C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the C3 Family, tell me what you think....

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 04:32 PM
Pompous_Vette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the C3 Family, tell me what you think....

Ok, you see the pictures that I have, I can have more later in the week but let me tell you what I got and for how much.
I had the privilege to purchase this car from a nice gentleman who owned the car for the past 10 years. Currently runs and drives although he has not put many miles on it in the recent years. AS you can see the car is becoming more abused to the outside conditions.
The car is 1971 Stingray. The vin matches the Motor 350 (270HP) and matching Turbo Hydra-Matic Automatic Transmission.
Again cranks and runs. The car does need a lot of TLC but that was to be expected from a 1971 car that little has been done to it over the years. Never been in a wreck. The Frame has some surface rust but no rust outs ( That I was able to see without having it on a lift). Body is straight and complete. The Plate on the drivers door jam states the car has Sattle Vinyl interior (which it does) and the Original exterior color is Ontario Orange ( which the car, as you can see, has been painted white). The car has Power Windows and Power steering. Comes with two sets of tops the colored ones as seen and smoked. Plus the car will come with the original Rims that are not pictured. Everything appears to be working except AC...
I think I hit most everything...
So how much did I pay? 9k.
A. Great Buy
B. Good Buy
C. Fair buy
D. Should have kept looking
It is ok to be honest, i am not sensitive... LOL

It is hard to understand the gray areas of the value according to Hagerty's website but I believe this was a good deal for me. ​​​​​​Given the fair value was 11,600. I am not sure how much subjective value there is, meaning to a Corvette C3 lover/enthusiast what is the true value?
Anyway shot my a reply. Thanks again for reading.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:48 PM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Has potential, did you check birdcage, remove kick panels looking for rust? Is driver side rear bumper sagging, into glass? Need more info, Mark
Old 12-16-2018, 06:52 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

I think you will need to be a fast learner and persistent, not letting the car get you down.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:54 PM
Paul Drennan
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Please recheck that trim tag. Car appears to have deluxe leather interior in it. Chip.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:03 PM
Pompous_Vette
Cruising

Thx Mark for your response, I did not remove the kick panel the best I could view of coarse is the Pillar arms and door jams... I did see a video about removing the Kick panel but was not sure if that an appropriate to do this when it was not my car. I guess this will be a surprise when I do remove it, pray for the best... and yes the rear bumper needs to be straighten up but not glass damage. The story was the previous owner backed into something pushing the bumper downwards. Seems to be a fixable problem... Unless you know something in particular? I open for any advice... thanks again
Old 12-16-2018, 08:05 PM
Pompous_Vette
Cruising

Not a quick or hurried project. I am at that time in my life where I want to send quality time with me and my machine and leave lifes worries behind. Classic Music and a classic car... LOL...Thx
Old 12-16-2018, 08:08 PM
Pompous_Vette
Cruising

Wow Chip, interesting that you say that. When I saw the interior I thought the same and was kinda excited about that but the trim tag does say Vinyl as I checked and rechecked a dozen times. Now, not to say many moons ago that an owner exchanged it for leather but I will investagate closer... thx
Old 12-16-2018, 08:13 PM
Pompous_Vette
Cruising

Old 12-16-2018, 09:24 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Congrats on your C3. I don’t think I’ve been a C3 owner long enough to give an A,B,C, or D answer for you, but if it’s not rotten from rust and runs, that’s a plus. I’ll stand bye for more pictures! Good luck!
Old 12-16-2018, 09:34 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

I would say face value if you do all the work.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:43 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Pompous_Vette

