C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Replacement Steering Rack...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 09:08 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

Default Thoughts on Replacement Steering Rack...

This past summer the magnasteer on my steering rack failed. Nobody is making brand new steering racks for these cars, so the shop I go to purchased a rebuilt one. Alignment shop said it was leaking, but after tightening things up, seemed fine. Now, I checked the fluid reservoir and it did seem low, so I added fluid.

I wish I would have taken photos, but there was a brown liquid on the "crossmember" when I had the car on ramps to do turn signal bulbs.

So now I believe this rebuilt replacement is leaking. I'll probably call the shop this coming week. Not sure if this rebuilt part has any type of warranty.

Here is a thought that I'm putting out there. Instead of buying a rebuilt one, would it be a better idea to buy a USED one-perhaps from somebody parting out a car that was maybe hit from the rear. If you needed a steering rack, would you want used or rebuilt?

I just wish somebody would make a new one so I didn't have to dick around with this. When I fix something/have it fixed I just want to do it once and be done with it.

The annoying thing is-many sites/companies are selling rebuilt racks and I have seen prices range from $299-$799-doesn't seem like one is better than the other.

And I have read other threads where somebody talks about going through 2-3 racks before they find one that is working and not leaking.

Thoughts?
Old 12-14-2018, 09:26 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:18 AM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

I purchased a rebuilt rack and did not have a problem with it. No leaks and everything worked great. That has been over 4 years and still working just fine. It was $250.00 plus a refundable core charge. I got it from a seller on Ebay. The rack came from a company in Texas. I have heard of others that had bad experiences with exchange racks. Turn One rebuilds steering racks and I have not heard any bad stories about them. My rebuilt rack has a 5 year warranty on it.

If I was going to do it over I would have mine rebuilt by Turn one. https://www.turnone-steering.com/
Old 12-15-2018, 06:08 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by zachaeous
I purchased a rebuilt rack and did not have a problem with it. No leaks and everything worked great. That has been over 4 years and still working just fine. It was $250.00 plus a refundable core charge. I got it from a seller on Ebay. The rack came from a company in Texas. I have heard of others that had bad experiences with exchange racks. Turn One rebuilds steering racks and I have not heard any bad stories about them. My rebuilt rack has a 5 year warranty on it.

If I was going to do it over I would have mine rebuilt by Turn one. https://www.turnone-steering.com/
Yeah, I let the shop handle ordering this one, so hopefully there is a warranty on it and it will be honored. I was just trying to think of alternatives.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on Replacement Steering Rack...

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Replacement Steering Rack...