Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2009 displaying many faults, dealer stumped

Old 12-18-2018, 07:47 PM
DaleInColorado
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2009 displaying many faults, dealer stumped

Hello,
My 2009 Z06 ( 39,000 miles) decided to display many faults the other day: Service ABS, Service Traction Control, Low Fuel ( just filled up 2 days prior ), Brake ( ebrake not on ), Check Engine, Fuel gauge went to empty, and then it wouldn't start. Called for tow, and 10 minutes later it started. I have read threads about cleaning the grounds and connectors in a C5. Dealer has car and can't figure out the problem. No codes were thrown. Their diagnostic computer having problems communicating with my car. That goodness for an extended warranty. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks

Old 12-18-2018, 08:05 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Bad cell in the battery maybe. Bad batteries always cause these sorts of gremlins. I would hope to God they've at least done a load test on your Battery.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:48 PM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

+1 for bad battery. Definitely the place to start.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:28 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

+2 bad batt.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:12 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

battery going bad on my dear departed c6z made for wonky behavior. If the car sat for any lengthy time with out a battery tender I would replace the battery first. Especially if battery is near 3 years old or more.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 12-19-2018 at 05:14 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,091 Likes on 575 Posts

I had an ECM **** the bed once and it required replacement. It exhibited similar symptoms.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:23 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Like the others have posted, start with the battery
Old 12-19-2018, 10:33 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

There' another possible source for this, assuming battery confirmed healthy.
How frequently do you have a rider?
The fuse box is under passenger footwell, under panel's fuses etc + 2-3 large blue connectors.
Passenger(s) exerting excess downward force, such as when going through a sharp turn or just heavy, instinctively press downward their weight.
Weight xfers through the flimsy panel pressing on these critical connectors resulting in some really weird behaviors, like yours.
Owners either had to pay the devil or get really lucky identifying this while troubleshooting like issues.
It's rare but has been reported at least 2-3 times over C6 run.

Once confirmed installing some kind of shim between panel's rear & blue connectors supporting/deflecting weight seemed to do the trick.
One member used a couple Pink Pearl erasers as shims, worked fine.

Not hard to check, open panel, bright blue connectors are right there in plain view.
Worth the time checking those connectors making certain they're firmly seated -- if only to rule 'em out.
FWIW members also put a tab of dielectric grease on plug pins before reconnecting plugs.
The following users liked this post:
JDebler (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 12:01 PM
Jeff4air
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2011 exhibited most but not all of those codes. Turned out to be EBCM after replacing battery twice.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:20 AM
DaleInColorado
Heel & Toe

Default Z06 2009 displaying many faults, dealer stumped

Thanks to everyone for suggestions to fix problem. Battery good. Everything grounded good. Dealer still stumped after 3 days. Probably not working on it 8 hours a day. I love it when I pass on your suggestions to a supposedly corvette expert. I will post the final results when they are known. Any more ideas are appreciated.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:23 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Totally Agree This Should Be Checked

Originally Posted by Landru
There' another possible source for this, assuming battery confirmed healthy.
How frequently do you have a rider?
The fuse box is under passenger footwell, under panel's fuses etc + 2-3 large blue connectors.
Passenger(s) exerting excess downward force, such as when going through a sharp turn or just heavy, instinctively press downward their weight.
Weight xfers through the flimsy panel pressing on these critical connectors resulting in some really weird behaviors, like yours.
Owners either had to pay the devil or get really lucky identifying this while troubleshooting like issues.
It's rare but has been reported at least 2-3 times over C6 run.

Once confirmed installing some kind of shim between panel's rear & blue connectors supporting/deflecting weight seemed to do the trick.
One member used a couple Pink Pearl erasers as shims, worked fine.

