C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] C1 parking light fix.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 05:59 PM
rusty50
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C1 parking light fix.

I have a bad connection on a front parking light I would like to fix. Hate to spend for a new assembly if I can help it. Noticed some of the corvette vendors sell extension wire with plug.Corvette Front Parking/Turn Signal Light Extension, 1958-1962 Part #: 617-706.
In the description it's mention the installer needs to remove the original plug. Has anyone has tried this method to fix and any tips on doing the job. Chrome housing is in better than average shape and original to car. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:34 PM
CaptainEgg
Almost Retired
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

I too am curious about this fix. If you look at the original parking lamp it appears it was not designed to be fixed. The brass contact holder is crimped over on both sides but very smooth. I certainly hope someone chimes in on this with a solution on how to get the original out and how to keep the replacement wire in.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:49 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Citing the part number for this piece without noting the vendor doesn't help - I was going to read the vendor's description but oh well. I've never tried to replace one of these sockets with this pigtail arrangement.....

Bad connections on C1 lights are part of life...in the case of your light bulbs, many times the connection "nubs" on its base are under-sized....I dab a glob of hot solder on them to extend them and ensure a tight fit....if its too much a stroke or two with a rat tail file pares it down. Often the action in the socket is sticky...spraying some PB-Blaster in there and working the connection plate back and forth with a Popsicle stick will often free them up for a tight electrical connection.

Finally, grounding is p!ss poor in design....in the case of the later C1 tail lights (and possibly the parking lights) the ground is made by the crimping together of the tail light housing shell to the body. I have had to drill through both and install a rivet holding a jumper wire to ground to make a permanent connection that lasts for years.

The following 2 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
Loren Smith (12-17-2018), rusty50 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 05:54 PM
rusty50
Cruising

Thanks Frankie. Vendor was Corvette Central. Recently went for inspection and light was out. Just a jiggle of the wire came back on. The last time I replaced bulb, it seemed as though the bulb was loose in the socket. I will try the gob of solder trick, to tighten the fit to seat the bulb more securely.I know a little dremel work would be required to remove existing socket, if I go that route. $60.00 bucks for two sockets with wires seems a lot more reasonable than say $200 + for two new assemblies.
Thank you for the pictures with the added ground, clever and clean.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:24 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I have done the same fix FTF pictured on poorly grounded license plate lamps and tail lamp pigtails on many GM cars over the years. It's a bulletproof fix that is out of sight and guaranteed to end the constant remarks of "you have a light out".
Old 12-14-2018, 07:36 PM
David Moroney
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I did a complete rewire of my 58 two years ago, including the parking lights. I would recommend doing anything you can to avoid replacing them. The repro parts are much poorer quality and do not fit back in like the original. I ended up having to install them from the front rather than the rear with the help of some silicon, as the small tangs did not grip properly and even broke off.
The following users liked this post:
rusty50 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 06:54 AM
rusty50
Cruising

That's the answer I have been waiting for Dave. Interesting to hear about the tangs not griping properly. Hard to tell from stock pictures if there's enough meat on them to grab in the hole for secure fit. I had planned to seal with silicon just to be safe. We all know anything is possible, but your observations from having done it is very helpful.
I've thought of buying old shell and trying the fix before doing it on the original piece just to see how it comes out. As you state, original are better quality fit and finish than re pop in most cases. First I will try Frankie's method regarding solder on bulb tips. If this is the fix in my situation, I will definitely pass along.
I'm interested to know what vendor you chose for your complete rewire. I've been looking at Lectric Limited. Seems like a quality product. They offer two versions for my manual transmission, original design basic or deluxe. Haven't called them to get the specifics for my application, but based on description you get additional connectors you may end up having to buy anyway. Not cheep by any means.
Anyone have experience using Lectric Limited products or recommend other sources?
Old 12-15-2018, 09:04 AM
David Moroney
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Rusty

I did use Lectric Ltd and found the quality of their major harnesses excellent - perfect fit, high quality, right gauge. Very happy. The parking light harnesses and a number of other needs (like ground wires) are not included which i added to the order, and all but the parking lights were fine. I now have a 60 year old car with no electric/grounding issues which is totally safe for less than $1000 (incl. plus/plus for being in Australia). Overall cheap compared to what compared to what could go wrong electrically.
rusty50 (12-15-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 12:29 PM
rusty50
Cruising

Thanks Dave. Good to hear you had a positive experience with Lectric Ltd. They seem to be top in the market for new original style wiring sets for these cars. Can agree with you more regarding the piece of mind replacing the old wiring gives us, the caretakers who are fortunate to have them.
David Moroney (12-16-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To C1 parking light fix.

Quick Reply: [C1] C1 parking light fix.