C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Rattle now. Any fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 01:52 PM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 372 Likes on 221 Posts

Default Rattle now. Any fixes?

My 2016 Z06 convertible has developed a noticeable rattle in the dash area. Very evident to me when on rougher roads. Any options to locate and eliminate it?
Old 12-13-2018, 02:51 PM
hubris140
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I've got the same issue with my 17 Z. Last I did a search, a lot of folks have had the same concern with no concrete fix. Some folks have had some luck by stuffing a foam piece in the gap between the plastic and glass in the dash cluster.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:29 PM
cdh027
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts

My carbon fiber dash surround starts squeaking after about 15 minutes of driving and it drives me nuts. Is this easily remedied?
Old 12-14-2018, 03:15 AM
slobbergoat
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I would suggest removing the entirely of the driver's side dashboard fascia (not actually as big of a job as one might expect as long as you take your time) as well as the dash pod; buy some non-vulcanizing/non-setting butyl-based strip caulk like this stuff made by ProForm: http://ca.proformproducts.com/en/pro...m-strip-caulk/ as well as some silicon based grease.

To remove squeaks from the dash pod, you'll want to run a 'bead' of the caulk around the seam between the plastic window on front and the black back half. Try to work it in between the seam, as the squeaking is from the two grades of plastic front and rear rubbing against each other.

To remove squeaks from the dash itself, first remove the HUD controls (they pop out with a metal clip) and gack them up with the caulk and put them back in - that thing rattled like hell on my car from new. Then find any other parts of the fascia that will make any noise when wiggled - basically everything that's plugged into or attached to the main black plastic mass, like the clips that hold onto the chromed metal strips and the start button.

Grease all the metal clips with the silicon paste and put antiseize on any of the metal dash bolts. This will numb any vibrations. I'd also suggest sandwiching some very thin pieces of caulk between the metal strips that fit under the leather 'stingray'.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:09 PM
flyboyslc1
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a dash area rattle too. Car is still under warranty. I’m going to see if the dealership will take care of it.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:28 PM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 372 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboyslc1
I have a dash area rattle too. Car is still under warranty. I’m going to see if the dealership will take care of it.

Let us know what you find out. Looks like this might be a more prevalent issue than I thought. Maybe there's some recourse.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:49 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I had rattles in my dash and used double sided tape and a strip of double sided insulation tape combination to stop the rattle. Stone cold silence now. When you close the door, the door puts pressure on the side of the dash where the tape is all is good with mine.
Here is a picture of the tape and of the tape applied to the side of the dash.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:58 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by slobbergoat
I would suggest removing the entirely of the driver's side dashboard fascia (not actually as big of a job as one might expect as long as you take your time) as well as the dash pod; buy some non-vulcanizing/non-setting butyl-based strip caulk like this stuff made by ProForm: http://ca.proformproducts.com/en/pro...m-strip-caulk/ as well as some silicon based grease.

To remove squeaks from the dash pod, you'll want to run a 'bead' of the caulk around the seam between the plastic window on front and the black back half. Try to work it in between the seam, as the squeaking is from the two grades of plastic front and rear rubbing against each other.

To remove squeaks from the dash itself, first remove the HUD controls (they pop out with a metal clip) and gack them up with the caulk and put them back in - that thing rattled like hell on my car from new. Then find any other parts of the fascia that will make any noise when wiggled - basically everything that's plugged into or attached to the main black plastic mass, like the clips that hold onto the chromed metal strips and the start button.

Grease all the metal clips with the silicon paste and put antiseize on any of the metal dash bolts. This will numb any vibrations. I'd also suggest sandwiching some very thin pieces of caulk between the metal strips that fit under the leather 'stingray'.
Is there any guidance on the Forum on how to do this? Also, will it open up enough of an opening that I can see what's rattling inside when I go over an uneven surface, mostly only under 40 mph (above the speedometer somewhere...may in fact be from the HUD), or is this only going to help with squeaks?
Old 05-21-2019, 05:12 PM
slobbergoat
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Bit of an old thread, but I used this Youtube video -
- and just stopped before actually removing the HVAC controls et all. If you don't remove the gauge pod the car should stilll be driveable with most of the leather sections taken out.
The following users liked this post:
IAIA (05-22-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 07:05 PM
flyboyslc1
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Rattles are warranty issue

Originally Posted by SLWRNU
Let us know what you find out. Looks like this might be a more prevalent issue than I thought. Maybe there's some recourse.
The write up instructions above are good if you really want to dive into it yourself, or are out of warranty. While i do like working on my car, diving deep into the dash area is something I would just as soon avoid. I did take my car in for a “final check” before the three year bumper to bumper expired. The dealer was happy to search out and fix the rattle in the car. Things “coming loose” or causing rattling noises would seem to be a workmanship issue that should be a warranty item.

steve
Old 05-22-2019, 02:04 AM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by slobbergoat
Bit of an old thread, but I used this Youtube video and just stopped before actually removing the HVAC controls et all. If you don't remove the gauge pod the car should stilll be driveable with most of the leather sections taken out.
Wow. Very informative!
I learned that there's NO WAY I'm doing that to my car! I'll let the pro's do it. But a few minor items would be aided by that video if I ever need it. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Rattle now. Any fixes?

Quick Reply: Rattle now. Any fixes?