Restoring/polishing chrome and stainless

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 09:36 AM
Pmccooey
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Restoring/polishing chrome and stainless

Morning everyone! While my car is out for the winter for paint I was looking to clean up the chrome and stainless pieces. I’ve read all sorts of advice from aluminum foil, polish, windex, etc. Others have said to never use anything but wax otherwise you’ll remove the chrome layer on top and lead to rust. The pieces I have are straight but have swirl marks in them, doesnt feel like scratches.

So what is my best course of action? Just wax them to shine them up and protect them? What about the stainless pieces? Same thing?
Old 12-16-2018, 11:30 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Metal polish for chrome, stainless can be buffed up to look super sharp have to be careful though.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:50 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Repairing stainless trim can be done, but it takes someone with good skills to do it. Polishing stainless is a relatively easy task. Remove any clips from the back side and mark where they go. Clean the pieces well....front and back (you do not want any dirt on back to vibrate loose and get into the polishing wheel). Use a loose cotton wheel and green polishing compound.

Make sure wheel is dressed clean of old 'stuff' and put some green compound on it. Wear gloves and face shield!!! Hold part so it lines up with wheel and use moderate force to apply the part to the wheel. Always keep some slow movement going with the part so the contact point doesn't get hot.

ALWAYS have the wheel running down and OVER any lips or edges. NEVER have the wheel turning into edges of any kind. Follow these two absolute rules and be patient. With a little practice and careful application of the part to the wheel surface, your stainless pieces can look BETTER than new.
The following users liked this post:
20mercury (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 06:17 PM
Pmccooey
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks for the input. The stainless is in good shape. Has some old wax/crud in some pieces. Chrome original pieces that I’m using could use some polishing and hopefully get rid of the swirl marks.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:58 PM
atthemattin
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pmccooey
Morning everyone! While my car is out for the winter for paint I was looking to clean up the chrome and stainless pieces. I’ve read all sorts of advice from aluminum foil, polish, windex, etc. Others have said to never use anything but wax otherwise you’ll remove the chrome layer on top and lead to rust. The pieces I have are straight but have swirl marks in them, doesnt feel like scratches.

So what is my best course of action? Just wax them to shine them up and protect them? What about the stainless pieces? Same thing?
honestly, I'd use something mildly abrasive and work it out to a polish. Maybe like a scratch remover and then see what it dose. You probably have like 1 1/1000 of chrome on it, so you do have some to play with. Just don't burn through it by only doing a small spot
Old 12-17-2018, 05:27 AM
sug
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 270 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C3 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

When I got my rear bumpers redone the chrome guy said just to use a wax [he used turtle wax],nothing abrasive .

Get notified of new replies

To Restoring/polishing chrome and stainless

Quick Reply: Restoring/polishing chrome and stainless