 miles depending on ambient temps & speed. Good luck.

Last edited by S.C. vette; 12-12-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:51 PM
dshamrick
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 147 Posts

I think that is what I just had to deal with.

When it happens, see if you have Brake Lights. I didn't. I had to have my brake switch replaced and then calibrated

The shop had to, get this, send in an email to GM so that a guy could get a code, hook up a computer to my car and then get into a GM site so that GM could program my brake switch.

Um, OK, sure. But since it is a shop I trust and it worked who am I to question that.
If that is your case then do it as no brake lights is a bad thing in my mind and it was a fairly painless procedure.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:51 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
I get them from time to time...I just ignore them...they go away after a few minutes. Usually happen going around a sharp corner and hitting a bump or hole, causing the car to jerk one way or another. Goes away after a few miles.
Well, that does not sound like something to ignore,
Old 12-13-2018, 08:52 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I had a similar problem last Friday going about 8 MPH front brakes locking up, and releasing, did it three times, shut off the car and restarted, and it hasn't happed yet.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:50 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
I agree, I have it happen a few times every winter.. What happens is the rubber of my summer tires get very hard in the cold weather, then when I hit a large bump the tire skips and spins, then the message comes on..I have had this happen a few times in warm weather but not very often...WW

Last edited by WW7; 12-13-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:07 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

There are several common issues with our cars that cause this. Mine was the EBCM. As another mentioned , wheel sensors, bad car battery, will usually see more codes, and if the car is running rough, a plug wire. Looks like your error might be with the EBCM. Let us know how you make out.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:56 PM
719c6
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

I recently had some active handling codes pop up on my 2005. After a little reading and research, I located the problem... the ground cable near the battery. Found a short youtube video which shows the grounding issue.

The following 3 users liked this post by 719c6:
damascus1986 (12-31-2018), EasyGS (12-16-2018), Landru (12-13-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 02:00 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
I agree, I have it happen a few times every winter.. What happens is the rubber of my summer tires get very hard in the cold weather, then when I hit a large bump the tire skips and spins, then the message comes on..I have had this happen a few times in warm weather but not very often...WW
I think you might be getting the " ACTIVE HANDLING" message (or variations depending on MY) when you go over something that your tires can't handle in the cold, which is different than the "SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING" message.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:49 AM
akriggm
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2008 coupe is currently at the local dealership for a persistent "service active handling" message on the DIC. The initial fault code history check in the service dept showed 2 potential problems - EBCM communications & steering wheel position sensor error. Their "Tech II expert" has a backlog, so I haven't gotten the final verdict on what has been happening and what will be replaced (if anything),but this is the first time I've seen this message and the car has 43K miles...…
Enjoy,
akriggm
Old 12-16-2018, 05:51 PM
rumen1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by owc6
I think you might be getting the " ACTIVE HANDLING" message (or variations depending on MY) when you go over something that your tires can't handle in the cold, which is different than the "SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING" message.
Honestly, I'm not really sure which one of the two it was. You may be right, so I will pay more attention when/if it happens again to see what is the exact message.

First time when I got the message, I stopped and switched off the car and then started it again. The message was gone, but as soon as i pushed the traction button on the central console, the message appeared again. Just when I erased the error codes - everything was fine for a week. Then the message appeared again. I think both times it was during cornering (first time for sure). Same thing - message was gone after restarting the car, but I needed to erase the codes , so I can use the traction systems again (or actually to switch them off if I want to). I am now driving without this problem since few days, but I guess it may happen again. Not sure if it's related with the cold weather though, because now the weather here has gotten to about zero degrees celsius and I didn't had any problems during the summer or the autumn. .
Old 12-17-2018, 08:22 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

FWIW...I haven't had this code in years.

One area to first address are the wiring pig tails coming out of the wheel hub and connecting to the
main harness. Make sure there is no wire damage and the connectors are secure and water proof.

Now how I fix, after much research and attempted cures.....

The comb insert into the sensor inside the cabin on the steering cabin seems necessary.
But, even after the comb, the warning persisted.
Upon reinspection I found that sensor/ connector had movement/ was loose.
I used zip ties to secure the connector/ sensor.
Again, problem has not reoccurred for years.

Good luck.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:48 AM
akriggm
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a quick update on my "Service Active Handling" issue - the steering wheel position sensor is being replaced, so that will hopefully get things back to normal! I should have the car back on Thursday or Friday...…
Enjoy,
akriggm
Old 12-18-2018, 10:08 AM
rpor8c
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen this issue in my shop on several C6 corvettes including my own car.
Tech 2 diagnosis showed a sai sensor malfunction (steering angle inclination). The column has to come out to replace the sensor.
Also of note I believe GM had a tsb on this warning message coming on and the fix (at that time) was to install a positive connector lock on the harness at the base of the column. The harness would stress when the tele wheel was used causing the light to come on. This was some years ago.
Maybe a search for the tsb would help...

Steve
Old 12-31-2018, 09:24 AM
Grandsport12
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by akriggm
My 2008 coupe is currently at the local dealership for a persistent "service active handling" message on the DIC. The initial fault code history check in the service dept showed 2 potential problems - EBCM communications & steering wheel position sensor error. Their "Tech II expert" has a backlog, so I haven't gotten the final verdict on what has been happening and what will be replaced (if anything),but this is the first time I've seen this message and the car has 43K miles...…
Enjoy,
akriggm
I just had my 2008 Z06 in for the same issue. The Tech swapped out my steering wheel position sensor. That message is not coming up. Was it worth the $350? Don't know yet.
However, I still have a problem with my baby wanting to "fishtail" when powering out of right hand turns. Does naybody else have this issue? Is it my Traction Control? My Michelins are still good, road was dry, and I didn't think I had tried to put down that much power. Oh, well.

Get notified of new replies

To "Service Active Handling"message

Old 01-01-2019, 07:33 PM
rumen1
Intermediate

After 2 trouble free weeks, today the same thing happened, but this time the message didn't go away after restarting the car. I also noticed, that the brake lights were staying permanently on. Maybe I really have a faulty brake switch, not sure. I again erased the codes and everything is back to normal, but I will have do deal with this problem, just need to know what it is.

Last edited by rumen1; 01-01-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:14 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Repeat: Make sure the sensor is secure and doesn't move.
That securing worked for me.
Brake lights...I have no comment/ advise other than may be an incorrect adjustment from the new sensor install
and, I may be wrong but, a Tech II may be needed to do the adjustment.
Good luck.
Old 09-14-2022, 10:25 AM
bwitt
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was this the solution to your problem? Currently going through the "service active handling" issue where it will lock all 4 breaks at times along with showing the message.

Quick Reply: "Service Active Handling"message