Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Right blinker does not blink 1989

Old 12-18-2018, 12:27 AM
auburn2
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Right blinker does not blink 1989

When I go to use the right blinker it does not blink. The green arrow turns on and stays on. All the blinkers and the right cornering light also come on. Left blinker and hazards work fine. I was hoping it was a flasher, but looking at the schematic it is the same flasher used for all three.

I switched the front bulbs (cornering, marker and amber) and no change. The left blinker still worked with the bulbs that were originally in the right and the right was solid.

I have not changed the rear bulbs yet.

One other thing to note, with the headlights or parking lights on the right amber light is much brighter than the left. that makes me think there is a short between the running light and the blinker and both filaments are lighting (and therefore not turing off) when the blinker is on.

Any help would be appreciated

Old 12-18-2018, 01:34 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

As a side note, the turn signal flasher is different from the hazards flasher.
Either requires sufficient current to turn Off in the flash cycle.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:35 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Z01
As a side note, the turn signal flasher is different from the hazards flasher.
Either requires sufficient current to turn Off in the flash cycle.
I'm not at all sure that is true of the emergency flasher (only).

For what it's worth, I discovered (on my 1990) while installing LED replacement bulbs that apparently the emergency flasher isn't load dependent like the turn flasher IS.

The turn flasher is a different story. For the TURN flasher, an electronic flasher replacing the stock unit will flash the turn signals with or without bulbs; LED or stock, doesn't matter. I left the stock EMERGENCY flasher in place.

HOWEVER, in searching part numbers for the two flashers, at least ONE vendor listed the same part # for both the turn signal and the emergency flasher.

I disregarded the emergency flasher part # they listed, because obviously they were NOT the same part. And, when I thought about it, it made sense that the emergency blinker would not be load sensitive, considering one or more turn signal might be damaged in a crash. But, (I would) still want the remaining bulbs to work in an emergency situation, yes?

Last edited by Paul Workman; 12-18-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:59 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Have you checked your blinker fluid? Sometimes, especially in the colder months, it'll evaporate, rendering one, or both signals inoperable.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:23 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

The ground tab in my socket corroded off causing the same/similar problem. Take a wire to a ground and touch the edge of the bulb with it in the socket. If it starts working you have a grounding issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Right blinker does not blink 1989

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Right blinker does not blink 1989