Ok, you see the pictures that I have, I can have more later in the week but let me tell you what I got and for how much.
I had the privilege to purchase this car from a nice gentleman who owned the car for the past 10 years. Currently runs and drives although he has not put many miles on it in the recent years. AS you can see the car is becoming more abused to the outside conditions.
The car is 1971 Stingray. The vin matches the Motor 350 (270HP) and matching Turbo Hydra-Matic Automatic Transmission.
Again cranks and runs. The car does need a lot of TLC but that was to be expected from a 1971 car that little has been done to it over the years. Never been in a wreck. The Frame has some surface rust but no rust outs ( That I was able to see without having it on a lift). Body is straight and complete. The Plate on the drivers door jam states the car has Sattle Vinyl interior (which it does) and the Original exterior color is Ontario Orange ( which the car, as you can see, has been painted white). The car has Power Windows and Power steering. Comes with two sets of tops the colored ones as seen and smoked. Plus the car will come with the original Rims that are not pictured. Everything appears to be working except AC...
I think I hit most everything...
So how much did I pay? 9k.
A. Great Buy
B. Good Buy
C. Fair buy
D. Should have kept looking
It is ok to be honest, i am not sensitive... LOL

It is hard to understand the gray areas of the value according to Hagerty's website but I believe this was a good deal for me. ​​​​​​Given the fair value was 11,600. I am not sure how much subjective value there is, meaning to a Corvette C3 lover/enthusiast what is the true value?
Anyway shot my a reply. Thanks again for reading.
Was it worth 9K ? Only if you believe it is. I paid more for a 70' but I'm extremely happy I bought and stripped it down to rebuild it as I see fit. Your choice looks like a winner to me. Take a ton of pictures of every square inch of it and share those with us as you rebuild it.
Look forward to seeing what the end result of your 71' Corvette will be.
Enjoy the journey there is much to learn.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:30 PM
bobbarry
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

The seats and door-panels are from a deluxe interior, but the carpet seems to be the loop pile from the standard interior.

That's a good price, if it's functional and the birdcage is solid. But get it up on a lift and have a good look at the frame, especially in front of the rear wheels. That car looks very "moist", so you'll want to arrest any rust-damage in its tracks.

BTW, I have the same year, with an original Saddle Deluxe interior. I love mine:

Old 12-18-2018, 12:50 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Congrats! Lots of sweat equity lies ahead, but it's all fun! In terms of value, you could have paid more or less, but you're right in the ballpark. As others have said, the bird cage and frame are the keys to success with these. If it's all solid, you're sitting pretty! Good luck, and let us know what you find out!
Old 12-18-2018, 06:44 PM
Stev-o
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

If no majors issues with rust or motor, you did good. I'd get it running perfect first then restore that interior - it really needs it.

In the meantime - clean clean clean it!
Old 12-18-2018, 07:09 PM
The Phantom
Drifting

Received 585 Likes on 385 Posts

It can't be said enough as said above TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES and good quality from as many angles as possible! It seems a simple thing but it will serve you well when putting it back together, your AIM is a great resource as is this forum but sometimes a picture truly is worth 1000 words. Have fun with it, and when it frustrates you, turn the lights out and go have a coffee. Keep an eye on the dollars, you will spend more than you may want to, but make it the car you want and you will be happy.

Dave
Old 12-18-2018, 11:48 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

I think any running driving early C3 south of $10K is a decent deal. That is a very nice car, and with the tilt and telescopic steering it looks like a full load to me. The O. Orange on Saddle is a really great looking combination. Congrats on scoring a nice one and good luck on the resto.
Greg

Last edited by Greg; 12-18-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:48 AM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 432 Likes on 259 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Welcome to the C3 Club / looks like you got your hands full for a bit & pray no rust with solid bird cage to start, keep us posted with info & pics as you go / CONGRATS !
Old 12-19-2018, 02:53 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Nice find. I'd say 9K is a good deal for a chrome bumper car that runs and drives. It does need work but it doesn't look that bad unless the birdcage is rotted out like others have mentioned.
And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE return it to Ontario Orange. One of my all time favorite colors.

Get notified of new replies

To New to the C3 Family, tell me what you think....

Quick Reply: New to the C3 Family, tell me what you think....