Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 07:25 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 464 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21-'22
Default Corvette Club Membership

I'm wondering how many folks here belong to and participate in a club (not counting CorvetteForum.com), either on a local or national level.
If so, What club do you belong to? What are the benefits that you feel justify membership? How active are you in the club?
If not, What factors weighed in your descision against joining?

There seem to be many options out there. Would like to hear what folks have to say.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:35 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

This sounds like a fair question.
I've been asked several times to join a local club but decided not to. Mostly because the club has a strong base in the late model cars rather than the C2/C3's. This being the case, most of the owners don't seem to be very "hands on".
It tends to be more of a restaurant, wine tasting club.
I enjoyed car clubs years ago when meets would be held in members garages where one was overhauling his differential or installing/upgrading his engine. Or we'd meet at a car show, sometimes a bar, but NEVER at a restaurant.
I miss that kind of car club.

Last edited by Greg; 01-16-2019 at 07:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rmgny44 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 07:43 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

My local club has asked me several times to join. My parents were members for many many years and dad was even President of the club for a period of time. My issue is that it's all old couples that bought their cars, didn't put the work into building them. I'd probably be at least 20 years younger than the next youngest person. Not quite my crowd.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:09 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I pretty much echo Greg's comment. What I've seen is mostly the wine tasting crowd as well, and they're chock full of late model Corvettes. I too would be more interested in exactly what he said, meeitings in member's garages where people do actual work.
Greg (01-18-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 09:09 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm a member of our local club here in Brisbane, Oz. Have made many friends in the club and there are some really knowledgeable people with many years of experience with
vettes and other makes of vehicles. I don't go on every run, as I have limited funds, but ours is a great club.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:21 PM
radioguy
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do belong to a club.... the Carolina Classic Corvette Club. We are a club of C1-C4 Corvettes. I bought my 71 and met these guys after I bought it. I had no idea they even existed before. We are a group of guys who like to get together and just hang out. We go to car shows together, we meet and eat a couple fo times a year. We don't hop on the freeway and drive fast. We like taking the back roads. I think I could ask for help doing something to my car and any number of them would show up to help. Its a great group of guys with a bunch of cool cars.
procketus (01-19-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 10:03 PM
Norm07
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

What Greg said....

Last edited by Norm07; 01-16-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Greg (01-18-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 10:36 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Car clubs are a good thing!

I was a member of the Carolina Classic Club and it was great to meet so many people with a like interest.
They would get together a few times a year for a road trip, We would get together someplace (like the parking lot at Ikea) and caravan someplace. We took a day trip to Lake Lure once, another time we went to one of the consignment car dealers where they have hundreds of cars for sale and yes we occasionally just drove to a restaurant.
It's a good opportunity to meet people that will share their knowledge on most any question that you might have your Corvette.

A few times a year there is a swap meet at the Charlotte Motor Speedway so if your going anyway why not park inside the speedway with the other members and show off your car while you look for something you might need.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:40 PM
Carl Granquist
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I also agree with Greg. Opportunity to learn and share, and the value is what you make of it. In the greater Puget Sound region there are several clubs like you describe for older Cameros and Mustangs and Mopar stuff. Connections through car shows. Haven't seen it for older Corvettes though, which is disappointing because we're not going away are we.
Greg (01-18-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 10:53 PM
Bills17n72
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 359 Posts

I belong to a small club in greenville michigan , we dont get to excited about importint things ,we do a few shows a year ,and just a bunch of friends getting together,and having a good time ,we go up to mackinaw city mi. every august and have a good time !
Old 01-16-2019, 10:56 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Great feedback folks! It seems that I'm certainly not alone with my observations of local clubs.
I don't mind folks being older or younger, I think it's great that different generations can find a common interest and have interesting conversations regarding it.
When I got my first Harley, I was in my early twenties, and I always loved chewing the fat with the older guys with a million miles under their butt. It taught me a lot about bikes and riding.
However, in my area, I definitely see the majority of the members are driving C5, C6 & C7 Corvettes, not that there's anything wrong with that, they're all Corvettes and they're all beautiful.
I just don't know if I want to be the only guy in the club with a carburetor, not to mention no AC. I'm sure most of the runs are "jump in and drive" to breakfast, lunch, etc.
As we all know, the "classics" take a bit more finesse and care on road trips.
I'm still up in the air about joining a local club. I like the idea of socializing and good "Car Talk". I guess finding the right fit. I love the idea of a "classic Corvette" club.

