C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Who has warped their Z06 rotors? I did.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 07:23 PM
bravastar1
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Who has warped their Z06 rotors? I did.

My 2016 Z-06 just left my Chevy dealership with all four rotors having been replaced. I have about 8,500 miles on the car. I had no idea these would be replaced under warranty but they were. Am I the only one that has warped their rotors at this mileage? I have never tracked my car but have has several very spirited drives at rather high speeds. I guess I need to take it a bit easier on the brakes.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:59 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by bravastar1
My 2016 Z-06 just left my Chevy dealership with all four rotors having been replaced. I have about 8,500 miles on the car. I had no idea these would be replaced under warranty but they were. Am I the only one that has warped their rotors at this mileage? I have never tracked my car but have has several very spirited drives at rather high speeds. I guess I need to take it a bit easier on the brakes.
No, you need to be a lot harder on the brakes. It was most probably uneven pad deposition on the rotors causing an imbalance. If you had gotten some real heat into the brakes you would have had a far more even layer of pad material on the rotors, which is exactly what you want.
The following users liked this post:
badhabit_wb (12-15-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 08:21 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

CCB? or iron?
Old 12-13-2018, 08:31 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

well that’s not normal
Old 12-13-2018, 09:37 PM
bravastar1
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Iron. The tech said "They were pretty hammered"

Last edited by bravastar1; 12-13-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:18 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

well good on you for getting them done with warranty, haha. keep beating her!
Old 12-14-2018, 05:40 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Wow. Mine cracked after lot of track use. Replaced under warranty but never had any pulsing to them.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:01 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

Mine is starting to pulsate.

'16 with 12.5k miles.

I had a similar issue on my C6GS. But it was like that when i first got it. But it wasn't bad at first so i didn't bring it in. But as the months went by it got worse. I didn't drive it hard, meaning hard hard braking and i always ease my foot off the brake at stop lights, especially in summer months to reduce or prevent rapid warping. But when i had my long tubes done, i asked the shop to cut the rotors. And they did. And it was buttery smooth after that, for about 2-3 months. But then the pulsating came back. Then i eventually traded the car a coupe of months after that for the C7Z now.

But i'm starting to feel that same pulsating again. It's not bad however if i'm approaching a stop light and i brake really softy, you can almost feel yourself rocking back and forth from how uneven the braking is. Again not bad but annoying.

I wonder if the brake embedding procedure is mandatory upon taking delivery of the car now.

Would it be too late to burnish my brakes, at 12.5 miles? Or should i just replace the rotors?
Old 12-15-2018, 12:20 PM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 371 Likes on 220 Posts

Nope. Something is not right. Driver error?
Old 12-15-2018, 04:32 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Had mine done last year as well. Kind of irritating that a car that cost this much has crap rotors that warp...and in less than 10,000 miles.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 06:05 PM
charliebrown266
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 131 Likes on 108 Posts

Had my front ones changed in the spring! less then 6000miles all under warranty
Old 12-15-2018, 06:19 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 360 Likes on 283 Posts

The sudden hard use especially when the brakes are cold or consistent overheating is the most likely way to get an uneven transfer layer and brake judder.

A bedding procedure can often 'repair' it. If you get them replaced or turned and drive the same way there is certainly a good chance the problem re-occurs.

The GM ring is not fantastic especially for track use so we do have a better DBA replacement ring for the track guys.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:46 PM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 126 Posts

Hot spotting, try to avoid doing this. Something I learned from the skip barber racing school. Their cars have very thin rotors so they told us to avoid hot spotting the rotors whenever we are stopped to leave our foot off the brakes to avoid creating a hot spot on the rotor from the hot pads sitting on the rotor when stopped.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:14 PM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Have the original rotors on my 77 . The rotors they use i belive are imported from China. The steel is not heat treated to a high degree.It is a typical low bid item of poor quality. There are diffrent types of rotors on the market when you have to pay for them your self go to NAPA and compare. Just replaced the rotors on my wifes Lexus (130,000) miles and they were still good!
Old 12-20-2018, 12:53 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Hot spotting, try to avoid doing this. ........................................ .avoid hot spotting the rotors whenever we are stopped to leave our foot off the brakes to avoid creating a hot spot on the rotor from the hot pads sitting on the rotor when stopped.
I have never warped a rotor disc in 50 years of car ownership including corvettes and foreign brands. For the past 20 years driving Z06 & ZR1 vettes, I stay off the brakes while stopped at stop lights as long as I am not on an incline.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:19 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
I have never warped a rotor disc in 50 years of car ownership including corvettes and foreign brands. For the past 20 years driving Z06 & ZR1 vettes, I stay off the brakes while stopped at stop lights as long as I am not on an incline.
I hope your car never gets rear-ended at a high rate of speed while you're sitting at the light without the brakes applied. You'll get pushed into the car in front of you or get pushed out into the intersection where you'll probably get T-boned by cross traffic.

Yes, someone running into the back of your car is a fairly rare occurrence & doesn't usually happen to most people. Though I have been hit from behind 3 times in my life, once while moving & twice when stopped. Luckily, the cars that hit me were traveling at a fairly slow speed. I think I'll just continue to keep my brakes applied at the stoplights.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:32 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
I hope your car never gets rear-ended at a high rate of speed while you're sitting at the light without the brakes applied. You'll get pushed into the car in front of you or get pushed out into the intersection where you'll probably get T-boned by cross traffic.

Yes, someone running into the back of your car is a fairly rare occurrence & doesn't usually happen to most people. Though I have been hit from behind 3 times in my life, once while moving & twice when stopped. Luckily, the cars that hit me were traveling at a fairly slow speed. I think I'll just continue to keep my brakes applied at the stoplights.
Never been rear ended in 50 years of driving. I do count myself lucky and lucky that I have never been in a serious accident and I think a lot of that is due my 40 years of defensive driving and defensive driving classes every 3 years since 1978. If it were to happen today, it would far more likely be due to the other driver with his/her head down looking at their cell phone in which case they would never have seen my brake lights anyway. Or just plain drunk in which case they are attracted to light like a moth. Just saying.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:55 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Never been rear ended in 50 years of driving. I do count myself lucky and lucky that I have never been in a serious accident and I think a lot of that is due my 40 years of defensive driving and defensive driving classes every 3 years since 1978. If it were to happen today, it would far more likely be due to the other driver with his/her head down looking at their cell phone in which case they would never have seen my brake lights anyway. Or just plain drunk in which case they are attracted to light like a moth. Just saying.
You've been fortunate all of those years.

However:
  1. Just because something hasn't happened in 50 years doesn't mean it couldn't happen tomorrow.
  2. The point isn't whether or not another driver behind you is looking down/distracted etc... & didn't see your brakes lights. The point is by having your brakes applied it would be less likely that your car would be pushed into the car in front of you, thus reducing damage to your car, or that your car would get pushed out into the middle of an intersection where cross traffic could T-bone you.
  3. Defensive driving isn't going to save you from getting hit from behind if you're sitting at a stoplight/stop sign.
  4. I have been driving for over 3 decades. I have yet to drive a car that ended up with warped brake rotors from having my brakes applied for a minute or two at a stoplight/stop sign.
Just saying.

Get notified of new replies

To Who has warped their Z06 rotors? I did.

Quick Reply: Who has warped their Z06 rotors? I did.