Sponsored by:

1-7/8" Speed Engineering Long Tube Header Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 08:31 AM
wscott62893
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 156 Posts
Default 1-7/8" Speed Engineering Long Tube Header Review

Completed installation of a new set of 1-7/8 Speed Engineering headers last night. To start off simply, I am absolutely thrilled with form/fit/function of these budget headers and am very pleased I didn't spend 4 times the cost for "big brand" headers. I could not rationalize the $1400+ for headers/X-pipe when I have plans for a full top end in the coming months. I'd rather save that money for top of the line heads/intake manifold. Sure, I may leave a couple HP/TQ on the table over the other more proven designs, but that isn't worth the extra cost when it comes to long tube headers, in my opinion. This review is to provide my opinion on the installation and initial impressions. I do not have any long term feedback to provide at this time. My review has no intention of upsetting the folks that did spend the money on the "big brand" headers (ARH, Kooks, LG, etc). To each their own. For what it's worth, if money was no object, I'd buy the 1-7/8 ARH headers with offroad X-pipe.

The pros:
  • Shipping time was very fast. I received my headers (California to Pennsylvania) in 5 business days even though my order was placed during the holiday shipping rush.
  • Very easy installation of the headers. I was simply able to feed them in from the bottom and did not need to remove the starter, alternator, or any other major components.
  • Header flanges were perfectly flat/thick and sealed great with GM multi-layer header gaskets
  • Polished finish looks excellent and provides a nice appearance for those that don't plan to get their headers ceramic coated. I am sure they will discolor a bit after some heat cycles.
  • All TIG welds are fantastic inside and out. Consistent bead and full seal at all joints.
  • The merge collectors do have spikes.
  • Excellent steering shaft clearance (about 1-1/2")
  • Great header primary alignment with spark plug wire boots. I have the 8.5mm MSD wires. Definitely won't be melting any boots!
  • No loss of ground clearance. Bottom of collectors are parallel with the floor boards after all torqued up.
  • Mid-pipe section has very well placed bung for a wide band sensor, which I am using with an AEM X-series wide band gauge.
  • Upstream O2 sensor placement is spot on. No issues with fitment of O2 sensors
  • Kit offers O2 extensions for an additional small cost ($40). I purchased them, but if someone is penny pinching, you really don't need them. I am OCD about wire routing so I used the extensions to be sure the O2 harnesses were run plenty far away from the headers.
  • X-pipe clearance down the tunnel is perfect. Runs perfectly centered with about 1-1/2" on either side and about 2" above to the tunnel plate.
  • Axle-back system (Corsa Xtreme) lines up great and has no issues due to poor alignment upstream. And boy oh boy does the Xtreme paired with this system sounds MEAN. Can't wait to get my H/C/I setup installed.
The cons:
  • The clamps and gaskets that come with the kit stink. I purchased GM multi-layer gaskets and SS band clamps from Summit. This added about $100 to the overall installation, but was well worth the added security.
  • System requires use of the rear flanged portion of your OEM H-pipe. If you're not afraid of doing some measuring, cutting, and extra alignment; this is no big deal. Use of the factory H-pipe is a must to utilize the exhaust hangers off the bottom of the transmission.
  • The X-pipe comes in 2 sections and includes reducers for the portion of the factory H-pipe needed to mate to the axle-back. As a result, the system uses a ton of clamps (8 total: six 3" clamps and two 2-1/2"). I am going to have the X-pipe/factory H-pipe sections welded up eventually to eliminate some clamps. If high quality band clamps are purchased, you'll be fine using all the clamps once the system is aligned and torqued properly. I do not have any leaks whatsoever with 8 clamps installed.
  • The system is not offered with cats (offload X-pipe only). This was what I was searching for so it wasn't a negative for me. But some folks prefer cats to reduce smell and to pass emissions testing. Seeing how simple the X-pipe is, it would be fairly easy to integrate aftermarket high flow cats if desired.
  • The system uses slip fit joints which aren't ideal for good sealing. But with good band clamps, it is no problem at all.
  • No accommodations for the AIR system. I had already removed said system so this was not a negative for me. Those seeking retention of the system for emissions will be disappointed to know that a system is not offered with the AIR flanges.
So that's where I stand. If I had to do it all over again, I absolutely would buy them again! Overall, I am very very pleased. This system may not be for everyone. If you want a system that requires zero extra tweaking for a high quality final form/fit/function, then you'll want to spend the extra $1000+ on the "big brands". There are other cheap header options out there as well (Hinson and TSP), but based on other forum member reviews or lack of, I decided to give Speed Engineering a shot. No hard feelings to the other vendors. I look forward to everyone's feedback and/or questions. Thanks for reading!

Side note: Since taking the below photos, I rotated the band clamps at the collectors up toward the inspection cover so they don't protrude past the bottom profile of the collector (for ground clearance). Additionally, yes, I know the dipstick is missing. I have a newer style dipstick/dipstick tube on order.

