Northern California Northern California

Mines Road in Livermore

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 02:13 PM
CarterRuss
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Mines Road in Livermore

Has any driven this road? On a map it looks like a great Sunday drive and from what I have read on Yelp it seems it is a popular motorcycle/cycle road. Seems like they might put gravel down on the road in the winter though.

Before I waste a few hours and some disappointment if I can't drive it, was hoping to see if anyone has first hand experience.

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2018, 04:32 PM
TCorzett
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

It's a fun road, but turns into one lane (more like 1.5 lanes, but no center stripe) about 10 miles in... so isn't my favorite out/back road. Here's a write-up I did a few years ago. Summers it gets bikers... winter it can get rain runoff (also carrier dirt) and a few places actually can have flooding/small river-crossing if there's been a lot of recent rain. My preference is to drive Del Puerto Canyon Rd (off of I-5 at Patterson) and San Antonio Valley Rd up to the backside of Mount Hamilton. Del Puerto Canyon isn't the greatest road condition, but San Antonio Valley is awesome!

Last edited by TCorzett; 12-13-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:41 PM
CarterRuss
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by TCorzett
My preference is to drive Del Puerto Canyon Rd (off of I-5 at Patterson) and San Antonio Valley Rd up to the backside of Mount Hamilton. Del Puerto Canyon isn't the greatest road condition, but San Antonio Valley is awesome!
Okay awesome! I will check that out.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:57 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

mines rd. is a nice road, but can get bicycle heavy.
I like marsh creek rd. runs from clayton out to brentwood. if you hit early you can get it to yourself.
this is about 15 - 20 miles of nothing but curves. it does have a few dips that can catch the air dam.
if you head out past 8am ( weekend ), forget it.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:19 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Drive is fun. Lots of hair pin turns.
What time are you heading to mines?
Old 12-14-2018, 01:04 AM
bill.c6z06
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just drove it at pace in my Z06 last Saturday and again yesterday. The road surface was generally very clean and the ephemeral creek crossings are currently dry. It's narrow, parts of it are uncomfortably rough, there's a couple of dips where the air deflector scrapes, and beware - some of the shaded corners stay damp all day this time of year. There are also several blind corners that don't leave much room to share with a full sized pickup (the prevalent vehicle out there). Those cautions aside, the smoother, more open sections are quite fun. Oh, and the cattle guards up San Antonio Valley road (130) towards Mt Ham aren't as bad as they look.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:47 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I really enjoy route 16 from 505 to 20. Goes by Cache Creek Higher speed turns with decent sight lines and no bicycles. A few small towns to passed through but no traffic.

Get notified of new replies

To Mines Road in Livermore

Quick Reply: Mines Road in Livermore