C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

and yet another service active handling / reduced power thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 02:57 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Default and yet another service active handling / reduced power thread

A month or so back, I got the dreaded "service active handling" message on the DIC on my '08. There was no "reduced power" message however. Trouble code icon also lit up. Other than that, it drove fine. Occasionally, the message and icon would not be there. I had planned to pull the wheels off to check wheel sensors but never go around to it. Yesterday when I fired it up, it ran extremely rough, barely staying started. Then "service active handling" message popped up on the DIC , then the "reduced power" message came up. I shut it off. Remembering reading here about the low voltage gremlins and their evil deeds, I pulled the battery cables off and cleaned the posts and cable ends good. They actually looked fine. There was not crapolla on them at all. I suppose they could have had a thin layer of oxidation which would hinder current. The positive side was also a little loose - loose in that there was no wiggle, but I was able to get it off the battery post without loosening the nut.

When I re-started it - IT RAN FINE ! No DIC message. I drove it a couple of miles (got over 40 mph to make sure the active handling message had a chance to pop up). I parked it in the driveway, killed it, and attempted to restart it. Nothing. the start button did nothing. After 4 or 5 tries, it fired up again and ran fine with no error messages. I drove down the street and noticed after about a minute, the dash lighting was completely out. Radio and AC worked though. Drove it back home, killed and restarted. Ran fine. No error messages, but no dash lights either. Drove it down the block, and the dash lights came back on. Pulled back in the driveway, killed and restarted it several times and all was normal. I drove it another 10 miles....everything was perfect. Restarted it today and everything is normal. The only mods I have are the !CAGS and the vitesse throttle controller. I've had the Vitesse for over 2 years with no issues.

Did I fix it (battery cables) and the dash lights was just a BCM resetting itself?

Please help if you know !!!

Last edited by need-for-speed; 01-06-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:13 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Holy cow! I guess mine is an isolated incident
Old 01-13-2019, 03:05 AM
Yos
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the handling massage it come to me too after i turn the steering a bit while i want to g out from parking i asked some people they said check the brake wiring and connection maybe it's lose i didn't the chance to check it till now

for the engine reduced power have you open the air filter and disconnect the throttle wire because mostly it came from the throttle check the connection and clean the throttle

hope its help

if you fix the handling system massage please give me how you did it if its from connection or sensor

regards,
Old 01-15-2019, 09:05 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by Yos
the handling massage it come to me too after i turn the steering a bit while i want to g out from parking i asked some people they said check the brake wiring and connection maybe it's lose i didn't the chance to check it till now

for the engine reduced power have you open the air filter and disconnect the throttle wire because mostly it came from the throttle check the connection and clean the throttle

hope its help

if you fix the handling system massage please give me how you did it if its from connection or sensor

regards,
What year is yours? I believe there was an issue with the earlier C6's where the wiring in the steering column got pinched when turning the steering wheel, causing that error message......there is a fix - rerouting the wires, I think.

So far, my luck is holding up. Since cleaning the battery cables and posts, I've performed about 15 engine starts. I also drove it 25 miles on Sunday (second drive) and all is well !!

Good luck to you.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:39 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Maybe a good idea to run a load test on the battery, most parts stores will gladly do it for free. Make sure that your starter solenoid is in good shape where the large positive cable attaches. Some could look real bad like this one, cable broke right off, but was probably loose for a while, creating on and off starting issues. Those vitesse throttle controllers have cause issues, reading some posts here, something to keep in mind.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:14 PM
I Fly Low
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

I had a reduced power message, prety sure I had the service active handling message as well. Turned out to be the vitesse controller. I tried repeatedly to recalibrate using the manufacturer instructions, and ended up disconnecting it. Problem went away immediately.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:32 PM
4LisaJean
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sah

Have a 2005 precision red coupe, auto, 56k miles. "service active handling" has been on for a few weeks. Only drive car about once a week. Charged battery overnight, added 30 psi to each tire, reprogrammed tpms for each tire, "sah" disappeared! Drove it about 15 miles, still ok. Don't know what to think...

Get notified of new replies

To and yet another service active handling / reduced power thread

Quick Reply: and yet another service active handling / reduced power thread