C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to find nearby GM dealers with online parts department?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 07:31 PM
atikovi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How to find nearby GM dealers with online parts department?

There quite a few I've found that sell parts 30% to 35% off MSRP such as https://www.gmpartsdirect.com or https://www.tascaparts.com but when you add shipping, the savings mostly disappear for large parts. The bumper cover I need with a $303 list price is under $200 at these places. Even with my discount at a local dealer, the best I can get it for is $235. How can I find a Chevy dealer that has online parts that is near me (Washington DC area)? For VW and Honda parts I found a dealer a half hour away. Now I need a Chevy dealer.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:36 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by atikovi
There quite a few I've found that sell parts 30% to 35% off MSRP such as https://www.gmpartsdirect.com or https://www.tascaparts.com but when you add shipping, the savings mostly disappear for large parts. The bumper cover I need with a $303 list price is under $200 at these places. Even with my discount at a local dealer, the best I can get it for is $235. How can I find a Chevy dealer that has online parts that is near me (Washington DC area)? For VW and Honda parts I found a dealer a half hour away. Now I need a Chevy dealer.
The online price of a part, before shipping, is artificially low since they make a profit on the shipping. In other words, they will not have any interest in selling you the part for the online price to be picked-up since they are losing out on the profit included in the shipping amount. Kind of like a $250 MSRP part being discounted to $100 but the shipping fee is $125 over the actual cost to ship. Good try but it will not happen.

Last edited by Bob Paris; 12-18-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:06 PM
atikovi
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
The online price of a part, before shipping, is artificially low since they make a profit on the shipping. In other words, they will not have any interest in selling you the part for the online price to be picked-up since they are losing out on the profit included in the shipping amount. Kind of like a $250 MSRP part being discounted to $100 but the shipping fee is $125 over the actual cost to ship. Good try but it will not happen.
You are wrong on that. I have bought VW parts from https://www.pohankavwparts.com/?gcli...xoC5QAQAvD_BwE and picked them up in person. Such as this transmission part https://www.pohankavwparts.com/oem-p...-0cg325025bz08 for $745 that my regular VW dealers wanted over $900 for. Have to drive 25 minutes extra each way to pickup, but on more expensive parts, worth it.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:07 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Bob P is going to be correct on that quite often, though. Many places have online special pricing. Have you tried rockauto.com? They don't have every GM part, but I have been surprised at how much they do have, and, their shipping is not outrageous.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:23 PM
atikovi
Racer

Well, that's not my experience at that VW dealer I linked to. Need a bumper cover so shipping IS outrageous.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:26 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Well, since you needed to restate your original statement, and CAPITALIZE that shipping is outrageous, good luck.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:19 AM
atikovi
Racer

I don't understand your comment. I assumed that stating I'm looking for local dealers implied I wanted to pick up the parts, not have them shipped.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:47 AM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

I don't understand your comment. I assumed that stating I'm looking for local dealers implied I wanted to pick up the parts, not have them shipped.
I can't help you.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 12-19-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:50 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Most of them don't have the parts in stock anyway, they're drop shipped from a warehouse. So even if they have a local dealer has an online presence they likely don't have the part physically there.

edit - the chance of finding a local dealer with an expensive part like a front bumper hanging around in stock is probably low.

Last edited by Sox-Fan; 12-19-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:01 AM
atikovi
Racer

My regular dealer doesn't have it in stock either but can get it in a few days from the regional warehouse. Not a problem. It took almost a month to get that VW part from Germany I linked to. Nobody in the country had it.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:01 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

235 seems pretty cheap for a bumper cover picked up...

somebody is paying shipping on that... shipping isnt really free, ever...

And shipping on a bumper cover is usually pretty high due to its high cube count, not because its weight.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:42 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,440 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by rjacobs
235 seems pretty cheap for a bumper cover picked up...

somebody is paying shipping on that... shipping isnt really free, ever...

And shipping on a bumper cover is usually pretty high due to its high cube count, not because its weight.
Agreed, that feels like a heck of a price for a bumper cover you can get in your hands.

Is this 230 picked up price cheaper than the price of it online plus shipping?

I get wanting to save money, but i think youve mis calculated the bottom dollar price here...
Old 12-19-2018, 04:46 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Sales tax if you buy it locally should also be a consideration.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:47 PM
atikovi
Racer

Probably should have mentioned it's not a Corvette bumper. $230 is from my regular local Chevy dealer picked up. The online sites have it for as low as $195 but the nearest one I found is 300 miles away. I have a resale cert. so sales tax not an issue.

Last edited by atikovi; 12-19-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:22 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,792 Likes on 4,231 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
This is not true. I order from www.chevynationparts.net which is a Chevy dealer about 25 minutes from me & pick up my parts all the time. In fact, that's is how I purchased the B92 carbon fiber hood for $2400 because they would only sell it at the discounted price if it was picked up. The price does not change if I select pick up.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:49 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Probably should have mentioned it's not a Corvette bumper. $230 is from my regular local Chevy dealer picked up. The online sites have it for as low as $195 but the nearest one I found is 300 miles away. I have a resale cert. so sales tax not an issue.
I don't know about you, but I won't drive 600 miles to save $35. I have 4 Chevy dealers within 40 miles that have online parts sites. None will honor that price for self pick up. One even charges a flat fee to pick up anything. The closest Chevy dealer is only 4 miles away and doesn't have an online site, but when asked if they'll match one of the other dealer's price, they either do or only add such a small amount that it's not worth my time to go someplace else. Although any GM dealer may have the same part in stock, they don't always have the same price.

The three basic tenets of all business are price, quality, and delivery. The customer only gets to choose two, so pick the two that benefit you the most.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:57 PM
atikovi
Racer

I wouldn't either which is why I asked if there is a way to find these dealers in my area through some directory I can't find or with some search terms I'm not using. I did see Criswell Chevrolet nearby but their web prices are not much lower than a regular dealer but I guess I could ask them if they will match prices. For anyone in northern NJ I found https://www.gmpartsxperts.com/ which has the lowest prices of anyplace I saw and they clearly offer free local pick up.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:56 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I wouldn't either which is why I asked if there is a way to find these dealers in my area through some directory I can't find or with some search terms I'm not using. I did see Criswell Chevrolet nearby but their web prices are not much lower than a regular dealer but I guess I could ask them if they will match prices. For anyone in northern NJ I found https://www.gmpartsxperts.com/ which has the lowest prices of anyplace I saw and they clearly offer free local pick up.
If your primary requirement is price, go to oemcats.com and plug in the part number. It'l return prices from all over the country with the locations. However, the individual locations may have changed their prices more recently that the search engine has been updated. Even so, the general order will remain close to the same. It looks to me that you'd be better off paying the $35 premium locally rather than getting a bulky part shipped and having possible shipping damage and that you'd have to deal with long distance.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:13 PM
atikovi
Racer

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
It looks to me that you'd be better off paying the $35 premium locally rather than getting a bulky part shipped and having possible shipping damage and that you'd have to deal with long distance.
I'm looking for a local dealer, so shipping isn't needed. That's the whole point of this thread. And it's not for one part. I spend $500 to $1000 a month on parts. That oem site only goes up to 2012 models, not very useful.

Get notified of new replies

To How to find nearby GM dealers with online parts department?

Quick Reply: How to find nearby GM dealers with online parts department?