Last edited by fastimes; 01-16-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:05 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

fastimes,
There is absolutely nothing wrong with those social type clubs with the late model cars. They share a sense of cameraderie and have fun with it. Just because it doesn't work for me personally, doesn't mean they're not worth joining. If there is a local club in your area, and you haven't belonged to one before, join up and make the best of it. Worst that could happen is you make a few new friends.
Greg
Old 01-16-2019, 11:08 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Fastimes, I see you're in Henderson as am I. I have not joined any local corvette clubs. I've been to 1 local Corvette club event and they were not that welcoming so I didn't bother joining. I usually go to the car show on Eastern on Saturday mornings, and do park over in the Corvette area. Most of the club members own the newer models, I like all yrs so I don't discriminate. I like many different makes and models of cars and always end up shooting the bull with someone.
I did go to an autocross event, several of the members from the Henderson vette club were there that day. I was driving my Camaro, but they were all cool. When I lived in AZ, I was a member of a loosely knit internet Corvette club, attended several of their events. Its like anything, some guys really get into clubs, some folks are very nice. If I had more time, I might join a club someday.
fastimes (01-17-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 11:32 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Ok and I have been a member of a number of Corvette clubs over the past 10 years, sometimes very active but not too active at the moment. Right now, I am a member of 2 Corvette clubs. I really like the Corvette clubs and recommend you try them out. Agree, a lot of members, maybe 75%, own the later models. However, there is always a group of gearheads too, that I enjoy trading stories and advice with. And all of them will happily talk Corvettes so you always have something in common with all of them. And there is always NCRS which I think has a higher percentage of gearheads than the social clubs. The social clubs have a great time caravanning to car shows, out to eat, and provides a great social venue for the spouses too so the whole Corvette thing does not become just a guy thing which I like. The clubs in Louisiana are very active, for example, in a couple of weeks, one of the clubs here routinely organizes a Valentine get together at a local restaurant and I would guess there are easily over a 100 Corvettes there of most all years. My hat is off to the folks that organize all of this stuff, they do a great job and people always have a fun time. I believe that if you are not a member of a local Corvette club or at least give it a try, you are missing out on part of the whole Corvette experience. For what it is worth, I was not a member of any club, especially a social club until I got involved in Corvettes. Now, I can not imagine not being a member of a local Corvette club as I would be missing out. One view for what it is worth.

Last edited by 20mercury; 01-16-2019 at 11:41 PM.
fastimes (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:01 AM
txfatboy1
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

I just joined the Lone Star Corvette Club so I can't give an opinion about being a member just yet. I have been in clubs in the past, and although I enjoyed it, I found I usually wasn't an exact "fit". Pretty much everything I own is modified in some way and I found most of the core group has been the numbers matching, all original type.... which is great if thats what you like. I expect to be driving my 71 within a month so this year will be the litmus test for me. I did notice that the group photos usually are populated with members that look like they could be my parents... and I'm in my 50's... LOL.
For the nominal fee (usually), if you haven't been in one, go ahead and join. You may find something that you like to do, and as said earlier, may meet some really cool people along the way. If it doesn't work out, don't renew.
fastimes (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:25 AM
Kyle'56
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, most of the corvette clubs are late model clubs. Long road trips and high speed course racing. I may be young and appreciate those things but the c1 and c3 in the garage enjoy a cool 40 mph cruise to the ice cream shop. All things considered, join for the purpose of networking, if not, sporadically drop in at one of their meetings they are usually welcoming of non-members. You never know what someone may have in their garage for sale.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:39 AM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 110 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Although I no longer belong to a club, I have to admit that I don't get the C-3 out of the garage as often as I used to.

Regards,
Tom69

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Club Membership

Old 01-17-2019, 08:59 AM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 436 Likes on 195 Posts

I'm a member and Webmaster of Corvette Super Sports for the last 12 years.We are one of the oldest (1959) Corvette clubs in the nation. Were are a very active club with Vettes ranging from C1 -C7 and we are known for our annual " CSS car show at Hooters in Anaheim" along with many other events.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:59 AM
rmgny44
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

I belonged to a local club for a year but didn't renew. Mostly C7 owners and to be honest a bit cliquish! I was hoping for more of a classic Corvette group and the local club just wasn't it! I do belong to the National and local chapter of NCRS.
Hey Fastimes and Sunstroked lets start our own C3 club. Sunstroked, you and I already met at Car Show on Eastern! Hope to see you there this Saturday

Last edited by rmgny44; 01-17-2019 at 09:16 AM.
fastimes (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:31 AM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rmgny44
I belonged to a local club for a year but didn't renew. Mostly C7 owners and to be honest a bit cliquish! I was hoping for more of a classic Corvette group and the local club just wasn't it! I do belong to the National and local chapter of NCRS.
Hey Fastimes and Sunstroked lets start our own C3 club. Sunstroked, you and I already met at Car Show on Eastern! Hope to see you there this Saturday
Thanks rmgny44. I've been considering attending a meeting of the local NCRS chapter. My car is far from being a show car or NCRS candidate, but perhaps I can gain a bit of knowledge with them. I would think their focus is on older generation Corvettes.
A Classic Corvette Club in the area might be a good thing. Generations C1 through C4.

Quick Reply: Corvette Club Membership