C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Torque Tube

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 06:12 PM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Help with Torque Tube

I've got a 2003 ZO6 and have the torque tube out. I had a difficult time getting the drive shaft out of the tube until I read where you just tap it out. I tapped and tapped with a plastic hammer and finally got it out. Now that it's out, I can't get it back in. I've got it in position where it seems all I would need to do is tap it back in. No such luck. I've used the plastic hammer, banged on wood blocks and with sledge hammer handles; still no luck.

Any suggestions on how to get this thing back in?

Thanks ahead of time.

Spaggs
Old 12-12-2018, 09:23 PM
Spaggs
Racer

There are three (3) threaded holes on the transmission end of the shaft. Do these have anything to do with securing the drive shaft inside the torque tube?

Thanks.

Spaggs
Old 12-13-2018, 01:59 AM
Spaggs
Racer

Just a note: my Z is a 2003 with approximately 36,000 miles on it and both couplers and the bearings were in "like new" condition. It has five (5) or six (6) HPDEs on it with really hard running.

I think I may have found the answer: use a small piece of pine 2 x 4 as a buffer between the drive shaft and a bigger hammer.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Spaggs
Old 12-13-2018, 05:59 AM
Spaggs
Racer

Tried the 2 x 4 of pine and it broke in two. I then wrapped a fuzz free cloth around a 4" x 4" x 12" block of cedar. I used a 5 lb short handled sledge and wailed away. After 10 minutes of beating this thing, it finally went in. I used a set of 9" snap ring pliers to take the big snap ring off - no problem, but trying to put it back on is a no go. I ordered on Amazon a pair of OTC 16" snap ring pliers that should be here shortly.
Just thought I'd write this up, since there might be someone else who has this question.

Spaggs
Old 12-13-2018, 06:10 AM
wscott62893
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 156 Posts

Glad to hear you got everything back together. I rebuilt my torque tube (poly couplers and new bearings) about a month ago and I also had to use a large dead blow hammer to get the assemblies back together. I suspect that is fairly normal...I guess I’ll find out in the Spring if not

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Torque Tube

Quick Reply: Help with Torque Tube