C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the downside of all season tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 08:24 AM
Gunny27
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts
Default What is the downside of all season tires

I have a 2017 Grand Sport with Z07 package and I still have the Cup tires. If go to the Pilot A/S tires how much corning grip do I loose. Currently the cup tires are rates a 1.2g and the Pilot Sports are rated at 1.02gs. what will the all season tires get on the skid pad?

I know the good side
1. wont crack in cold weather below 20 degrees
2. better handling in wet
3. cost less

Last edited by Gunny27; 12-14-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:47 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

You'll seriously neuter the car....
Old 12-14-2018, 10:24 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,059 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

If you drive your car now and require those skid pad results, you won't be able to do that.

If you drive your car now and require 90% of those skid pad results, you'll probably get that.

If you drive your car as a daily driver or drive the car to take highway trips and don't require a skid pad result to complete your trip, you'll never know the difference.

You'll save money, get increased tire mileage, safer travel in less than optimum weather, no worries with cold temperatures and still get plenty of traction but short of race level traction, you make the call. I had so planned on switching to the A/S tires but I got caught with a hidden bald tire and the A/S weren't on hand and would take 3 days to get but they had the OEM tires on hand, so I replaced with the OEM cup tires. I'll get the A/S next time.

Elmer
The following 2 users liked this post by eboggs_jkvl:
$Bill (12-17-2018), Avanti (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 10:53 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
If you drive your car as a daily driver or drive the car to take highway trips and don't require a skid pad result to complete your trip, you'll never know the difference.
This. You have to be pushing the car very hard to reach the grip limits of the tires in a turn (power oversteer not withstanding). And honestly the street is NOT the place for doing tire grip related experiments unless you to visit the nearest ditch, tree, curb, light pole, etc.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:55 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunny27
I have a 2017 Grand Sport with Z07 package and I still have the Cup tires. If go to the Pilot A/S tires how much corning grip do I loose. Currently the cup tires are rates a 1.2g and the Pilot Sports are rated at 1.02gs. what will the all season tires get on the skid pad?

I know the good side
1. wont crack in cold weather below 20 degrees
2. better handling in wet
3. cost less
For the vast majority of drivers they won't notice a difference in handling. You have to push the car hard to get to the point where the tire grip will make a difference. Most drivers get nervous and slow down when they get to about 30% of the capability of any car let alone a Corvette. The only time it makes a difference for them is when it comes to an emergency maneuver where they need to change direction quickly to avoid something and the car doesn't have the grip to do what they want.

I have taken many inexperienced people for track or autocross rides and the almost universal comment I hear when they get out of the car is I didn't know a car could do that. As for cornering G's I have PDR data showing that I have hit 1.5 lateral Gs during a track session while running Cup 2 tires .

Bill
Old 12-14-2018, 01:35 PM
Gunny27
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
For the vast majority of drivers they won't notice a difference in handling. You have to push the car hard to get to the point where the tire grip will make a difference. Most drivers get nervous and slow down when they get to about 30% of the capability of any car let alone a Corvette. The only time it makes a difference for them is when it comes to an emergency maneuver where they need to change direction quickly to avoid something and the car doesn't have the grip to do what they want.

I have taken many inexperienced people for track or autocross rides and the almost universal comment I hear when they get out of the car is I didn't know a car could do that. As for cornering G's I have PDR data showing that I have hit 1.5 lateral Gs during a track session while running Cup 2 tires . what I'm hearing so far is that the A/S tire should still give me enough capability that I won't notice unless I'm at the track.

Bill
The car is my daily driver and I don't mind taking it easy in wet weather but I do enjoy the opportunity to push the car around for instance on entrance and exit ramps that are circular in nature or when I have a 90 degree yield turn when traffic permits. I was planning on going to the pilot sports non cup tires because I don't have the opportunity to push the car that much although I do like the confidence that the Cup tires give me in dry conditions and I do think that the pilot sports will still give me residual capability. I know the car can do more that I'm comfortable doing and I like knowing that so I don't want to take away so much of the cars capabilities that I am getting close to those limits.
So I think I'm hearing here is that unless I'm tracking the car I won't be able to tell the difference except I will get much better performance in the wet.

Last edited by Gunny27; 12-14-2018 at 01:40 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-14-2018, 01:41 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

These will be just fine for your car.
Fronts...#19713 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ 245/35ZR19 ZP ASY M+S,

Rears....#05262 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ 285/30ZR20 ZP ASY M+S
Old 12-14-2018, 02:48 PM
Gunny27
Advanced

I believe that for my GS the Michelin -Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus will be the correct all season tires

Front 285/30ZR19
Rear 335/25ZR20
Old 12-14-2018, 03:27 PM
eboggs_jkvl

I believe that for my GS the Michelin -Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus will be the correct all season tires

Front 285/30ZR19
Rear 335/25ZR20

My bad, I missed the GS.

Elmer
Old 12-15-2018, 07:20 AM
Barnwood
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Changed the PSS at delivery of my GS M7 and now I have 1,000 miles on my AS tires and I see no downside unless you track your car. I have a vert and the ride is as I expected for a sports car, noise level is fine and so far they handle very well. I haven't pushed the car that hard but I did get a .98 on the G meter feeling good going over the mountains.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:22 AM
Sellout
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

So I think I'm hearing here is that unless I'm tracking the car I won't be able to tell the difference except I will get much better performance in the wet.
I think that’s putting a bit too much weight on the skid pad comments. You will feel a difference when you’re pushing it. The takeaway here is that the difference isn’t so big that you’d suddenly not be able to enjoy the car when conditions allow for some spirited driving.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:56 AM
eboggs_jkvl

If you drive the car to it's limits every day or track the car, then you might lose some lap times. If you drive the car on the street and don't push the car to get those great skid pad numbers, you'll not notice the difference and your car won't crash because of poor traction. The A/S tires are very good on the car but they won't give you the same track times as the cup tires will. I don't use my car where 1 or 2 seconds of track position will make me sad. You still will have plenty of grip to exercise your driving pleasure.

Elmer
Old 12-17-2018, 06:31 PM
Sebring Bill
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

On the street you will not notice any negative difference. I have driven Cup 2s PSS and AS3+ On the street. Just finished a 45 minute drive on some very winding roads here in Ohio with the AS3+ tires I have on my 2018 Grand Sport. 42 degrees outside. Roads were mostly dry, wet in places. Surprised twice with mud all over the road from farmers as well. Very happy with car and tires. Only measured skid pad “favorite on ramp” once a while back and was pleasantly surprised to pull .96g at less than the limit. Same on ramp with PSS tires pulled 1.06g last summer at the limit. I have only tracked the PSS tires, 1.43g max. They are very good on the track and good in the rain. The PSS tires get pretty loose at about 50 degrees if they aren’t warmed up. Looking forward to tracking the cup 2s next spring. I believe the AS3+ tires to be best all around street tire.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the downside of all season tires

Quick Reply: What is the downside of all season tires