C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 12:30 PM
Josephcat
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Oil Leak

Back in late November I took my 05 into dealer because of a minor oil leak. They (the dealer) diagnosed as a oil pan gasket leak and replaced it. At that time I also had the oil sending unit replaced as it was not working with gauge pegging out at max. Total cost to do all of this was around 1500+ as I recall (they also had to do the front end alignment because to get at oil pan had to drop front end.

About a week later i noticed oil on garage (not a lot just drop or two like before I took it to dealer) floor and because I couldn't remember if I has wiped up the oil prior i cleaned it and couple days later found more drops.

Took it back to dealer and after a bit they said they couldn't find any leak and must have been residual from when they had "fixed" it originally. They said they cleaned it well and should be fine. well, couple days later more leak (about same amount and took it back in. They again replaced the gasket and this time sealed the bolts around pan and lines . (why they didn't do that originally/)

This morning again about a week later more oil. (about same amount).

Has anyone had this continuous problem? What are they missing?

Last edited by Josephcat; 01-16-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:10 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Can you look under the car for a location of the leak, that would be helpful to diagnose. Passenger side, driver side, front or rear of engine?

1. If your car is equipped with engine oil cooler lines, check those.
2. Power steering line could be leaking or even the power steering shaft might be weeping oil.
3. Check fluid levels on both, and smell the leaking oil to determine if it is engine oil or power steering fluid.

I just had two oil leaks repaired. One, I knew was the power steering hose. The other was located near the oil filter. I thought possibly the rear main seal. I replaced the oil filter, just for the process of elimination. It turned out to be the engine oil cooler lines.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 01-16-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:57 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

put dye in the oil... black light it to find out EXACTLY where the oil leak is coming from...

I would be PISSED if a dealer charged me 1500 bucks to change a pan gasket if it really WASNT the pan gasket to begin with and they did zero diagnostics to determine the source of the leak.

Last edited by rjacobs; 01-16-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:31 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Leak

Quick Reply: Oil Leak