C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1995 lt1

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 01:31 PM
Droldaerd
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1995 lt1

Hello everyone.

I recently purchased a corvette, everything was gravely for the first 500 miles aside from the noisey PS pump. I was headed to the market when the PS went out. I drove to the nearest auto parts store and figured it had just started running low on fluid. As I'm filling it back up, I notice that it's practically dumping all under PS pump. So I figured a seal in the pump or one of the lines ruptured. Guess ill just take her home I thought.

While im driving her home, the car starts spuddering, proceeds to backfire a few times as I give it a little gas, then dies out. Try to start it a couple times, it starts rough, then dies, then wont start all together. So I sadly have it towed home, a few muffler scrapes through the process (Shes just ssooo looowwwwwww!) and I've started taking her apart.

The PS pump I am not too concerned with, because anticipating the problem when I bought her and eyeing preformance, I already have a GM pump and Aluminum billet pulley ready to go. The questions I have for the masses are, "are the problems related and how do I go about diagnosing the no start."

Some background on the car.

-yes it has gas, I added 3-4 gallons of fresh gas just in case.

-bbk throttle bodies

-flowmaster true dual

-aeromotive fuel preassure regulator

-walbro 255 lph fuel pump

-msd distributor cap and ignition coil

-taylor 10.8mm inigition cables

I'm a moderate mechanic, but I usually work on sport bikes. Ive started taking the car apart to deal with the PS pump. Ive noticed things like loose and missing accessory mounting bolts, missing fuel rail covers, broken accessory bracket, missing alternator support brackets, missing PS reservoir bracket, ect. Ive opted to replace most of the items. It is my GUESS that given the leak vacinity, the pump fluid doused the distributor cap and im hoping all I have to do is take it all apart, clean it, and ill be right as rain.

Oooorrrr maybe the problems have no correlation other than the time they happened and ill be a sad little boy even after putting everything back together. Id love a little help on how get her back on the road.

Today before work, ill be spending the day taking the rest of the accessory items off and checking back periodically here.

Thanks

-Drol

Last edited by Droldaerd; 01-12-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:52 PM
fredk
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I feel bad for you. Just don't throw parts at it get them checked out. Good luck, when they run right they are awesome. I have the same colour.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:59 PM
Droldaerd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fredk
I feel bad for you. Just don't throw parts at it get them checked out.
Oh yes most definitely. I had just already planned to change these current ones out due to the pump pulley whirling all over the place and wanting a lighter pulley. Turns out 2 of the mounting bolts werent on. One of them just dangling there waiting to detonate the pulley and anything else near it.

Last edited by Droldaerd; 01-12-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:51 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 434 Likes on 395 Posts

I take it when the PS Pump spilled it flooded the front of Motor which could mean that your Opti Spark Distributor is now Very Oily inside ? Could be the Cause of your Stumble.

Last edited by s carter; 01-12-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:55 PM
Droldaerd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by s carter
I take it when the PS Pump spilled it flooded the front of Motor which could mean the your Opti Spark Distributor is now Very Oily? Could be the Cause of your Stumble.
Yup. This is what I was considering most. I havent had a chance to spark test because I haven't had anyone able to come down and help me with it (I live in the boonies). Because of the mess though, the location of it, and a few botched repairs from previous owner, was thinking of taking it all apart anyways and giving it all the good 'ol TLC.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:50 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Droldaerd
Yup. This is what I was considering most. I havent had a chance to spark test because I haven't had anyone able to come down and help me with it (I live in the boonies). Because of the mess though, the location of it, and a few botched repairs from previous owner, was thinking of taking it all apart anyways and giving it all the good 'ol TLC.
I would reach out to the optidoctor, he rebuilds them and tests them. He has an ebay store, but he is also on here as well....very knowledgeable
Old 01-19-2019, 05:13 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I think you’re on the right track. While it’s possible the problems are unrelated, it’s highly unlikely. If the Opti was working fine prior to taking a bath in power steering fluid, then it should be fine if you take it apart and clean it all up. Being that you have a 95, your original Opti (assuming it’s still original) is more robust than any aftermarket unit available today so if you can clean it up and get it to work again you’ll be best off.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:53 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

I had a heater hose pop right at the water pump on my 95. Drenched the front of the engine. Before I could even get stopped it started bucking. Once I got the opti off, you could see the fluids inside of it. Replaced the cap but kept everything else, including the Mitsu sensor. That was 7 years ago and still going good.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:52 PM
Droldaerd
Intermediate

Sorry for the late reply. Been so busy .Got the car back together. Turns out a wire came loose off the ignition coil. I don't think that is suppose to happen! Anyways, shes running good. Still have a power steering issue, but returning the system to oem plus aluminum pulley. Almost mod time for her!
The following users liked this post:
Benny42 (01-30-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To 1995 lt1

Quick Reply: 1995 lt1