C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] LS side pipe headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 01:08 PM
BlackMoon
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Default LS side pipe headers

I'm looking for anyone that makes/sells long tube headers for an LS that exit the side rather then rearward for my C2 resto. I don't want to use shorty or block huggers since I can only find them with 1-5/8" pipes and a 2.5" collector.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-15-2018, 01:18 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

I've used these with and LS3 and LS7 in an SRIII chassis, side exhaust. https://stainlessworks.net/1963-82-1...xhaust-headers
I don't know if they will work with a stock chassis and don't think anyone else makes anything as a standard item. You may want to just order a set and try them with the possibility you may be returning if they don't fit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ken Sungela:
BlackMoon (12-16-2018), Saddletan (12-16-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 02:14 PM
BlackMoon
Pro

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
I've used these with and LS3 and LS7 in an SRIII chassis, side exhaust. https://stainlessworks.net/1963-82-1...xhaust-headers
I don't know if they will work with a stock chassis and don't think anyone else makes anything as a standard item. You may want to just order a set and try them with the possibility you may be returning if they don't fit.
I have an SRIII frame as well. Thank you Ken!!!
Old 12-15-2018, 02:17 PM
BlackMoon
Pro

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
I'm glad I asked. I was about to spend $2500 to have a set made.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:36 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,366 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Another option that a lot of guys use it to buy the old school Hooker side pipes for a big block car, and then cut off the flange and weld on an LS flange from Stainless Works. The big block header tubes are almost perfectly aligned for the cylinder heads on an LS....relatively minor modifications and certainly cheaper than having custom headers made.
The following users liked this post:
BlackMoon (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 01:33 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 952 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
Another option that a lot of guys use it to buy the old school Hooker side pipes for a big block car, and then cut off the flange and weld on an LS flange from Stainless Works. The big block header tubes are almost perfectly aligned for the cylinder heads on an LS....relatively minor modifications and certainly cheaper than having custom headers made.
I too am very interested in this...Have you used the big block headers for this ...or can you point me to someone who has done it?
Old 12-16-2018, 03:58 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,366 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by vjjack04
I too am very interested in this...Have you used the big block headers for this ...or can you point me to someone who has done it?

I haven't....back when I had my '69 C3, I was intending to swap an LS into and there was a very specific look I was going for....

I did a ton of research in how to get the old school Hooker look with the LS. The two prevailing options are custom headers to the tune of $3000 plus, or use the uncoated Hooker big block headers, with the LS flanges. Most buy them uncoated, have them modified, and then sending them out to be coated. Any good hot rod shop should be able to do it. The big thing is having the LS engine mounted in the car, so that the headers and side pipes can be mounted, and modified in the car. You bolt the LS flange to the heads, and then tack weld the individual tubes to the flange, then pull the assembly off and finish weld it. I used to have a good write up on it, which I think got purged when I sold the '69 and bought my '64, but if I remember correctly, only one tube on each side needed to be moved, and it was not significantly.

Another option is https://www.detroitspeed.com/hot-pro...-engine-061006 Extremely pricey, but they will bolt in. They're specifically designed to clear the Detroit Speed suspension, but I'm pretty sure they'll also clear the stock suspension....I'd certainly verify before dropping that kind of coin!

Good Luck!
The following 3 users liked this post by FLYNAVY30:
BlackMoon (12-19-2018), Saddletan (12-16-2018), vjjack04 (12-17-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 04:50 PM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,303 Likes on 482 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
I haven't....back when I had my '69 C3, I was intending to swap an LS into and there was a very specific look I was going for....

I did a ton of research in how to get the old school Hooker look with the LS. The two prevailing options are custom headers to the tune of $3000 plus, or use the uncoated Hooker big block headers, with the LS flanges. Most buy them uncoated, have them modified, and then sending them out to be coated. Any good hot rod shop should be able to do it. The big thing is having the LS engine mounted in the car, so that the headers and side pipes can be mounted, and modified in the car. You bolt the LS flange to the heads, and then tack weld the individual tubes to the flange, then pull the assembly off and finish weld it. I used to have a good write up on it, which I think got purged when I sold the '69 and bought my '64, but if I remember correctly, only one tube on each side needed to be moved, and it was not significantly.

Another option is https://www.detroitspeed.com/hot-pro...-engine-061006 Extremely pricey, but they will bolt in. They're specifically designed to clear the Detroit Speed suspension, but I'm pretty sure they'll also clear the stock suspension....I'd certainly verify before dropping that kind of coin!

Good Luck!
I used to have a set exactly like that on my '68 327. Kustom Tunnel Tube headers, back in about 1969.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:59 PM
Ibuildforyou
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackMoon
I'm looking for anyone that makes/sells long tube headers for an LS that exit the side rather then rearward for my C2 resto. I don't want to use shorty or block huggers since I can only find them with 1-5/8" pipes and a 2.5" collector.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
I HAVE A NICE SET OF PIPES YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN ! SEE ATTACHED PICTURES
MY USER NAME ON HERE IS IBUILDFORYOU

Old 02-23-2024, 06:26 PM
Ibuildforyou
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibuildforyou
I HAVE A NICE SET OF PIPES YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN ! SEE ATTACHED PICTURES
MY USER NAME ON HERE IS IBUILDFORYOU

Get notified of new replies

To LS side pipe headers