C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing rear o2 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 08:51 AM
dforesi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing rear o2 sensors?

Hello all,

New to the forums, I recently purchased a 2008 C6 Z51 as a winter project. So far the build plan is as follows:

Catless ARH headers
ECS1500 kit
ID1000s w/BAP
Flex Fuel conversion

I am currently wrapping up the installation of the headers and was having some difficulty removing the rear right o2 sensor. When I finally removed the sensor it was apparent that it had been cross threaded from the factory. My first response was to order a replacement, but then it occurred to me that in a cat less setup these sensors likely do not serve a purpose.

I understand that the rear sensors are being used to measure catalyst efficiency. My understanding is that common practice is to turn off the DTCs which relate to catalyst health and rear o2 sensor reporting. That being said, turning off these DTCs does not turn off the calculation that is occurring in the background. Is it safe to simply purchase a pipe plug and block off this o2 sensor instead of ordering a new one? Or am I going to throw off something else in the strategy that I am not aware of?

Thank you!
Old 12-17-2018, 10:18 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Remove the left and right rear O2 sensors and install plugs.

Your tuner can make a change in the programming so you won't get a check engine light for this ... No effect on fueling or performance.

This pertains to anyone that has installed aftermarket headers .... with or without cats in the x-pipe.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:58 AM
dforesi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured that was the case. I will be doing the tuning work myself but I have not worked with the GM gen 4 engines before. I just wanted to ensure the system would not go into any type of power train protection logic with the sensors gone. I know this is unlikely, but easier not to put myself in that position in the first place.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Removing rear o2 sensors?

Quick Reply: Removing rear o2 sensors?