C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Radiator Fan Switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 05:57 PM
Ved
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Fan Switch

Hi Guys,

My radiator fan switches on at around 185 Degrees Fahrenheit, which means that it is basically working constantly. The switch is an AC Delco D1852B - the switch is new, as the the coolant temperature sensor and the thermostat. I believe that the radiator fan is meant to switch on at higher temperatures (~210 or more Degrees Fahrenheit). Does anyone know how I could correct the issue so that the fan switches on the at temperatures that it should. Is this a switch issue, or something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ved
Old 01-15-2019, 07:23 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Ved
Hi Guys,

My radiator fan switches on at around 185 Degrees Fahrenheit, which means that it is basically working constantly. The switch is an AC Delco D1852B - the switch is new, as the the coolant temperature sensor and the thermostat. I believe that the radiator fan is meant to switch on at higher temperatures (~210 or more Degrees Fahrenheit). Does anyone know how I could correct the issue so that the fan switches on the at temperatures that it should. Is this a switch issue, or something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ved

How have you arrived at what you believe the temperature? What year? For most years that switch is used for the AUX FAN or maybe to 'over-ride' a primary fan for other years. Year and how wired dictates how that switch is used!
Old 01-16-2019, 01:29 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

I have that same CTS in my '84, and it cycles my radiator fan on and off just fine. I haven't tested the on-off temps of my sensor with an accurate thermometer, but the specs I've been able to find list the on-off temps at 215 on and 200 off. All specs have a +/- tolerance, but your reading seems a long way off those numbers. As WVZR-1 asked,"how did you determine your numbers?"

Old 01-16-2019, 01:44 AM
JoBy
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

A/C pressure switch will also start the cooling fan.

This is for 1984:

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator Fan Switch

Quick Reply: Radiator Fan Switch