C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clock and GPD problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 12:26 AM
Bluebiyou
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default clock and GPD problem

i just bought a 2006 corvette with navigation, found it had 2 recalls, one for fuse box under hood and the other for the tescoping steering column. so took it to chevy dealer and when they finishe the clock in the top left corner doesnt work nor will it let you set it, all clock related buttons or spaces are blank, and I checked navigation and it had a red line thru the GPS icon on nav screen. Dealeer saaid they did not cause this, I said it was all working when I got here. Car only has 13,862 miles. Ive had three corvettes with this sytem and those recalls when I lived in a different city with no issues. Any ideas? A friend told me the nav anntenna may have got knocked loose. Not sure how to access it, but he did tell me the chevy dealer here is awful. Excuse my spelling, auto spell put GPD in heading instaed of GPS.

Last edited by Bluebiyou; 12-18-2018 at 12:28 AM. Reason: mispeeled
Old 12-18-2018, 10:08 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts
Default A

Dispute charge on CC or canx your check, then look for someone competent with Corvettes
Old 12-18-2018, 10:18 AM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

Have you let the car sit outside with a good view of the sky (no tall buildings, trees, etc. n the way) for a while? If the nav has completely lost track of the GPS sats (which can happen if they disconnected the battery for a while during the work), it can take a while (~30 minutes) for it to rebuild its data tables. Then it should display GPS time on the clock. There is no reason either of those recalls should have touched the GPS antenna or its connectors, but ...

Last edited by 07MontyRed; 12-18-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:51 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

For a DIY, if truly not damaged in the repair, which I too don't think was the cause, do what 07Monty suggests.

a) Disconnect battery for a few minutes.
b) Reinstall battery, place car outside in open area.
c) Don't forget the Nav will need some reprograming/ re-setup, such as the region, color, 3D etc. and for the car a window re-indexing.

I am not sure where the GPS antenna is located.
Good luck.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:10 AM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

GPS Antenna Location
Old 12-18-2018, 12:11 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

If your car was still working correctly why in hell would you let them touch it. Only AFTER the part fails do you let them do the recall. There is that headlight recall on the C6 that your low beam could go out due to the wire in the fuse block flexing. Every time I bought my car in for service they tried to do this recall only for me to tell them don't touch it. Once they even told me because it's a safety recall, by law they have to fix it or not to give me the car back until it is done. I told them my lawyer will be in touch very shortly. Got the car back within a hour and NO recall done.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:02 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
For a DIY, if truly not damaged in the repair, which I too don't think was the cause, do what 07Monty suggests.

a) Disconnect battery for a few minutes.
b) Reinstall battery, place car outside in open area.
c) Don't forget the Nav will need some reprograming/ re-setup, such as the region, color, 3D etc. and for the car a window re-indexing.

I am not sure where the GPS antenna is located.
Good luck.
....might try reinserting the nav disk also

Clif
Old 12-18-2018, 01:08 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Unless it's warranty work, a dealer is not your friend. They exist to make money, just like any other business. Some are ethical and others will even screw you on the warranty work they do. Shop for repairs and maintenance the same way the wife shops for clothes and groceries.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:36 PM
Bluebiyou
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
If your car was still working correctly why in hell would you let them touch it. Only AFTER the part fails do you let them do the recall. There is that headlight recall on the C6 that your low beam could go out due to the wire in the fuse block flexing. Every time I bought my car in for service they tried to do this recall only for me to tell them don't touch it. Once they even told me because it's a safety recall, by law they have to fix it or not to give me the car back until it is done. I told them my lawyer will be in touch very shortly. Got the car back within a hour and NO recall done.
I was getting the service active handling and now it doesn’t. I did take it to the one if best corvette mechanics in West Tennessee and did everything he could including reprogramming and got gps up and running but said it was nothing dealer could do on the recalls to have this issue. He said he thinks it is in the radio head because clock still is off, but gps is good. I’ll try and find one or get a 2bon radio CD player instead. The nav on a vette is awful. I’ve had 3 with nav and they work fine but not like the one in my grand Cherokee. I just don’t like the dvd based system. And I just bought the latest and last map update Chevy will put out for c6.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:37 PM
Bluebiyou
Intermediate

