Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

'69 Hood Fitment Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 06:31 AM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 155 Posts
Default '69 Hood Fitment Issue

After three long years, I think I've finally got my '69 ready to send to off to "paint prison". Panel fitment and gaps are all close enough, IMO, to let the professionals to take over but, there's one area that's potentially a major problem. The left front corner of the hood sits ~5/32" above the surround with no way, that I can see, to lower it as there aren't any shims to to be removed from under the hinge. Is the only solution to make up the difference with filler? ...Or?

Old 12-17-2018, 02:12 PM
JBL Specialty
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You might try putting a shim under the hinge on the rear bolt. JBL
Old 12-17-2018, 02:39 PM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JBL Specialty
You might try putting a shim under the hinge on the rear bolt. JBL
Yes thanks JBL.
I tried that and was able to cut the gap by ~half and that put the level of the hood below the fender at around midway between the front of the and the rear of the hood. I guess I'll have to find the best compromise.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You are aware you can possibly raise this corner up and do away with the shim that tilted down the hinge......so you do not compromise the rest of how well the hood is flush with the rest of the top hood surround panel.

Are you not wanting to do any body work on this car???

All I am saying is that this can be fixed and no one would ever know it has been corrected by filling it. Reason being..I do it A LOT and no one can tell but yet ALL of the panels are flush.

Just saying...you do not have to live with it beign not to your expectations......

DUB
Old 12-18-2018, 09:54 AM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
Are you not wanting to do any body work on this car???
No, not at all.

Originally Posted by DUB
All I am saying is that this can be fixed and no one would ever know it has been corrected by filling it.
Agreed. I was trying to minimize the thickness of the filler needed. What would you say is the maximum allowable thickness for VPA filler on this part of the body?

Originally Posted by DUB
Just saying...you do not have to live with it beign not to your expectations......
Advise taken. Thanks DUB.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:59 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I know for a fact that the area you are specifically asking about can be filled in with VPA and NOT have a problem at all

I have had areas where the VPA got as thick as 3/4" and still NO PROBELMS...but I also know where it going that thick will not cause for a problem. Proper surface prep, mixing and applying the VPA is important.

I DO AGREE that trying to minimize the thickness of any filler is a good thing. But sometimes it may not be possible so filling it may be needed.

Some people feel that applying a few layers of fiberglass mat and resin to build up that area...then grind it down a bit and then apply a filler is their way of doing things. Which is also another viable option. But I choose to not do that even though I am very good at laminating...it is not making it any better and actually can come back and haunt you IF the mat and resin that has set up is not applied correctly and cured out more with heat..

The one benefit I know I have than many of you doing this for the fist time is that I have been using VPA for over 3 decades and I KNOW what it can do and not do.

So...if you car were in my shop and I was faced with this issue ( like I have been before many times ) ....if I could not heat up that area and raise it up and shim up the headlight support beam to raise the top hood surround where the gussets are located on the front side of each inner skirt. I would stop and fill it .

DUB
The following users liked this post:
CrossedUp (12-19-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To '69 Hood Fitment Issue

Quick Reply: '69 Hood Fitment Issue