Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use portable 2 post car lifts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 08:34 AM
transamlarry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone use portable 2 post car lifts?

Looking to buy a portable 2 post car lift, I see a couple options, however I prefer something made in America, anyone find a good one?
Old 01-05-2019, 11:09 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

I believe Rotary Lift, in Madison, IN are made in the US since they meet the ISO 9001 certification. They have several around the US
Old 01-05-2019, 11:19 PM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I just finished shopping for a two post lift for my home shop. I ended up with the Dannmar M6 portable lift. I wasn't so concerned about portability but finding a lift that would work with low ceiling height was a main factor. The M6 is a hydraulic two post lift that will will go up 45". which is about the capacity of my garage here in SoCal. The posts are anchored to the concrete with 5 threaded anchors. The power unit is on wheels and the two hoses use quick connect dry break couplings. To move the lift, you unscrew the bolts (5 per post) and the posts can be tilted back on their wheels and moved. I do every possible service on my cars and that includes engine and trans work so a scissors lift or drive on lift was not an option for me. A full size lift would not work in my garage unfortunately.

With the exception of having to use a creeper or a roller seat, the lift is as versatile as a full height two post lift. The Dannmar is made in China but is AIL certified and comes with a 3 year warranty. SInce I do not plan to move it, I ended up mounting the power unit on the wall and ran the hydraulic hoses overhead since I have no plans to move the lift until I move.

Last edited by SocalC5Z; 01-06-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:42 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I bet most post lifts aren't very portable due to anchoring.
I use a quickjack. It has made my life easier many times. It lifts to about 20" which is enough for anything I want to do at home. It is completely portable.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:05 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by C5inWV
I bet most post lifts aren't very portable due to anchoring.
I use a quickjack. It has made my life easier many times. It lifts to about 20" which is enough for anything I want to do at home. It is completely portable.
I second that. I just cut 4 pieces of 1 1/2 inch rectangle steel to shim up to the URO jacking pucks. I haven't finished the project but I think this will be a great combination to raise the ZR1 with my quick jack.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:47 PM
SocalC5Z
Racer

It was hard for me to justify $1100 for a Quickjack which really only allows wheels and brake type service with a max lift of 20", when a true two post lift with unobstructed undercar access and a 45" lift height was only $900 more from Dannmar. I've used both and for me, the Quickjack is just too limited. The arms on the M6 are only 3.5" and low enough that it doesn't even require the typical drive on boards for my C5 or R8. The main drawback to the M6 is it absolutely needs to be anchored while I don't think the QJ does.. A significant difference but worth it to me.

Last edited by SocalC5Z; 01-11-2019 at 06:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SocalC5Z:
Art17 (01-22-2019), Hardrvin (01-13-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 12:30 AM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

2 post lifts are inherently not portable.

4 post lifts are.

My 4 post lift allows me to move the lift while a car is on it.

Enough said.
The following users liked this post:
Art17 (01-22-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 12:05 PM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Originally Posted by D K
2 post lifts are inherently not portable.

4 post lifts are.

My 4 post lift allows me to move the lift while a car is on it.

Enough said.
Will your 4 post lift fit in the back of a pickup truck or van like my two post lift or a Quickjack? How about vehicle suspension work or removing an engine or trans? How does that work out on your 4 poster? Don't see many 4 post lifts in dealerships because they are inherently designed for storing cars or as alignment racks.

Last edited by SocalC5Z; 01-12-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

My MaxJax lift posts are sitting in the corner of my garage where they are out of the way until I need to use the lift again. The lift anchors are sockets Vs studs so don't cause any issues when the posts are stored in the corner. The garage floor is completely usable. If you decide to leave the lift in place it can also be used to stack cars. My ex-neighbor used to have a Lexus sedan he would park on the lift and then park his Miata under it. The M6 is identical to the MaxJax other than it has more safety bar holes to provide more lift positions than the MaxJax provides with its two positions.

Bill
Old 01-14-2019, 07:54 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by DunlevysZ
Will your 4 post lift fit in the back of a pickup truck or van like my two post lift or a Quickjack? How about vehicle suspension work or removing an engine or trans? How does that work out on your 4 poster? Don't see many 4 post lifts in dealerships because they are inherently designed for storing cars or as alignment racks.
I actually used to prefer the 4 post and definitely did suspension and brake work. A 4post combined with tall lift jack stands is pretty quick and convenient. Easy to get the car in the air really quick and get working. I really debated getting another 4 post, after getting rid of my 4 and my 2 I had. I like the 2 posts for sure, but many big 2 posts require more slab thickness than many places tend to have, in order to truly be safe. 4 posts don't even need anchored at all.