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
Dispute charge on CC or canx your check, then look for someone competent with Corvettes
never been any charges.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:36 AM
Fireblade
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Just got the same problem on my 2010. It was in the shop for a while for a few non-electrical things. It was indoors there for a while with (I think) the battery disconnected. When I got it back, the clock is blank, and doesn't allow itself to be set. I thought it might fix itself after a while but it's been several days now and no change. GPS is working fine, as far as I can tell...after starting the car, if you go to the nav screen, it says "GPS" with a slash through it, but that only lasts about a minute or less then it goes away and stays away.

Already tried disconnecting the battery for a while, parking in an open area, etc.

Found a few old threads about this "no clock" problem, but it seems that not a single solution or real cause has ever been posted. Weird that our nav units would just "go bad" while they happened to be in the shop. Your battery was definitely disconnected for that low beam headlight recall. Could it be that once the nav units get GPS time once successfully, the clock gets "enabled", and they can keep track of time internally indefinitely? So if the GPS time acquiring circuitry "went bad" somehow, you wouldn't know until the next time you disconnected the battery?

Last edited by Fireblade; 12-23-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:16 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 777 Likes on 438 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

We have a thread going in the tech section about this problem. It is happening to more and more people that have their batteries disconnected and re-connected. Something is happening with the GPS that our GM radios connect to to grab the clock.
Follow us in the tech section if you would like. The more posters we have, the better chance we have going to GM with the problem.
I think it's going to be more and more widespread as more and more people disconnect their batteries and reconnect them for something or another.
The following users liked this post:
tshirtmeister (01-01-2019)
Old 12-25-2018, 04:03 AM
Fireblade
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Here's the link to that thread for anyone seeing this in the future:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-working.html
Old 12-28-2018, 04:51 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 777 Likes on 438 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

The clock issue is now a Sticky in the tech section. Post your experiences and possible fixes there please.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:49 PM
pmikeman
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clock issue

Did you ever fix this issue? I had a cam upgrade done and when I got my car back everything was normal except the little clock in the upper right hand corner. Same issues as you describe below.

Originally Posted by Bluebiyou
i just bought a 2006 corvette with navigation, found it had 2 recalls, one for fuse box under hood and the other for the tescoping steering column. so took it to chevy dealer and when they finishe the clock in the top left corner doesnt work nor will it let you set it, all clock related buttons or spaces are blank, and I checked navigation and it had a red line thru the GPS icon on nav screen. Dealeer saaid they did not cause this, I said it was all working when I got here. Car only has 13,862 miles. Ive had three corvettes with this sytem and those recalls when I lived in a different city with no issues. Any ideas? A friend told me the nav anntenna may have got knocked loose. Not sure how to access it, but he did tell me the chevy dealer here is awful. Excuse my spelling, auto spell put GPD in heading instaed of GPS.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:43 PM
QueadlunnRau
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add me to the list with this issue, recently replaced my 12yr old AC Delco with a new one from the Dealership, had them install it as it was a $24.99 charge only for the convenience of not having to drive all the way home for my tools, replace the battery and drive all the way back for the $15 refund on the battery core.

The dealership was pretty cool about it, they didn't know why the clock didn't come back and thought it would after driving it some distance, which I know why it hasn't after finding this thread.

I will say this about my dealership, I had a battery tender cable on mine where I just wrapped the wire around the battery nuts, and the dealership actually crimped on new connectors to use instead which made me pretty happy.

Not happy my "nice" car cannot tell time, however not the dealerships fault from what I'm reading so I'm resorting to head to wallymart, buying an analog alarm clock and will duct tape it to the dash.

Get notified of new replies

To clock and GPD problem

Quick Reply: clock and GPD problem