Not hard to check, open panel, bright blue connectors are right there in plain view.
Worth the time checking those connectors making certain they're firmly seated -- if only to rule 'em out.
FWIW members also put a tab of dielectric grease on plug pins before reconnecting plugs.
My recently departed friend had this issue with his '10 Grand Sport. Concluding this as the culprit was not a fluke as it reoccured at least 3 different times & we finally just started wiggling the harnesses in the BCM.when the car died. His BCM had been replaced for other issues prior to listed problems (don't know if there was a connection btwn replacement & loose connectors)
Landru (12-20-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 11:00 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

As everyone else has said or referred to, the battery is the culprit most of the time. Ask, beg, plead for them to try another new battery. The errors have nothing to do with each other which leads us and past posts to the battery... Even if it load tested ok
Old 12-21-2018, 11:03 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Have/did you wash the engine bay? Water in those supposed waterproof connectors will cause lots of weirdness.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:47 PM
Billy Smart
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know that it’s not the same car, but my son’s 2010 camaro w/6l80 did the same thing after sitting for 2 months while engine was rebuilt. Finally found the big round connector in the back of the trans was slightly pulled out when moving engine harness out of the way to pull engine from top. Nothing on the car would communicate and fuel gauge was reading empty like you stated. Must have a termination resistor in trans control unit that allows all modules to communicate. Maybe your car has a similar connector somewhere that disrupts the can. Obviously not an auto or camaro.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:01 PM
DaleInColorado
Heel & Toe

Default Final Update on multiple faults in my 09 Z06

Got my 09 Z06 ( 40,000 miles) back today. Short story - can't find cause of multiple errors. The tech, 30 years of Corvette experience, sat down with me and showed me every circuit he could test/touch. For the first few days, the errors would go away and come back several hours later. A couple of the "CM" s would not talk with each other. High speed Lan dropping out intermittently. Finally the errors did not come back after 5 days. He guessed that his touching made connections work again but can't name which one. All is well. I did have them install a new battery per your suggestions. But that was after all the errors went away. Very happy with Henry Brown Chevrolet here in Casa Grande AZ, especially when they charged me for only the battery after 8 working days. Thanks to all who provided input.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:20 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the update, great story with the dealership.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:47 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Had the same thing happened to my wife's 2008 ctsv. Chased down the issue for years as the car is seasonal here in the winter time. Seamed always to be temperature related and we ended up keeping scan tool hooked up when we traveled together somewhere of distance. The high speed serial data line would drop out intermediately and I finally chased it down to the EBCM. I know it seems strange that it would effect this much stuff but trust me it will!

Last edited by ramairws6; 12-30-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2009 displaying many faults, dealer stumped

Old 12-31-2018, 12:31 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

My issue was also the EBCM, very fortunate the dealer had a mechanic who was familiar with the issue.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:32 PM
DaleInColorado
Heel & Toe

Default Another Update, Spastic gauges back on 2009 Z06

Well sports fans, previous gauge problem that went away after 9 days at the Dealership ,is back after 25 days. They wiggled and jiggled connections and problem went away. Out for a drive down here in Casa Grande Az on Jan 12, 2019, the gauges went spastic again on I-10. Wouldn't start after eating breakfast. Brand new battery. Open driver's door and closed a couple of times and she started. What a fix !! Back to dealer today. And of course the gauges are all functioning perfectly. So dealer has to monitor over night and try to recreate the problem. BCM functioning "normal". It was replaced back at 8000 miles via a service bulletin . Now have 40k. Bad BCM? time will tell. Loose wire in driver's door? Who knows. Maybe, Maybe not. Can't trust car now. Especially since it won't start after being turned off. I would be happy with opening and closing door if that solved my short term problem. Will there ever be an actual FINAL update? Stay tuned! Sorry for the pun.
Landru (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:48 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DaleInColorado
Well sports fans, previous gauge problem that went away after 9 days at the Dealership ,is back after 25 days. They wiggled and jiggled connections and problem went away. Out for a drive down here in Casa Grande Az on Jan 12, 2019, the gauges went spastic again on I-10. Wouldn't start after eating breakfast. Brand new battery. Open driver's door and closed a couple of times and she started. What a fix !! Back to dealer today. And of course the gauges are all functioning perfectly. So dealer has to monitor over night and try to recreate the problem. BCM functioning "normal". It was replaced back at 8000 miles via a service bulletin . Now have 40k. Bad BCM? time will tell. Loose wire in driver's door? Who knows. Maybe, Maybe not. Can't trust car now. Especially since it won't start after being turned off. I would be happy with opening and closing door if that solved my short term problem. Will there ever be an actual FINAL update? Stay tuned! Sorry for the pun.
I' be willing to bet if you unhooked the battery for a minute after a no start and hook it back up it will fire right up! Like I said......EBCM

Last edited by ramairws6; 01-15-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] 2009 displaying many faults, dealer stumped