In the end, I bought neither and just went a whole new route....no obstructions, doesn't need deep anchors, unobtrusive to anything that needs worked on 95% of the time, etc....BUT...a HEAVY pair of slabs to move. There is no "perfect" answer to the lift problem.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:50 AM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DunlevysZ
no to being able to put it in the back of a van, but I'd like to see you put a 2 post lift there...

I use a quickjack on top of my 4 post lift and I also have an adjustable jacking tray which gives numerous combinations of what you can do. I also use one of the runners as a crane if I have to.
Being able to move it while the car is on is such a huge plus, I don't think I can over emphasize that.

They each have their advantages, but 2 post lifts aren't as portable as you think.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
I actually used to prefer the 4 post and definitely did suspension and brake work. A 4post combined with tall lift jack stands is pretty quick and convenient. Easy to get the car in the air really quick and get working. I really debated getting another 4 post, after getting rid of my 4 and my 2 I had. I like the 2 posts for sure, but many big 2 posts require more slab thickness than many places tend to have, in order to truly be safe. 4 posts don't even need anchored at all.

In the end, I bought neither and just went a whole new route....no obstructions, doesn't need deep anchors, unobtrusive to anything that needs worked on 95% of the time, etc....BUT...a HEAVY pair of slabs to move. There is no "perfect" answer to the lift problem.

I have been thinking of selling my MaxJax and getting one of these. I like the idea that I can park the car over it and I don't need to take up garage space storing the posts. Also after a buddy had an issue with one of the posts of his two post lift pulling a section of concrete out of the floor and tipping over while his Vette was on the lift makes me think a large flat load bearing surface may be the best solution for in home lifts since it reduces the chance of damaging the concrete or having a defect in the concrete cause a failure that might suddenly destroy all of the fun.

Bill
Old 01-20-2019, 02:49 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

In honesty, aside from moving it, which frankly all are difficult, its unbeatable in terms of access and ease of getting the car in the air. They are pricey though, compared to the lower level propark 4post and atlas 2 posts. Very solid lift though, very glad I went this way.

The issue with the concrete depth for the 2 posts is always my concern. If you dont have a solid 4 inches and 30" distance from the nearest edge, youre asking for trouble/maybe dying under that lift. This lift aint goin anywhere and I pull in right over top of it like its barely there.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:45 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
What's the make and model that you went with? I don't recognize it.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2019, 11:03 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

The following users liked this post:
NSFW (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:35 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I understand you guys are into doing all things necessary to your vehicles. The quick jack does all I need for regular maintenance and light work. If I need access to a 2 post, I just let an automotive shop do the work. Besides, some of that heavier work (replacing tranny, clutch or engine) just ain't as much fun as it used to be.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:06 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

I installed the Danmar M6 right after Christmas and it's the bee's knees. It bolts into the floor with concrete anchors so it is indeed portable. The hydraulic pump rolls around with the posts and just plugs into the wall, so it's super easy. Don't know how I lived without a lift for so long!

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone use portable 2 post car lifts?

Old 01-22-2019, 09:39 AM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a great, in-depth video on the MaxJax:
Old 01-22-2019, 11:14 AM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
I installed the Danmar M6 right after Christmas and it's the bee's knees. It bolts into the floor with concrete anchors so it is indeed portable. The hydraulic pump rolls around with the posts and just plugs into the wall, so it's super easy. Don't know how I lived without a lift for so long!
I have the same lift as noted earlier in this tread.. Provided it is properly anchored to a floor that meets the required specification of 4" thick with a minimum compressive strength of 3000 psi, it's as safe as any other car lift. In fact, the M6 is ALI certified, unlike the MaxJax or any of the scissors type lifts I looked at.

To correct what was posted earlier regarding the differences between the M6 and the MaxJax, The M6 is equipped with automatically engaging lift safety locks at 7 positions, while the MaxJax requires the user slide locking pins into 1 of 2 positions on the posts. This is why the MaxJax is not ALI certified. The lifting arms were different as well when I made my purchase and were 3.5" where the MaxJax was 4", however I think they are the same now.

Here is a link to the comparison chart. file:///C:/Users/Steve/Start%20Menu/Saved%20Games/Desktop/Dannmar%20Web%20Chart%2012-13-2018_revised.pdf

Last edited by SocalC5Z; 01-22-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:16 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Problem I had, is I've rented 4k sq/ft+ commercial spaces that didn't have a 4" thick slab. In some sections of the country I think it's just common...but in the old Northeast...buildings that are built in the 40's or earlier...hard to find. Best thing you can do is cut out the squares, intertwine rebar and pour new foundations for the lift. For that reason I often had 4posts and now I have the scissor. Gotta REALLY watch your concrete is sound with a 2 post or you're lookin to die.

Quick Reply: Anyone use portable 2 post car lifts?