Sponsored by:

This is for the old timers

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 12:44 PM
C376FL
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default This is for the old timers

I have worked on cars all my life. In the late sixtys I got a 63 convertable with a 340 hp. 327 from a guy who had 2 54 a, 67 and this 63. He also had a cheetah he was working on. The 63 was in a small wreck, which he was fixing the glass work on. He worked for a place called Presley Corvette in Ft. Worth Texas. They did glass work on corvettes in the day. So he was good with fiberglass. The engine in the 63 had just been redone. The problem he had the hood off while he was working on it. You might guess what happened when it rained. When I got it home the first thing was tear the engine down and have the pistons reringed. They were not that bad with rust, but while i was at it, have them done. Got it back together and it ran great. Had a 67 GMC pickup with a big v six. I pulled the engine out and got a 283 from a guy. Moved the trans mount up to the next bolt holes, had the drive shaft lengthen 4 inches. Did not scare me one bit, in those days. But here is where the problem lies. Anything I need to do scares the hell out of me, when it comes to pull part off the engine. I guess I am afraid I will screw something up. Is it just me or do some of you older guys have this problem. My 76 could stand valve stems guides I believe, and some other things. I am on a fixed income, so it is not possible to farm it out. Wate before someone jumps in about not getting a collector car if you can't pay someone to work on it. Why should I deny myself some of the fun of having an old car again.
Thanks for any in put.
Larry
The following users liked this post:
jackson (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 01:22 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

get some poly clothesline. pull the plugs. 12 buck lever style valve spring compressor. umbrella seals 25 bucks. pop the springs and wiggle the guides. if not real bad, put in the seals. this car isn't getting 12k miles a year i assume?
OldCarBum (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 01:30 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Ah, just do it, when things are tight you worry about stuff like that dont let it keep you from driving it. sbc are totally reliable

DId you find the V6 made more torque than the 283 did?
Old 01-13-2019, 05:23 PM
C376FL
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes it did but it weighted a ton. I can't rember if it had some other problems or I just wanted to get it out.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:05 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by C376FL
I have worked on cars all my life. In the late sixtys ... But here is where the problem lies. Anything I need to do scares the hell out of me, when it comes to pull part off the engine. I guess I am afraid I will screw something up. Is it just me or do some of you older guys have this problem. ...
Larry
I do what I can, and what I can't or don't want to do, I'll have it done. Luckily I can still do the vast majority of stuff. When that changes, and more work is being done by a shop and less by me, then I'll decide if it's worth it TO ME to keep the old cars. And I'm not talking about just the money thing, but the ability to do the work myself. Hey, I'm not 65 anymore!
C376FL (01-16-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 04:35 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 544 Posts

I am an older guy, so I am wiser than you might be. Take a lot of pictures. Use your phone. No, To take the pictures, not call for help. Don't look for the roll of film. ( That is kind of what my grandson told me once). Use the internet for questions. Don't believe much of it anyway. And the most valuable resource you have is this formum. You might get conflicting answers to your question. Or maybe three or four ways of doing it the RIGHT way. You will have to sort that out. I usually try and use the 2 out of 3 rule, makes it right. Or maybe 9 out of 10. As said above, that engine is so simple anyone can work on it. That probably is the problem today. Seriously though, you have been around these things long enough that you have an idea of what you need to do, and what you might have to ask for help. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
C376FL (01-16-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 05:54 PM
M Pete
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You may want to join the local Corvette Club and see if there is anyone there who can give assistance. The one in Tampa meets up in the Seffner area which is not too far away from you. Monthly meetings and they are very active with cruises and car shows. https://www.tampabayvettes.com/
C376FL (01-16-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 06:40 PM
suprspooky
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

Being in my late 50's I can already understand where you are coming from. My 2 cents, if you are physically capable, go for it (bending over the fender of my 68 is the worst of it) this forum has a large number of folks that will get you back on track if you encounter a problem. Keeping active in a hobby like this should be a health benefit,unless you're fighting big block lack of room issues
C376FL (01-16-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 06:59 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

suprspooky, muscle relaxer pills are your friend! I'm no spring chicken either. I am wondering how old cor66vette is? Lou.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:02 PM
suprspooky
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by loup68
suprspooky, muscle relaxer pills are your friend! I'm no spring chicken either. I am wondering how old cor66vette is? Lou.
I'm not willing to cut back on my Beer consumption due to a little pain. I've found generic Aleve works wonders. I try to stay out of the Dr. Office so until they offer the good stuff over the counter I'll tough it out

Thankfully we're living during a Beer renaissance
Old 01-18-2019, 06:12 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 544 Posts

Here is my solution to old age generated pains. In order not to get dependent on one class of pills and develope side effects my schedule is one day Advil, one day Tylenol and one day scotch. Repeat as needed.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:20 AM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts

Larry, I applaud you for keeping the hobby.
You have a lot of experience-Put it to use and get the he'll out of the house! Have fun.

Get notified of new replies

To This is for the old timers

Quick Reply: This is for the old timers