Last edited by wscott62893; 01-10-2019 at 10:33 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by wscott62893:
BAT (01-10-2019), Mr. Black (01-10-2019), pjdbm (01-10-2019), Robrote (01-10-2019), VFR RC46 (06-21-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 09:29 AM
pjdbm
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 228 Posts

Looks nice! glad to found a way to save a bit. What was the total bill?
Old 01-10-2019, 10:06 AM
wscott62893
Burning Brakes

I paid $425 shipped (including extra charge for O2 extensions) and 88$ worth of GM manifold gaskets/band clamps from Summit. Installed everything myself so total investment was approximately $500

Last edited by wscott62893; 01-10-2019 at 10:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Crepitus (03-21-2024)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:38 AM
pjdbm
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 228 Posts

That’s a home run!
ill be doing headers next Winter (project) and gathering information
Old 01-10-2019, 10:38 AM
RB67
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the review you cant beat the price that's for sure. My car is getting a new clutch and the same headers installed by a local shop. Its also getting a tune which should keep the fumes to a minimum . I should have it back this weekend and cant wait to hear it.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:56 AM
wscott62893
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RB67
Thanks for the review you cant beat the price that's for sure. My car is getting a new clutch and the same headers installed by a local shop. Its also getting a tune which should keep the fumes to a minimum . I should have it back this weekend and cant wait to hear it.
Nice! Best of luck with your build. I am sure you'll love the new exhaust note
Old 01-10-2019, 11:21 AM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Received 1,224 Likes on 537 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Nice! I almost went with this brand too (for cost), but I was able to score on a used set of ARH (headers, mid pipes, high flow cats and x pipe) for a fraction of the price of new (close to what this set sells for, plus new/better clamps). Anyway, looking at your pictures, I didn't see your dipstick? That's still one "question" I have for mine. I have a '99 so the dipstick and tube are mounted to the manifold. The '01-'04 mounts to the block. Can't tell what year you have, or where your dipstick/tube is..... did you have any issues with it?

Also glad to hear with the Extreme axle back, it's not too loud. I also have the Extreme's and was worried it might be too much.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:30 AM
wscott62893
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BAT
Nice! I almost went with this brand too (for cost), but I was able to score on a used set of ARH (headers, mid pipes, high flow cats and x pipe) for a fraction of the price of new (close to what this set sells for, plus new/better clamps). Anyway, looking at your pictures, I didn't see your dipstick? That's still one "question" I have for mine. I have a '99 so the dipstick and tube are mounted to the manifold. The '01-'04 mounts to the block. Can't tell what year you have, or where your dipstick/tube is..... did you have any issues with it?

Also glad to hear with the Extreme axle back, it's not too loud. I also have the Extreme's and was worried it might be too much.
I have a note in the original post about the dipstick because I knew someone was going to ask, but no biggie. My c5 is a 2000 and had the older manifold mounted dipstick. I ordered the newer style dipstick and tube from GM Parts Direct and am still waiting for the parts to arrivel. Part numbers are 12574889 and 12563817. Said newer style dipstick and tube will work fine with these headers as it will mount off of the manifold flange bolt versus the manifold itself. any 00 and earlier c5 will most likely require said newer dipstick style.

Regarding the loudness of the 1-7/8 headers/ 3" offroad-X/Corsa Xtreme, "loud" is subjective and I personally like a louder exhaust note. Some folks may disagree. Keep in mind that there is a big difference between loud and drone. I had B&B Bullets with stock H-pipe and manifolds before this setup and I couldn't stand it because of the drone. This setup is louder then that, but has little to no drone.

Last edited by wscott62893; 01-10-2019 at 11:32 AM.
BAT (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:37 AM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Received 1,224 Likes on 537 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by wscott62893
I have a note in the original post about the dipstick because I knew someone was going to ask, but no biggie. My c5 is a 2000 and had the older manifold mounted dipstick. I ordered the newer style dipstick and tube from GM Parts Direct and am still waiting for the parts to arrivel. Part numbers are 12574889 and 12563817. Said newer style dipstick and tube will work fine with these headers as it will mount off of the manifold flange bolt versus the manifold itself. any 00 and earlier c5 will most likely require said newer dipstick style.

Regarding the loudness of the 1-7/8 headers/ 3" offroad-X/Corsa Xtreme, "loud" is subjective and I personally like a louder exhaust note. Some folks may disagree. Keep in mind that there is a big difference between loud and drone. I had B&B Bullets with stock H-pipe and manifolds before this setup and I couldn't stand it because of the drone. This setup is louder then that, but has little to no drone.
I'll admit, I read *most* of the OP.... then saw there were pics and skipped ahead I have those part numbers written down, and priced them out too, but wanted to be sure before I ordered them. Thanks for the confirmation, sounds like I'll go ahead and order them too.

