C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake caliper piston tool

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 10:54 AM
GoatHead
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Brake caliper piston tool

I switch brake pads before and after every track events. I have been using my fingers and a clamp to compress the piston. My street pads are still very thick, so I didn't have to push the piston too much. However, last time I almost snapped a finger joint. I am looking for a compression tool to make this process easier and faster. I couldn't find any tool for 3 pistons.

What too do you use? and recommendations?
Old 12-18-2018, 12:43 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

This is the only one I found that actually works. It claims to handle the 6 piston Brembos but I would double check the measurements. I know it works on the 4 piston units for sure. It is a HEAVY duty tool.

https://californiatoolsandequipment....=7213037649964

I didn't buy it from the link above, that is just the first site I found that has the correct tool.

Last edited by JMII; 12-18-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:47 PM
GoatHead
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

^^ Thanks.

I was looking at this, and I wasn't sure whether the blade fit between the rotor and the pistons. I want to be able to push back the piston without removing the caliper.

It doesn't look it is wide enough for the 6 pistons. Is it safe to push on piston at a time?
Old 12-18-2018, 01:00 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by GoatHead
^^ Thanks.

I was looking at this, and I wasn't sure whether the blade fit between the rotor and the pistons. I want to be able to push back the piston without removing the caliper.

It doesn't look it is wide enough for the 6 pistons. Is it safe to push on piston at a time?
I sometimes use a plastic trim removal tool to prevent scratching the rotor. I have also used a household narrow blade (1 inch) spackle/plaster tool to retract the pistons to remove the brake pads. Never had a problem.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:28 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

When you push on one piston only it normally forces the others back out which is why you need a big, wide tool. Almost every other tool I found was too small for my oversized 4 piston brakes. I found this when I upgraded to bigger Akebono calipers on my Nissan 350Z track car. This tool works fine on my C7 Z51 4 piston brakes and my brothers Porsche Boxstes GTS brakes as well.

You need to push the pistons back enough to get the pads to slide out. I can sometimes get the tool in their with enough leverage on the mounting tabs (where the pins go thru) to move them that little bit. Once the pads are out this tool drops in between the rotor and caliper no problem (is about as thick as the backing plates on the pads) and few twists of the handle will press all the pistons back into the calipers with ease. It even has a hex end on so you can put a socket wrench on it. The chrome handle is removable, there is just has a small rubber o-ring that keeps in place. The nut on the opposite end someones gets a touch lose if your really putting some pressure on it, but that is only fault I've found with... well other then its a big heavy thing. The C7's wheel wells seem plenty big enough (given that 19" wheels fit) because on my Nissan the fronts were tight with the oversized brake setup I ran.

The following 2 users liked this post by JMII:
GoatHead (12-18-2018), Obe1 GS (12-19-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 06:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

^^ Thanks.

I use that tool all the time. Have used it since 2009. It works just fine and it will work with 4 pistons at a time. I usually depress 4 at the top and then slide down and do the bottom two while still pushing on the middle 2. Sometimes the pistons that weren't being pushed on will push out a little but most of the time they stay in place. Just watch what is happening instead of watching a TV while twisting the handle. Have never pushed a piston out while using the tool.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
GoatHead (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 07:43 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

On a steel rotor car you can just shove a screw driver or pry tool down in the caliper and use the pad to compress back against the pistons
Old 12-21-2018, 07:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by atljar
On a steel rotor car you can just shove a screw driver or pry tool down in the caliper and use the pad to compress back against the pistons
A lot of times that digs up the pads and may ruin them for reuse. When changing pads from street to track and back you don't want to ruin your pads by getting too aggressive with a screwdriver.

Bill
Old 12-24-2018, 02:17 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

This one looks neat.

Amazon Amazon

Bill?
Old 12-24-2018, 02:36 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by L82Brake
I have one of those and find it to be a PITA 99% of the time. You need to use old pads to spread the pistons with something like that.

The best caliper piston tool I own is from Girodisc, but is also ridiculously large and expensive.
The following users liked this post:
L82Brake (12-25-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 04:29 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Towel, pair of channel locks on the pad backing plate.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:33 AM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
I have one of those and find it to be a PITA 99% of the time. You need to use old pads to spread the pistons with something like that.

The best caliper piston tool I own is from Girodisc, but is also ridiculously large and expensive.
Ouch .. $225.

I think Ill stick to a microfiber towel and a small pry bar.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:46 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

find a set of worn out pads,,
then finish getting off any left over material,
then buy that tool and using the old stripped pads push out the pistons,then slide in the new/diff pads

Get notified of new replies

To Brake caliper piston tool

Quick Reply: Brake caliper piston tool