I 100% agree with the drone comment. I can't stand it either, which is why I was determined to go with Corsa. I originally had no intentions of adding headers, which is why I opted for the Extreme's. But, now that I'm here..... let the good times roll!
Old 01-10-2019, 11:39 AM
wscott62893
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BAT
I'll admit, I read *most* of the OP.... then saw there were pics and skipped ahead I have those part numbers written down, and priced them out too, but wanted to be sure before I ordered them. Thanks for the confirmation, sounds like I'll go ahead and order them too.

I 100% agree with the drone comment. I can't stand it either, which is why I was determined to go with Corsa. I originally had no intentions of adding headers, which is why I opted for the Extreme's. But, now that I'm here..... let the good times roll!
You'll love the final outcome I am sure. The folks driving behind you when you rip on it will probably disagree
Old 01-10-2019, 12:15 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

More of a mid length header than long tube, no?
Old 01-10-2019, 12:26 PM
wscott62893
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by grantv
More of a mid length header than long tube, no?
Based on the collector location (right behind/beneath the inspection cover) very similar to the location of ARH I would say they're still considered a long tube. Now when compared to LG Super Pro, then yes, I would say they're certainly a design with shorter primaries. But LG and ARH both market their product as long tube, so I'll stick with my guns and say these are the same.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:06 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

Could we see where you merge the new X pipe to old mid section in pictures?

How did you cut old pipes, sawzall, or one of those chain cutting tools, big cutting wheel?

Last edited by 1999corvettels1; 01-10-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:12 PM
wscott62893
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1999corvettels1
Could we see where you merge the new X pipe to old mid section in pictures?

How did you cut old pipes, sawzall, or one of those chain cutting tools, big cutting wheel?
Sure, I'll have to take some more pictures tonight when I get home. I'll have them posted tonight. I mocked everything up to the X-pipe and held it from sagging with a jack stand. Once in place, I measure the distance from the leading edge of the X-pipe to the hangers on the bottom of the transmission and marked/cut the H-pipe accordingly. I used a reciprocating saw then a 4" disk grinder to clean up the cut edge. Measure 3 times, cut once. The actual cutting/cleaning of the pipes took maybe 5 minutes.

Last edited by wscott62893; 01-10-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:22 PM
wscott62893
Burning Brakes

Old 01-10-2019, 06:40 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,292 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for a well thought out review. Sounds like a nice system at a good price.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:41 PM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

I had the same experience with the SE headers. Here is a Youtube vid I did with some idle sounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz5b...47143865274147
Old 06-16-2019, 03:14 AM
tigertim20
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

Thread HI-jack (Kind of.)

I just installed this system about a week ago, and Wscott provided some handy help / feedback for me in getting it installed, however I have gone a little further (pics to come)

This weekend I decided that a couple things I could not live with:
1. so many hideous clamps.
2. the way the reducers behind the X-pipe fit up with the rear section you have to salvage off the stock system is ****, its a bit sloppy / gaps
3. there is a bit of a smell, which I think is from the system having some very minor leaks (Cold air intake and axle back still not here yet, so once I fit those, and tune it, the smell may have gone away anyway, but I didnt want to risk having a leaky exhaust)
4. my exhaust tips didnt line up after fitting - this was because the fitment of the salvaged rear section and fitment into the reducers behind the x-pipe is sloppy, and the clamps don't really tighten up enough to solve the issue, meaning the exhaust can kind of twist at the rear.

So I started by going ahead and pulling it all off today, and I welded the reducers onto the X-pipe (good-bye to 2 clamps)

Then I decided the rear bits salvaged off the stock exhaust should get welded up too. So I disconnected the battery, fitted everything up without the clamps, used a straight edge and 2 woodworking clamps to lock the rear exhaust tips into place, and climbed under the car with my Tig and managed to contort myself enough that I could get some tacks on, and marked where everything should sit.

I need to go and get some 309 stainless rods tomorrow before I can weld the last of it up, as I need that for welding dis-similar metals together, but from the photos you can see how its looking so for on the bench. You can also see how much of a gap there is where the reducers and rear section meet which I will hammer / clamp down to make welding easier.

Im also going to weld a small lug between the rear sections as well for a little rigidity, and this system is a lot 'looser' than stock.

I will be using an exhaust sealant in the slip-fit sections that will still have clamps as well.

see pics below

Mr. Black (06-16-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 02:39 AM
tigertim20
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

all fitted up.
Ill take more pics if anyone is interested before I take the car off the jack stands.

But it is all fitted up, and looks pretty good. Not a lot of room to take good photos under there! but all installed, along with the new Borla ATAK exhaust which arrived yesterday.

I will say that looking at the Borla, which, I sort of thought was a 'premium' brand, I did expect a bit better quality with things like the welds which werent great. - they'll seal just fine, but few things like a little bit of under cut, splatter and unequal leg length on some of the welds made the welding quality a little inconsistent.

and Im VERY happy with how it all sounds now.
VFR RC46 (06-21-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To 1-7/8" Speed Engineering Long Tube Header Review

Quick Reply: 1-7/8" Speed Engineering Long Tube Header Review